Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 11:06   #76
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

Congratulations Ken - hope you enjoy your new baby!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 11:14   #77
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Were they not happy with the sailing performance so they decided to ad more weight?
Old 24-12-2012, 11:18   #78
CF Adviser

I can't imagine that the changed bulkhead cutouts will add any weight and, with respect to increased tankage, they likely will not add weight either if one chooses not to take advantage of the increased capacity.

Brad
Old 24-12-2012, 11:44   #79
Marine Service Provider

I think one of the assumptions when buying a 35' cat is knowing a 35' cat can't handle a large amount of tankage. I think one of the assumptions of the Gemini dealers is that anyone buying one has little interest in knowing the capacities of small multihulls!
Old 24-12-2012, 12:39   #80
CF Adviser

Boatguy, its only an additional 20 gallons to a total of 56 (which is hardly 'large' tankage) and it certainly beats carrying jerry cans for those who feel the need to carry more than in the original specifications! Anyway, as I said, if you prefer not to carry the additional fuel, you wouldn't have to.

As I see it, a proud new owner was merely updating us on the specs of the 35 and surely increased headroom at the entrance to the aft staterooms and the potential to carry a bit more fuel are positives, rather than negatives meriting your derisive response.

I can understand why you wouldn't like the Legacy, or find it suitable for your purposes (and it wouldn't suit mine either). What I don't understand is why you would choose to mock some rather minor and, IMO logical improvements to the design and specifications of the boat. Any more than I can understand why you would choose to attack the bridgedeck clearance on SMJ's Seawind based upon your suspect calculations, rather than actual experience and a measurement!

Brad
Old 24-12-2012, 15:19   #81
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Boatguy, its only an additional 20 gallons to a total of 56 (which is hardly 'large' tankage) and it certainly beats carrying jerry cans for those who feel the need to carry more than in the original specifications! Brad
I suppose the generator running the AC is going to eat some fuel too. There's little ventilation, so AC will popular.

My personal favorite was the starboard winch set up: nine lines terminating in jammers feeding a single winch, which can only be reached by the pilot and is outside of the enclosure (can't sail with the enclosure up). Which gets back to why fuel tankage is important. I was told they were marketing these to a "different kind of sailor."
Old 24-12-2012, 15:26   #82

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think one of the assumptions when buying a 35' cat is knowing a 35' cat can't handle a large amount of tankage.

Glad we didnt get a 35' cat, ours carries 76 gallons of diesel. And 66 gal of water and oh wait its only 32' long............bang head. Also arent packet cats 35' and carry a ton of tankage?????
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 15:30   #83
Marine Service Provider

Jealousy is a curse!

They are quite obviously a great machine which explains why so many people are buying and enjoying them!!
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 15:58   #84
Marine Service Provider

To clarify, my comment on the Seawind involved stock bridedeck clearance vs. what might be gained by adding the scoops.

I think "great machine" will be very hard to justify as there is zero objective data on the boats ability. The 105C was an OK boat along the lines of a Catalina 27 being an OK boat. It would appear the 35 is a much worse boat except for then "certain type" of sailor.

the AMI cat tries to do a good job of what the Vardo will do an excellent job of. IE decent load carrying and performance. I think it's hard to call a IP 35 a cat. More like a barge or some combination of IP 27 married together. M

anyhow, apologies all around to those offended. I don't think this thread was ever intend to be a "hey what a great boat" thread.

Hopefully this post won't be delete as another of mine was as the moderators though I was unfairly critiquing a competitor by citing well proven multihull concepts and standards.
Old 24-12-2012, 16:37   #85

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Good points. Packet really is like a barge. Or massive trihull. The legacy is nicer than the 105. It has wider which should help w load it has nicer cockpit and it looks feels better. Not totaly sure how well she will hold up compared to the 105. For the money i did expect a bit more finish and perfection.i will say the guys attitude at the dock sucked. Both were so engrossed facebooking or texting playing games etc they couldnt be bothered to even say hello and or acknowledge people touring the boat. Really looki g forward to real owners performance / habdling reports
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2012, 05:54   #86
CF Adviser

Boatguy, no one is suggesting that this was (or should be) a 'what a great boat thread'. Only that your comments in response to a new owner's update with respect to a couple of minor improvements to the original specifications (and like the boat or not, they are improvements) wasn't necessry. As to critiques of the design generally, obviously fair game.

Cheers!

Brad
Old 07-02-2013, 10:56   #87

Boat: Hanse 348

I am seriously looking the Legacy 35. I am wondering if there is some real data on pricing and sales. I have seen one person here who has purchased. I am wondering if there is anyone else, or does anyone know of a Gemini forum or group (google or yahoo) that are worthwhile. thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:27   #88

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe these will help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2013 Gemini Legacy 35 pricing.pdf (66.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: pdf Gemini_hull.pdf (358.3 KB, 263 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:09   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
does anyone know of a Gemini forum or group (google or yahoo) that are worthwhile. thanks.
Gemini_Cats : Gemini Catamarans
Steve Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 19:35   #90

Boat: gemini 105
pirate Re: New Gemini Legacy 35

Ok I got a job to move this boat from St pete to Key West and then to Miami. First off let me say I loved the gemini 105 and owned a 3400 years ago so I was a fan of p-cruising. The boat was brand new and first thing I liked was the twin props, but good luck working on them (stuffed in there). I have countless hours working on the old dog leg and was happy to see that go. I saw alot of Hunter designs in this boat, I like to call it fluff. Now into the Gulf alone and it handles very well , 1 foot no worries. got to Key west, dual props great for parking, Off to Miami and a 3 feet chop in hawks channel. I was getting pounded like a tough steak. This boat was empty with no real gear on it, I have a old prout and the ride is about the same. The owner paid 230k for this boat, it was nice and I enjoyed it but for the money , a used PDQ or 38 lagoon would be a much better choice. P-cruising had a concept of a cheaper boat for us not so weathly guys and hunter has missed the mark on this one. This one will make its mark for budget sailors buying used ones 5-10 years from now from charter companies.
crazycat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gemini