Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 17:17   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Jetski on Hull

my family has considered buying a catamaran from 40-57 ft range. my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.
__________________

__________________
Diego1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 17:48   #2
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Jetski on Hull

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to have to narrow down the range of the boat to get a sensible answer. On a 40' cat, the weight of your uncle's thrill-craft will be a huge detriment, especially if all the weight is on one hull. On a 57' catamaran, such a machine may not be as horrible.

Is the catamaran you family wants to buy going to be a sailboat? If so, the aesthetics of having a catamaran on deck will be... umm..... negative.
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 18:02   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: W Carib
Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Posts: 7,904
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego1980 View Post
... my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.
Quite a beast to have on the deck of any midsized boat. Have a friend with a 95' power cat who carries a couple of jet skis and all sorts of other water toys, but that is quite a different boat.

Jet skis are available for rent in many places. Maybe an option to consider.
__________________
belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 19:35   #4
Registered User
 
Gene :^)'s Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: 1914 Fantail M.Y. "Strathbelle"
Posts: 222
How would you lift a 1000+ pound pwc onto the catamaran in the first place?

-----

Gene :^)
Http://www.Strathbelle.com/
__________________
Gene :^)

1914 Fantail Motor Yacht of Riveted Iron & Steel
http://www.Strathbelle.com
Gene :^) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 20:32   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,435
Re: Jetski on Hull

Mate, this is a bad idea!

First, that big a deck load would indeed badly affect the sailing performance of any sailing cat of the size range you mention. It would be a safety issue as well, for the decks are not engineered to support such heavy loads,

Second, if you are hoping to join the great cruising fraternity out here, a Jetski is NOT a welcome addition to any anchorage. They are universally detested, and for pretty good reasons. There may exist somewhere a thoughtful and courteous jetski operator, but the vast majority of them make very bad neighbors.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 21:12   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Jetski on Hull

Attached photo of a Lightwave 47 motorsailer at Santuary Cove boatshow in 2010. This is a modified Lightwave 45 with largish engines so that it can motor at 15knots.

Vessel was recently in Mackay marina with both its RIB and jetski on transom. Doesn't appear to be a problem for this vessel.

Clearly is not an issue with right vessel and jetski should not be much heavier than some of large heavy high HP RIBS some have. It was one reason St Francis modified their 48 to a 50ft vessel to handle larger dingys.

Not an issue on this vessel or a custom built vessel. Would be an issue on vessel with motor, drives in stern. A design issue that can be worked around.

Can be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightwave-47-motorsailor.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	45754  
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 23:08   #7
Moderator
 
Dockhead's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Posts: 19,725
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mate, this is a bad idea!

First, that big a deck load would indeed badly affect the sailing performance of any sailing cat of the size range you mention. It would be a safety issue as well, for the decks are not engineered to support such heavy loads,

Second, if you are hoping to join the great cruising fraternity out here, a Jetski is NOT a welcome addition to any anchorage. They are universally detested, and for pretty good reasons. There may exist somewhere a thoughtful and courteous jetski operator, but the vast majority of them make very bad neighbors.

Cheers,

Jim
I have not had a lot of contact with jet ski operators, I guess, but I don't know why you should hate them so categorically. The few I have known are perfectly nice people and good seamen.

The jet ski itself is an extremely cool toy. I actually own one myself - a Kawasaki 250x with 250 horsepower (1500 pounds of thrust for 900 pounds displacement - better than an F16 fighter jet ). I inherited it from a neighbor who only managed to ride it twice before his unexpected and untimely death.

I admit that I have never ridden it so far. It's been sitting in the garage at my lake house for several years. Maybe I'll finally take it out this weekend.

I think a jet ski would make a fantastic high speed tender, on a boat big enough to carry that plus a regular rib tender for carrying the groceries. The jet ski would be fantastic for long exploratory rambles in new places, the speed greatly increasing the practical radius of operations, and besides they are a blast to ride.

But I don't think it's realistic on a boat less than about 100'. And certainly not on a catamaran.
__________________
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 23:19   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Attached photo of a Lightwave 47 motorsailer at Santuary Cove boatshow in 2010. This is a modified Lightwave 45 with largish engines so that it can motor at 15knots.

Vessel was recently in Mackay marina with both its RIB and jetski on transom. Doesn't appear to be a problem for this vessel.

Clearly is not an issue with right vessel and jetski should not be much heavier than some of large heavy high HP RIBS some have. It was one reason St Francis modified their 48 to a 50ft vessel to handle larger dingys.

Not an issue on this vessel or a custom built vessel. Would be an issue on vessel with motor, drives in stern. A design issue that can be worked around.

Can be done.
Great Aussie styling/design there, love the access at the sugar scoops great for kids.. Nice pic
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 00:34   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Re: Jetski on Hull

What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it
__________________
Diego1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 00:52   #10
Registered User
 
muskoka's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sai Kung, Hong Kong
Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Posts: 775
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego1980 View Post
What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it
You really can't tow a 480kg jet ski under sail - your cat would sail like a complete pig. I wouldn't even tow a small RIB under sail.

To carry/tow that load you need a very large catamaran or a powerboat.
__________________
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 00:54   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fethiye Turkey
Boat: Lagoon 440
Posts: 3,164
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego1980 View Post
What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it
Certainly but for how long and in what conditions? If in smooth waters no problems but if in any kind of heavy seaway not good.

You need to put it on a bridle so it sits behind nicely and you need to have the towing point low on the Ski so it keeps its head up.
__________________
"Political correctness is a creeping sickness that knows no boundaries"
Lagoon4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 01:36   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Boat: none
Posts: 87
Re: Jetski on Hull

I may upset a few with this ,but without exception i dont think i know of any cruising anchorage that would welcome a jet skier,i'm sure there are some jetski owners out there that treat them and use them responsibly like any other boat owner,but the majority just use them as water bourne hotrods with little regard to others or there saftey. Case in point,the recent fatality in USA involving an Australian Boy.
__________________
cruiz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 02:16   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 829
Images: 27
Re: Jetski on Hull

As already posted, you should be considering where it is that you want to take the Jetski as in many places they are banned. Bahamas from memory? and definitely Sydney Harbour to name two for starters.
__________________
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:19   #14
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,080
Re: Jetski on Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego1980 View Post
my family has considered buying a catamaran from 40-57 ft range. my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.
You could contact Roger Overall at Lightwave Cats. A couple of Sanctuary Coves ago he had a lightwave 45 on display that had been designed to carry a large jetski on the back. He may be able to assist with ideas and thoughts.
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 05:36   #15
Registered User
 
dirkdig's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Geelong,Australia
Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Posts: 838
Roger has offered to do a setup on my cat to carry a jetski.
We are going to carry a yamaha 700 3 seater 2stroke. They only weigh 230 kg.

When we have towed our 360 kg seadoo ski it slows the boat by 2 knots, it like dragging a sea anchor around.

Going to hoist the ski at the stern and hoist the tender onto the deck.
__________________

__________________
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.