Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2008, 12:06   #46

Boat: Privilege 37
Derek,
again, I can only reiterate that you joining in this debate makes such a difference to my understanding. I am convinced that if I was starting from scratch with a boat and had the time/space etc, I would be using your system. I had an idea a couple of years ago about modifying the stern of my catalac, and at the time allowed myself to be convinced that I needed to create a mould and go through the whole (expensive and time-consuming) nausea of the lay-up process. I eventually abandoned it due to a recognition, that if the mod I was planning did not work, I would have dramatically cut the vessels re-sale value, whereas the costs invested in a new vessel would provide what I was looking for anyway. Most of the cost was due to the need to employ somebody to do the work as I was unable to commit to the time requirement.

I would love to do the practical work, but when push comes to shove, and I have limited time available, I would rather be sailing than working on the boat
Old 26-06-2008, 15:56   #47
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
KSS - KD 860

Derek Kelsall and Bernd Kohler are collaborating to help me build a boat from a Kohler design I have chosen. Derek is conducting a workshop on the US Gulf Coast and I will begin my build at this workshop. For details visit this link:

Multihull Dynamics, Inc. - News Article

Pat Ross
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 23:51   #48

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
Derek Kelsall and Bernd Kohler are collaborating to help me build a boat from a Kohler design I have chosen. Derek is conducting a workshop on the US Gulf Coast and I will begin my build at this workshop.
I hope you provide a series of build pictures for us.
Old 28-06-2008, 04:55   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
I hope you provide a series of build pictures for us.

I intend to make them available through the MDI website. I had no idea how many people were monitoring these forum groups. The interest is remarkable.

Pat
Old 06-07-2008, 17:49   #50

Thumbs up KSS Responses

To all.. thankyou for your input, i have just re-read all the responses from start to finish and would like to summarise my views on Derek's Build Method KSS.
KSS is the build method which has developed from the beginnings of foam/GRP to what it is today. I dont see any other method which has sustained the same amount of refinement for a large number of years. We need to embrace this refinement and progress. I see the influence of this progression saving a considerable amount of time (especially longboarding time) from any other start from scratch method. Compared to a kit method i can see considerable cost savings (and with the table not too much time.) Regarding the infusion on the table, i dont see the necessity to use the best infusion methods as the table is a flat surface which can only be a lot easier to infuse on then a complicated mould shape.
The fact that the man behind the multihull dynamics website has chosen the KSS build method further reinforces to me that it is the best option for building a one off multihull.
As mentioned previously i am an engineer, and have thought through and believe the inbuilt stresses on the outside skin are negligible. If the foam has dart cuts to allow the core material to take up the space where the cuts are, the amount of elongation of the outside skin is small, which only leaves a small amount of bending stress, which on a skin of a couple of mm, with a span of 12m wouldn't be much.
So in summary from my thourough analysis of Derek's KSS build technology, i say to any budding boatbuilder GO FOR IT. When i find a shed and a bit more spare cash i will be. Who am i to doubt a catamaran designing/building/sailing legend of such calibre as Derek Kelsall.
Once again, thank you all for your input,
Have fun, and follow your dreams....
Regards,
Nathan
geekclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2008, 07:17   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

KSS Workshop Report

The KSS workshop was very successful. We infused three 30' panels, Port outer, bottom and inner hull. We did not assemble the hull due to time constraints. We lost a days work remaking two Deck Edge Radius' that I had built improperly prior to Derek's arrival. The original plan was to have both of the Deck Edge Radius' ready to go at the beginning of the workshop and save Workshop time for infusion of the panels and assembly of the hull.

Derek and the workshop attendees made two new Deck Edge Radius', each 32' long. Derek, Cal Markwood and I rebuilt my table the day before the start of the workshop. I did had not realize the importance of assuring there were no leaks between the seems of the melamine laminate board panels and Derek discovered leasks on examination of the table.

Other issues that slowed our pace was some flooding on my property due to Hurricane Ike. While we did not have significant wind problems we had high water problems which threatened the workshop and table areas.

Derek was very patient, helpful, worked as hard as anyone at the workshop and remained cheerful and positive inspite of the issues slowing us down.. Issues did arise regarding the infusion process . This actually made the workshop even more interesting. Derek's creativity in solutions gave me confidence in how to rememdy unexpected infusion issues in the future when I would be working on my own. That alone was worth the price of admission. It was a great experience.

I will be posting photos to this group in the coming weeks. A full presentation on the building of the KD 920 will be available on the Multihull Dynamics website in a several weeks. I am working on setting up "streaming" on the MDI website showing future infusion of the panels in real time.

I could have saved time, learned more and we could have accomplished even more at the workshop had I attended one of Derek's workshops prior to hosting this workshop myself. I highly recommend doing so if you intend to host a KSS workshop in the future. While this may seem to add to the overall cost in building, you actually would save money by utilizing the workshop time more efficiently.

We had a real solid group of folks from as far away as Mexico and Canada. Other attendees were from Colorado, Ohio, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama and Florida. It was helpful that several of the attendees had prior boatbuilding experience.

Representatives from major suppliers also attended the workshop. They provided useful product information.

Pat
Old 08-10-2008, 12:42   #52
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

KSS Workshop Panel Photos

Hi,

Below is a link to photos of the KSS Workshop recently conducted.

http://www.multihulldynamics.com/content.asp?c=ksswksp

Pat Ross
pat@multihulldynamics.com
Old 08-10-2008, 15:38   #53
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Well done Pat. Congratulations.

Maybe next time you can order up some sunshine instead of two hurricanes! Thanks for the pics and the write-up!

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kelsall