Cruisers & Sailing Forums (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/)
-   Multihull Sailboats (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Jetski on Hull (https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/jetski-on-hull-88242.html)

Diego1980 29-08-2012 16:17

Jetski on Hull
 
my family has considered buying a catamaran from 40-57 ft range. my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.

Bash 29-08-2012 16:48

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Welcome to the forum.

You're going to have to narrow down the range of the boat to get a sensible answer. On a 40' cat, the weight of your uncle's thrill-craft will be a huge detriment, especially if all the weight is on one hull. On a 57' catamaran, such a machine may not be as horrible.

Is the catamaran you family wants to buy going to be a sailboat? If so, the aesthetics of having a catamaran on deck will be... umm..... negative.

belizesailor 29-08-2012 17:02

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego1980 (Post 1024800)
... my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.

Quite a beast to have on the deck of any midsized boat. Have a friend with a 95' power cat who carries a couple of jet skis and all sorts of other water toys, but that is quite a different boat.

Jet skis are available for rent in many places. Maybe an option to consider.

Gene :^) 29-08-2012 18:35

How would you lift a 1000+ pound pwc onto the catamaran in the first place?

-----

Gene :^)
Http://www.Strathbelle.com/

Jim Cate 29-08-2012 19:32

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Mate, this is a bad idea!

First, that big a deck load would indeed badly affect the sailing performance of any sailing cat of the size range you mention. It would be a safety issue as well, for the decks are not engineered to support such heavy loads,

Second, if you are hoping to join the great cruising fraternity out here, a Jetski is NOT a welcome addition to any anchorage. They are universally detested, and for pretty good reasons. There may exist somewhere a thoughtful and courteous jetski operator, but the vast majority of them make very bad neighbors.

Cheers,

Jim

downunder 29-08-2012 20:12

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
1 Attachment(s)
Attached photo of a Lightwave 47 motorsailer at Santuary Cove boatshow in 2010. This is a modified Lightwave 45 with largish engines so that it can motor at 15knots.

Vessel was recently in Mackay marina with both its RIB and jetski on transom. Doesn't appear to be a problem for this vessel.

Clearly is not an issue with right vessel and jetski should not be much heavier than some of large heavy high HP RIBS some have. It was one reason St Francis modified their 48 to a 50ft vessel to handle larger dingys.

Not an issue on this vessel or a custom built vessel. Would be an issue on vessel with motor, drives in stern. A design issue that can be worked around.

Can be done.

Dockhead 29-08-2012 22:08

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Cate (Post 1024933)
Mate, this is a bad idea!

First, that big a deck load would indeed badly affect the sailing performance of any sailing cat of the size range you mention. It would be a safety issue as well, for the decks are not engineered to support such heavy loads,

Second, if you are hoping to join the great cruising fraternity out here, a Jetski is NOT a welcome addition to any anchorage. They are universally detested, and for pretty good reasons. There may exist somewhere a thoughtful and courteous jetski operator, but the vast majority of them make very bad neighbors.

Cheers,

Jim

I have not had a lot of contact with jet ski operators, I guess, but I don't know why you should hate them so categorically. The few I have known are perfectly nice people and good seamen.

The jet ski itself is an extremely cool toy. I actually own one myself - a Kawasaki 250x with 250 horsepower (1500 pounds of thrust for 900 pounds displacement - better than an F16 fighter jet :) ). I inherited it from a neighbor who only managed to ride it twice before his unexpected and untimely death.

I admit that I have never ridden it so far. It's been sitting in the garage at my lake house for several years. Maybe I'll finally take it out this weekend.

I think a jet ski would make a fantastic high speed tender, on a boat big enough to carry that plus a regular rib tender for carrying the groceries. The jet ski would be fantastic for long exploratory rambles in new places, the speed greatly increasing the practical radius of operations, and besides they are a blast to ride.

But I don't think it's realistic on a boat less than about 100'. And certainly not on a catamaran.

Lagoon4us 29-08-2012 22:19

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by downunder (Post 1024947)
Attached photo of a Lightwave 47 motorsailer at Santuary Cove boatshow in 2010. This is a modified Lightwave 45 with largish engines so that it can motor at 15knots.

Vessel was recently in Mackay marina with both its RIB and jetski on transom. Doesn't appear to be a problem for this vessel.

Clearly is not an issue with right vessel and jetski should not be much heavier than some of large heavy high HP RIBS some have. It was one reason St Francis modified their 48 to a 50ft vessel to handle larger dingys.

Not an issue on this vessel or a custom built vessel. Would be an issue on vessel with motor, drives in stern. A design issue that can be worked around.

Can be done.

Great Aussie styling/design there, love the access at the sugar scoops great for kids.. Nice pic

Diego1980 29-08-2012 23:34

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it

muskoka 29-08-2012 23:52

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego1980 (Post 1025003)
What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it

You really can't tow a 480kg jet ski under sail - your cat would sail like a complete pig. I wouldn't even tow a small RIB under sail.

To carry/tow that load you need a very large catamaran or a powerboat.

Lagoon4us 29-08-2012 23:54

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego1980 (Post 1025003)
What if i would tow the PWC, would the catamaran be able too, if so are how should i do it

Certainly but for how long and in what conditions? If in smooth waters no problems but if in any kind of heavy seaway not good.

You need to put it on a bridle so it sits behind nicely and you need to have the towing point low on the Ski so it keeps its head up.

cruiz9 30-08-2012 00:36

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
I may upset a few with this ,but without exception i dont think i know of any cruising anchorage that would welcome a jet skier,i'm sure there are some jetski owners out there that treat them and use them responsibly like any other boat owner,but the majority just use them as water bourne hotrods with little regard to others or there saftey. Case in point,the recent fatality in USA involving an Australian Boy.

ausaviator 30-08-2012 01:16

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
As already posted, you should be considering where it is that you want to take the Jetski as in many places they are banned. Bahamas from memory? and definitely Sydney Harbour to name two for starters.

Factor 30-08-2012 04:19

Re: Jetski on Hull
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diego1980 (Post 1024800)
my family has considered buying a catamaran from 40-57 ft range. my uncles favorite activity is jetskiing he has a kawaski 260x we would like to put the jetski on the hull to take it where we cruise, has anyone don this and would this affect the perfromance of the catamaran.

You could contact Roger Overall at Lightwave Cats. A couple of Sanctuary Coves ago he had a lightwave 45 on display that had been designed to carry a large jetski on the back. He may be able to assist with ideas and thoughts.

dirkdig 30-08-2012 04:36

Roger has offered to do a setup on my cat to carry a jetski.
We are going to carry a yamaha 700 3 seater 2stroke. They only weigh 230 kg.

When we have towed our 360 kg seadoo ski it slows the boat by 2 knots, it like dragging a sea anchor around.

Going to hoist the ski at the stern and hoist the tender onto the deck.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.