Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2011, 17:33   #31

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
The good book

Phil, You want to buy Gregor Tarjans first book on Catamarans. The second one is about mega cats so you can bypass that for now. It's $40 but he spells out everything and if you aren't a cat sailor now then you will be when you finish. It's not too technical, a good read, and lots of real pretty pics of cats of all sizes. I found it in stock here in Montana at Barnes and Nobles. Imagine that. He's a naval architect and owns a brokerage business called Aeroyacht Sailing Catamarans | Fountaine Pajot Catamarans | Power Catamarans | Multihull Dealer and Brokerage He is simply the man. I IM you, check your messages. BOB
Old 24-02-2011, 17:42   #32

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: The good book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Phil, You want to buy Gregor Tarjans first book on Catamarans. The second one is about mega cats so you can bypass that for now. It's $40 but he spells out everything and if you aren't a cat sailor now then you will be when you finish. It's not too technical, a good read, and lots of real pretty pics of cats of all sizes. I found it in stock here in Montana at Barnes and Nobles. Imagine that. He's a naval architect and owns a brokerage business called Aeroyacht Sailing Catamarans | Fountaine Pajot Catamarans | Power Catamarans | Multihull Dealer and Brokerage He is simply the man. I IM you, check your messages. BOB
I would second getting Gregor Tarjan's book "Catamarans -The complete guide for Cruising Sailors"
Old 24-02-2011, 17:44   #33

Re: Is there such thing as a safe, world-cruising multi-hull sailboat?

I think there are a lot of safe multis. Same as there are a lot of people who can not afford them including me. I do have a 40 year old mono though.
Old 24-02-2011, 18:27   #34

This is my first post and it's probably not wise of me to wade into such a contentious question right out of the gate, but I remember a comment a speaker made at during a seminar about offshore passagemaking - I'm paraphrasing, but it was something like "a multihull's point of ultimate stability is upside down on the surface of the ocean - a monohull's point of ultimate stability is on it's side at the bottom...". I vote for the boat that floats.
Old 24-02-2011, 18:32   #35

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

A great post and well considered but be prepared for what follows.
Old 24-02-2011, 19:43   #36
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom

I would say any well designed cat is pretty safe, I spent a large chunk of my childhood on a Crowther design 85, as long as it has decent bridge deck clearance I don't see a problem with it.
One other thing I would be looking for in any cat I was sailing offshore in is dagger boards, if the cat didn't have them, then I wouldn't be buying the boat, but this is an issue everyone has their own opinion on, but for my way of thinking they are 110% essential.
Old 25-02-2011, 03:50   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB View Post
One other thing I would be looking for in any cat I was sailing offshore in is dagger boards,...for my way of thinking they are 110% essential.
This is my thinking to. That extra drag/friction would definately help with bad weather. Along with a sea drogue, sails down, and a alert helmsman it sounds like a cat can handle severe weather.

Two questions.
1. Are all cat dagger boards designed in duplicate located on each hull (sounds like inboard is best) or is there a single, centerboard designed on some cats?

2. On the best designed CRUISING cats, what is the most optimistic pointing angle upwind?

Thanks for the advice on the book. I have not heard of that and will pick it up.

Cheers,
Phil
Old 25-02-2011, 05:35   #38
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

PCSailor, there are a few cats with a single board - eg, the tomcat, but typically cats with boards have two as it is a better and more flexible (if more expensive) arrangement.

Seeing as you seem to have allayed your fears concerning the safety of multihulls, should we shut this thread down? If you have questions concerning other aspects of catamaran design/construction etc., they would be better dealt with under separate threads in the multihull section. Alternatively, if you have specific questions regarding monohulls, you can expect to get better answers in the monohull section.

Frankly, I am impressed at how this thread has not deteriorated into the typical mono versus multi war - and I would be really happy if we left this where it is. Thoughts anyone?

Brad
Old 25-02-2011, 07:33   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
PCSailor,...I would be really happy if we left this (post) where it is. Thoughts anyone?

Brad
You read my mind here. I thought this earlier last night. I feel my question has been answered and I have been pursuing multi-hull designs the last 24 hours.

Thanks all,
Phil
Closed Thread

Tags
sailboat