Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2015, 12:43   #16

Re: Need the Details: Customs from BVIs to USVIs and back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
Enter at Cruz Bay. Easy and quickly done. Make sure everyone goes with you (not Captain alone).
The only thing that matters is that EVERYONE on board has a B1/B2 visa or has entered the US (prior to entering with your boat) on a commercial carrier (i.e. airplane/ferry). Once in you don't have to report anything apart from when you enter Puerto Rico from the VI's. You have to report again to customs as you are entering from a "offshore" territory. You can do that in Fajardo (I strongly recommend) and stay at the Sun Bay Marina (a cute family owned marina with great hospitality and reasonable prices).
I have had only good experience with HS in both VI's and Fajardo. Polite, helpful and friendly.
To haul out you will probably have to turn to Puerto Del Ray. Expensive, rude (almost) and usually full. Better reserve a place way ahead or try a different location. Ask in Sun Bay Marina. They might be able to help you or find something suitable in their facility.
Good luck and happy sailing!
I would add suggestion that when going to PR from the USVI you consider stopping and clearing in at Culebra in the Spanish Virgins. We found it quick and easy, and the SVI deserve several days (or weeks) of your cruising time. And from St. Thomas, you can sail over and clear in and still have time for a late lunch in Culebra the same day....

But - DO read and understand the rules, and follow them carefully. US authorities can be very picky and difficult if they choose to. Perhaps my worst experience ever (after decades and dozens of ins/outs all over the Caribbean) with authorities was in Ponce, PR, upon arrival from the DR last February. I won't bother with details unless anyone wants to hear them......
wcapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 15:24   #17

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
Once in you don't have to report anything apart from when you enter Puerto Rico from the VI's. !
The last two times I went to SVI/PR I was told that I also had to make the phone report when entering each "port" area, and Vieques, Culebra, Fajardo, Ponce, etc are different "ports". Not a big deal but I was told I had ot make the call, and that matches the written rules. This is in addition to the "in person" clearing mentioned by Atraxia, which is required when arriving in PR or SVI from USVI but noth the other way around.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 16:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenIssue View Post
Why even post this? you are not helping anyone with your I'm so cool did that in '86 ego stuff. Just save it and let the people who are going to help reply.
Sheesh...
Well, because the answer was pretty simple. If you go back and read this thread, you'll find it is only later that ANYONE mentioned folks who weren't US citizens.

Here's the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgriffin007 View Post
Sailed the BVIs a couple times, want to take some friends to St. John's and St. Thomas next April. Need help on how/where to navigate customs both ways. I've heard check out of BVIs at Soper's Hole, check into St. John's....where? And how do I go back? Thanks for the help....
See any mention of non-US citizens?

It's still easy if one would spend the time reading the govt websites and.or cruising guides which tell you exactly the same thing.

Like this great post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcapital View Post

But - DO read and understand the rules, and follow them carefully.
That's why.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 19:30   #19

Boat: PDQ 44i

St Johns customs house is at Cruz Bay. Hoist your "Q" flag. Pick up a mooring outside, and dinghy in. Entering the USA, everyone aboard needs to go to customs. Entering the BVI, only the captain goes to customs. Check out of every country when you leave and check into every country when you arrive. If you aren't staying long, inquire whether you can check in and out at the same time. Otherwise ask for a longer stay than you intend, so you don't have to go through the hassle of extending. Have fun.
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs