Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2011, 15:39   #1

Looking for Crewed Charter Info

I'm looking for info on a crewed charter on a cat somewhere for our families first sailing expierence. Our family consist of husband, wife and two teenage daughters. I would like to sail and dive and just spend a relaxing week enjoying this cruising lifestyle, without spending a fortune if possible. There must be some cat cruisers out there that provide this service a few weeks a year to supplement there lifestyle but I only have found the larger expensive companies so far? any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated.
Bryanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 15:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: looking for crewed charter info

Greetings and welcome.

It would probably help if you gave everyone an idea of what you think is affordable, and what is expensive.

Just using the terms is somewhat akin to saying that they are as long as a piece of sting.... no one can relate to it.

Just trying to be helpful
Old 06-07-2011, 16:39   #3

I'm not so much trying to focus on the cost but rather would like to hear reccomendations.
Old 06-07-2011, 16:44   #4

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I'm fairly sure the Tui Marine group (Moorings, Sunsail and Footloose) will all offer a captain and probably scuba as well. If not actually scuba off the boat, I'm sure they can take you to place on the cruise cruise that do. Footloose consists of boats that have come out of the Moorings and Sunsail, so is probably the cheapest. Tortola is their home base and I believe largest. Easy snorkeling and certainly diving options as well.

I've seen many of their catamarans out with scuba gear and what appeared to be one of their hired captains.

I'm sure there are other charter companies that do the same.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 16:49   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Your best bet for a crewed charter is to deal with an agent. They know the boats and the crews.
Old 06-07-2011, 17:00   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Barecat charters are located in Tortola, BVI. Considered a second tier charter business. Small family run business. They can provide a captain and cook for you.

http://www.barecat.com/

As a disclaimer, I know one of the boat owners and the manager. My friends are happy to keep their boat in their charter.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 17:06   #7

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

The agents might be able to find deals on unused "owner's time". Your request is kind of tough, because for many sailors, a skippered/crewed catamaran charter is somewhat of a "luxury cruise". And, the top-tier, more expensive companies might perhaps provide a more dependable or smooth experience for you as first-time sailors, so there are trade-offs here.

Maybe it would help somewhat if you also gave people an idea of the sorts of lodgings you prefer to stay in when you travel; do you enjoy primitive remote wildnerness backpack camping under the stars or is the penthouse suite at the Four Seasons more your idea of roughing it?
Old 06-07-2011, 18:24   #8

we are used to camping, so as long as there is some sort of bed involved we would be OK. Just trying to learn and expose everyone to this potiential lifestyle, while enjoying some diving and beach time.
Old 06-07-2011, 18:38   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving

do you want to pay 3k,,,,5k,,,,10k,,,or 150k,,,

get the picture,,,it all depends on the size boat and time of year, and how much you want to pay,,more companies can be found on google.com,,,

were do you want to sail,,,bahamas,,,virgin islands,,,,Mediterranean,,,,south pacific????

get the picture

give us a clue on how much and we can help out more

also on a crewed charter is it customary to leave a 10-20 percent tip to the crew,,,the 10-20 percent is based on the cost of the boat,,,do not forget that food, fuel, dockage are all extra
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 18:56   #10
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

my family did a catamaran sailing "class" that was a lot of snorkeling, eating and fun with some sailing lessons thrown in as icing on the cake. everyone had a great time! fair winds sailing school. ask for Capt. Daniel
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 18:57   #11
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Last year my boat chartered to a group of 8 for 11 days for a total of $10,500 including captain and tip. It didn't include any food, drink, or diesel. You could probably get a smaller boat for $8,500 for the same amount of time. I can't imagine any less or the boat or captain would be in bad shape. We have a complete dive center on board but unless your a dive master it's off limits for use. It's easy enough to find diving companies.

I think what you are looking for is someone who will spend the time to teach while the charter is going on. That is difficult with structured charter companies. I'd look for owners who charter. But also be cautious with how they are going to handle the charter. Many are not used to catering to customers.
Old 06-07-2011, 19:49   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman

Well I don't have a cat but check out GaitweighSailing - Home

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter