Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: If you won the lottery and the prize was a mono or catamaran which would you choose?
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new monohull 48 27.91%
I currently own a monohull and would choose a new cruising catamaran 38 22.09%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new monohull 3 1.74%
I currently own a catamaran and would choose a new catamaran 83 48.26%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18   #16
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Sean,

You might have mentioned that your beam is only 15'3"!!
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 13:58   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
I'll take the cat, sell it to someone ready to make the transition, put the money in the bank and leave on my existing Searunner 40 trimaran for somewhere over the horizon.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 14:51   #18
cruiser

Here's what surprises me... so far there are 26 catamaran owners who checked the box in the poll. I didn't realize there were that many of us.

Come on guys... any more lurkers out there?
Old 09-05-2008, 19:17   #19

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
I recently owned a monohul while my friend was shiped out and I would choose a new custom GRAINGER because I have been e-mailing back and forth with them about designing a catamaran for me and they actually CARE!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:02   #20
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Here's what surprises me... so far there are 26 catamaran owners who checked the box in the poll. I didn't realize there were that many of us.

Ummmm... its a little unbalanced as its in the multihull forum.
I do detest all this multi v's mono stuff on CF. I did the dream boat thing to suggest a boat that I think would be my dream boat, not the specific number of hulls. There are much more important things like quality of build - in either mono or multi; sea keeping - in mono or multi; sea worthiness - in mono or multi.... etc

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:05   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Ummmm... its a little unbalanced as its in the multihull forum.
Mark, you managed to find it OK, but point taken, why don't you begin a new poll
Old 10-05-2008, 09:42   #22

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
I have had two monohulls, then a trimaran. Unless I just wanted to do one design racing, I could never go back to one hull. I did, however come down one hull to a catamaran. I couldn't imagine a more suitable type of boat for cruising. The only downsides are the initial price (but it keeps its value), and once in a while not being able to get a marina. However, these marinas usually couldn't take a much larger monohull either, and they would have paid a higher rate.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:44   #23

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins
Once again... GUNBOAT... and...
A completely restored Vivacity 20' twin keel.

mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 18:42   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I would substitute the word multihull for catamaran so it includes trimaran owners. I would chose a Marples CC44 trimaran or maybe stick with a tried and true classic and have my Searunner 40 recreated in modern high tech composites and stretched out about 3 feet.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 20:09   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
You cannot compare apples with apples in choosing between the 2 types of sailboats nor can you compare with the many reasons for weighing your personal priorities, in making that decision.

Having said that, with all the marketing hype and increased cost per ton to buy a catamaran, together with all the nervous multi-hull owners pushing their choice to keep the perceived value higher, for X amount of $$$ I would chose a mono hull as I would get better value in today’s market.

Also, my personal preference living in a Typhoon area is a solid foot in the water in heavy seas.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:01   #26

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
nervous multi-hull owners
[daily show]Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!![/daily show]

2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:32   #27
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Thanks Pelagic for the inciteful (and clearly unbiased) analysis of the issue - monohulls cost less per pound (or ton) than multis and therefore are to be preferred. Forget about the fact that much of the tonnage of a mono is made up of lead or cast iron, forget about the fact that many cats are now using finite stress analysis and high tech materials and construction precisely for the purpose of keeping weight down - they cost more per pound! Duhhhhhhhhhhhh! I never thought of that!

I guess I better stop buying lobster, strip loin steak and palatable wines. I see the light. From now on its only hamburger, craft dinner and bag wine for me. Yes, 'if I had a million dollars', I would still eat Kraft dinner - I'd just eat more!!!!!

Pelagic, in this 'money is no object' thread, do you really think that is the best that can be said to support buying a monohull?

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:32   #28

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
You cannot compare apples with apples in choosing between the 2 types of sailboats nor can you compare with the many reasons for weighing your personal priorities, in making that decision.

Having said that, with all the marketing hype and increased cost per ton to buy a catamaran, together with all the nervous multi-hull owners pushing their choice to keep the perceived value higher, for X amount of $$$ I would chose a mono hull as I would get better value in today’s market.

Also, my personal preference living in a Typhoon area is a solid foot in the water in heavy seas.
How much does lead cost per ton?
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:58   #29
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
By the way Pelagic, I am not a monohull basher. I understand why some would prefer a monohull; indeed, having owned both I still subjectively prefer a number of things about certain monohulls:

1. Appearance. I still love the look of a traditional mono with some overhangs, a sweeping sheer and relatively low freeboard.
2. I prefer the motion of a well balanced mono when sailing to windward.
3. I prefer the 'seat of the pants feeling' one gets in sailing a well-balanced monohull. You are closer to the water, the boat reacts instantly to wind gusts with increased heeling, and there is often a greater subjective feeling of speed.
4. There is something romantic and inviting about a cozy, if smaller traditional saloon with lots of teak, bronze, etc., etc.

What I don't understand is a monohull owner who chooses to turn some interesting musings about personal preferences into a personal attack on those who prefer multihulls. I purchased a cat because, on balance, I preferred it to a mono for my present purposes/needs; I did NOT do so as a result of 'marketing hype'. There are some real advantages, whether or not you choose to blind yourself to them.

Further, I am not 'nervous', but rather elated about my choice. And I am decidedly not part of some Machiavellian plot of 'all the nervous multihullers pushing their choice to keep the perceived value higher'. I thought I had heard some bizarre conspiracy theories in the past, but this makes Senator Joe McCarthy's fictional list of card-carrying communists in positions of power in the US government seem positively benign. Truly sad, Pelagic. Truly sad.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:09   #30

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post

1. Appearance. I still love the look of a traditional mono with some overhangs, a sweeping sheer and relatively low freeboard.
2. I prefer the motion of a well balanced mono when sailing to windward.
3. I prefer the 'seat of the pants feeling' one gets in sailing a well-balanced monohull. You are closer to the water, the boat reacts instantly to wind gusts with increased heeling, and there is often a greater subjective feeling of speed.
4. There is something romantic and inviting about a cozy, if smaller traditional saloon with lots of teak, bronze, etc., etc.

Further, I am not 'nervous', but rather elated about my choice. And I am decidedly not part of some Machiavellian plot of 'all the nervous multihullers pushing their choice to keep the perceived value higher'. I thought I had heard some bizarre conspiracy theories in the past, but this makes Senator Joe McCarthy's fictional list of card-carrying communists in positions of power in the US government seem positively benign. Truly sad, Pelagic. Truly sad.

Brad

Bravo, bravo...well said Brad! I love my cat and would not give it up but also enjoy ALL of the nice things about a mono that you have mentioned above.

Funny on the conspiracy theory also.

Keegan
Keegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull