Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2012, 04:22   #31

Boat: building small boats at present
Re: JARCAT CC29 vs WHARRAM TIKI 30

Roberts are renowned for MONOHULLS,and to my knowledge bruce has a score of ZERO in the area of being the first to do anything. But has had his fair share of controversy,read a bit more before typing, just an idea.
freelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2012, 04:37   #32

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelife View Post
Roberts are renowned for MONOHULLS,and to my knowledge bruce has a score of ZERO in the area of being the first to do anything. But has had his fair share of controversy,
None of what you say has anything to do with nor does it detract from the simple fact that there were an abundance of roberts plans sold.

Quote:
read a bit more before typing, just an idea.
How about you think a bit more before typing, just an idea.
Old 15-06-2012, 05:18   #33

Just stirring the pot. Just for the record Buddy, I never stop thinking. So, If you would like we can have a little exchange of thoughts. I thought the discussion was in relation to multihull designs.maybe I wasn,t thinking? So concentrate on what I am saying,firstly wharrams are not held together by string! being a (boatbuilder by trade) you should know that? whether it is a nail,a screw,a bolt,a weld,epoxy,or duct tape, it is all about the sheer point, which multihulls are full of!! So if you have the knowledge to identify these points it would be nice to no how to deal with them don't you think? and once you have gained a substantial amount of knowledge you might be able to locate and isolate them.Once you have done that, if you really, really concentrate, you may even be able to create a FLEX in that sheer point thus reducing that load at that point.(Its a lot to take in sorry) So if you could manage to do all of the above wouldn't it be great to make these points visible to the every day idiot, or so called builder? that way you might even be able to replace these very special little parts(known as lashings) from time to time and have a sound piece of equipment. OOOPS I forgot, a man from Cornwall did that for us 60 years ago,that was nice of him don't you think?
Old 15-06-2012, 05:45   #34

Quote:
Just stirring the pot. Just for the record Buddy, I never stop thinking. So, If you would like we can have a little exchange of thoughts. I thought the discussion was in relation to multihull designs.maybe I wasn,t thinking?
Nope, that part of the discussion was about plan sales and boats on the water champ.

Quote:
So concentrate on what I am saying,firstly wharrams are not held together by string! being a (boatbuilder by trade) you should know that?
String, rope, potato, potahto
Still flex like a madman and are wet wet wet.

The rest of your rant is irrelevant to what was said about plans.
Almost ready to build? Not a wharram fanboy by any chance
Old 15-06-2012, 06:29   #35

It is really good to be able to take the piss and turn it all back to harmless fun,AUSSIE,AUSSIE,AUSSIE. By the way I actually like the Roberts Spray designs, Go figure. CHEERS.
Old 15-06-2012, 06:32   #36

By the way I am actually building at the moment but can't figure out how to update my profile. L O L
Old 15-06-2012, 08:08   #37

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Quote:
Roberts are renowned for MONOHULLS,and to my knowledge bruce has a score of ZERO in the area of being the first to do anything. But has had his fair share of controversy,read a bit more before typing, just an idea.
It's funny you guys mentioning "Bruce Roberts". He got his start in Hedley Nicol's yard where he learned about kit and boat building under his original name. When Hedley disappeared Roberts walked off with unsold plan sets, changed his name and started up in North America as Bruce Roberts, funded in part by selling those Nicol plans.....He modeled his operation after Nicol but didn't design all those boats. Like Glen L most were farmed out. Comparing monohull plan sellers with multihull ones should have its own thread.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 04:11   #38
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

These two designs are about as far apart as two catamarans can be. They will not sail the same, store the same, sleep/eat the same. They are just way different. It makes sense to build a boat you like as well as a boat that is suitable for your planned uses. This is like apples and oranges, both fruit but not similiar.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 04:34   #39

I hear you, I think because of where I live and what my intentions are it is impossible to get away with one build. The only thing I can come to is to nock up an in shore demountable cat for my local use, and work on something for off shore and travelling with a longer build time in mind. This is why I always seem to be comparing apples and grapes. I have almost finished spraying my skiff(too cold) and am ready too cut the next project(in shore cat). Love keeping myself and the kids busy, ha ha.
Old 20-06-2012, 09:48   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

Jarcat hands down for me, but modified with a step job and a 9.9 yamie or equivalent.
How do you get into a CC29 from a dinghy? Is that a boarding ladder at the stern? Then you still have to climb into the cockpit to enter the boat proper? The cockpit looks secure, though.
ImaginaryNumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 12:51   #41

Shades of the heavenly twins....Materials wise it might be better to compare with a tiki 38.
Old 20-06-2012, 15:47   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryNumber View Post
How do you get into a CC29 from a dinghy? Is that a boarding ladder at the stern? Then you still have to climb into the cockpit to enter the boat proper? The cockpit looks secure, though.
Like I said, step job when your building making it a CC32
Old 21-06-2012, 08:14   #43

the CC29 uses around 100 sheets of ply, tiki 38 would be a bigger job than a CC29. More than double the weight, just the tiki38 plans alone would pay for half the ply for the CC29. Although, I shouldn't mention that because somebody said the plan prices didn't mean anything? (still stirring that pot)
Old 21-06-2012, 08:20   #44

I'd want to check the tiki 38 materials list. I have a plan set for the Wharram Raka. At 36 feet long it uses 50 sheets of 3/8s ply. It is a slender hull and no pod but I don't think the 38 could use another 50 sheets......
Old 21-06-2012, 08:34   #45

Dude, have a look at the size of the Raka to the Tiki38,the Raka would pull up along side and be in the shade! It is double the weight for a start,double the plan price and double the estimated build time. but still very nice

Tags
arc, wharram