Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2011, 18:16   #1
Marine Service Provider

Melbourne AUS - Shared Cat Ownership

Hi there,

I'm looking to form a partnership with a like-minded owner (half share).

At the moment I'm thinking a used Fountaine Pajot around 35-38 ft. A Lagoon 38 could be the go but may be a tad expensive.

Likely mooring to be Westernport or maybe Port Phillip subject to availability, but was thinking that even the Gippsland Lakes could be a possibility for at least some of the year.

As a matter of interest I picked up a brochure at the Docklands boat show for a Seawind syndicate in Melbourne. 10 shares at $8X,000 with $800 a month in running costs! Guaranteed 33 days a year per person, runs for 3 years and the boat is sold for what they can get. I can assure you, this partnership won't cost nearly as much as that!!!! and you can have 200+ days a year!

Give me a hoy if you are interested by PM or post here.

BC
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 14:51   #2

Re: Melbourne AUS - Shared Cat Ownership

BC,
If you haven't already read it, the latest edition (#106) of "Australian Multihull World" has a good article on boat share arrangements, both corporate and private.
The Seawind guys have cleverly marketed their boats in recent years, firstly using "Kevin Charter Heaven" tax incentives courtesy of us taxpayers and lately using the boat syndicate scheme. Good on them, I say.
Sure, the shares seem to make the boat very expensive in total, but you are paying a lot for the organisation of the syndicate, administration and legal arrangements.
Check with the Victorian boating authorities, as in Queensland there has been a recent tightening on syndicate boat registrations. Many boat share operations were deemed to be a "defacto charter operation" and hence needed vessels in survey. A couple of private owners sharing expenses, would not howver require survey in this state. A requirement for vessel survey is another reason for the expense of a boat syndicate scheme.

Good luck with your venture!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 19:18   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Melbourne AUS - Shared Cat Ownership

There is no doubt that the syndicate organizers are raking in a fair old wad of cash for the Seawind syndicate. Even if you doubled the reasonable running costs you wouldn't come close to what they are asking.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership