Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 15:26   #16

Boat: 1999 Sea Ray 330DA 38'
Re: How to "do" a boat show (for "first-timers")?

With everyone either living around here, or coming to the show, Maybe we should do a Cruiser Forum get together at Pussers Saturday evening?
My Bonnie Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 15:47   #17

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about all those crooked brokers because you are not there to buy.

However, as it is a boat show, they are there to sell not entertain and they do their job by focusing on more immediate prospects. These shows cost them a lot to exhibit at and they need to recoup.

You might not be well received if you want to take up their busy time with questions while coming on board with your large family. These boats get crowded at a show and these folks are trying to make a living, as heinous as that is.

Maybe consider going online, checking out what you want to see and then calling that broker in advance to explain your situation? That way he will know that there is at least some hope for a sale at some point and you will have made a contact or two who will be expecting you.

I lived in Annapolis for many years and have been to a bunch of these.

This year I hear there will be brokerage boats which weren't allowed in years past.

Good luck.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 16:10   #18

Boat: 37 Gulfstar

I agree with the poster who said that looking at boats at the show sets one up for major disappointment when the shopping within a real budget begins. Unless your budget is 250K+. I'm poor, so I try not to go ogle things that just make me feel even poorer. I also second the tip to go ogle the fancy new/er boats once you already have your older, (possibly shabbier one), to get ideas about storage solutions, new finishings, etc. I go to the show specifically for the tents, where I can chat up vendors of solar panels, mattresses, HVAC, etc and get information about what technology might work for me, best pricing they can offer, etc. I made the mistake of going on some boats at the spring show just to please a friend, and the price for that is being on email lists from brokers that are very difficult to get unsubscribed from. There is a nice booth with lots of folding galley gear that you can probably find online, but not at your local Target or Williams-Sonoma, so for living aboard it is a nice place to treat oneself or at least get ideas. My boat show shopping list: a $10 "boat show special" floating boat hook from the West Marine tent.

I live across from the show in Eastport, so if folks did decide to do a Saturday night CF meetup I'd be down. Pusser's is ground zero and $10 drinks, but I can pry myself away from Davis' long enough to join folks for a Painkiller or two, though not until after 7pm.

blogging my adventures aboard at www.svambrosia.com
Old 01-10-2014, 03:48   #19

Psyched,

If you want to read an article I wrote entitled "How To Go To A Boat Show," email me at:

lwertsch@xmission.com.

Good luck.
Tojo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:18   #20

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I will also be at Annapolis. This is my second boat show. My first was Miami in Feb. My husband and I are also looking for a cat for retirement, and had never been on one before... so, that is one of the reasons we went to Miami.. here is my advise..

1. no matter HOW attractive the "buy your boat and put it into charter service" deals look.. RUN AWAY FROM THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't waste your precious time even talking to those guys. walk away!

2. as opposed to a previous poster.. I'm going to tell you NOT to dress rich. just dress like middle class america.. the sales folks will leave you alone.. so you can freely walk about the Cats.. peek into holes... and the sales people practically ignore you. if you actually have a question.. there will always be someone that you can reach out to.. But you don't want those sales people hanging around and giving you their schpeels and interupting you from experiencing the cat.

3. HAVE FUN!!!! seriously.. don't take this so seriously. My husband and I had an absolute BLAST at Miami. We were so excited to finally get to see, and explore all the boats we had been looking at on line. It was so fun... so, enjoy yourself.

4. The prices are going to be staggering. Ignore them! seriously! We were one of the folks who did actually sit down with one of those "charter/own" folks I told you about above. I heard a lot of "blah blah blah".. but there were 2 figures that stuck in my head.. the first was $750,000. Which was the price of the boat we were looking at. The second was somewhere around the $450,000 mark. That was how much the Cat would be worth by the time it came out of charter 5-7 years down the line. This is a wonderful lesson, so listen very closely... LOOK TO SEE WHAT KIND OF BOAT YOU LIKE.. AND WHAT FEATURES YOU WANT.. THEN.. BUY ONE USED!!!!!!

5. Try to take a class. My husband and I signed up for a forum Friday morning 8-noon.. it's all about multihull ownership.. cruising and liveaboard. It has an interesting panel of people.. and we think we really could learn alot, and enjoy it.

6. Stay out of the "marketplace"... You know.. where people are selling their wares. There is no reason for you to go in there... it is a mad house.. you don't even own a boat yet... and you will be confused and overwhelmed at this point. use your time to play on the boats, and talk to people...

You are going to have a great time.. and the weather looks like it is going to be beautiful!
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:47   #21

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

I don't know if they have it in Annapolis, but I have found the past few years in Newport that the boats in the brokerage show next door were far more interesting than at the "new" show.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:43   #22

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

The boat show is a show--the vendors are there to show their wares, so do not feel you must stay in the background if you are not making an immediate purchase. Most vendors will happily answer your questions. You might find a snippy one or two once you say your purchase horizon is a year or two out, but most are pretty pleasant and think long term themselves. Very few people buy boats as impulses. Most brokers and salespeople are pleasant and knowledgeable.

Since your long range interests are in a cat of some sort, there will be plenty at the show. In fact, as a monohull sailor, I deplore the slow take-over of the Annapolis show by the cats. What you will find helpful is to see how each of the designers uses the space in a certain size range. You'll go aboard some 45 footer and like the layout, then you will see another and ask yourself where did all the space go? Then go aboard a series of cats 5 feet shorter or longer and see what a huge difference 5 feet of length can make in volume. That will help you make a decision as to what size you need, and you'll probably find one or two brands that suit your needs. Can't afford a new one just yet? No sweat--you will know what size and brands to look for in used models, and that will cut down both internet surfing and looking at boats time. Really fall in love with a model or two--some of those that go into the charter business will come on the market in a year or two at a big price reduction.

At this point, you really need to focus on the size and layout. The gadgets can come later. The tents will be filled with them, but they become important only as you focus on specific boats once you have decided on size and layout. The tents are fun--but plan on being overwhelmed. I'm going this year just to look at chartplotters and radars and plan on two days.

Last and not least, Thursday admission costs twice as much, but the crowds are down by two-thirds. Worth it. They usually have a deal where you can buy a Thursday and Friday ticket st some reduction.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by accomplice View Post
I don't know if they have it in Annapolis, but I have found the past few years in Newport that the boats in the brokerage show next door were far more interesting than at the "new" show.
They do have this at Annapolis as well..
Old 05-10-2014, 11:12   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

The last time I went to the Annapolis boat show I looked at some new boats, but I bought a used boat up Spa creek from a broker.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:22   #25

My 2 cents, right now i am poor boy. i am a IT guy unemployed again these contract jobs end with no chance of hire.. anyways i have a Reynolds 21 foot catamaran it is Beachable it sleeps 4 it has no HEAD or Headroom

I sail on a lake not the ocean. I go to the Boat show every Year for something to do. It is a cool place its like i belong there everyone is a sailor there that you walk by. we all share something special that others do not know or understand.

I go to looky yes sure it is disappointing to know you are not able to buy something but, think of it like this what would i buy if i could and would i use it will it be for what i need it for! One day i will be able to buy used and i will know what i want then.. Like this is what i look for

Dagger boards (NO FIXED KILLS) you could then beach it with bow in
I like the Outremer 50 Outremer Catamaran - Our Catamarans - Outremer 5X
I look for Performance
I also look maybe i want to still be able to trailer my boat
I look at rigging is the traveler in the right place , is the halyards in the right place

Can i move around on deck fast or lay anywhere

The inside to me is somewhat important (most of the time it is for sleeping
if its raining you want a place to chill at
Cooking can you make a Omelette or cook dinner
Structure of the Boats

But i am coming from a boat that we camp from so anything is awesome to me!

I also wonder how can these boat designers stay in business , who is buying them?
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:32   #26

.. ooo. I also wanted to say that, sometimes my husband and I go to open houses. We have new interest in buying a new home.. but we go for "ideas". It's fun! we've done a LOT of repair work and remodeling on our home.. and it has really given us inspiration..

Same thing with boats. We have a 30 year old sailboat. and frankly.. I'd like to see what the new ones look like so that I can see what might be done with mine. Updates.. repairs.. refits.. rigging... So, if you own a sailboat.. it's a great learning and inspirational place to go...

have I mentioned they are fun?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:34   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
. i am a IT guy unemployed again these contract jobs end with no chance of hire..

I sail on a lake not the ocean. I go to the Boat show every Year for something to do. It is a cool place its like i belong there everyone is a sailor there that you walk by. we all share something special that others do not know or understand.

I go to looky yes sure it is disappointing to know you are not able to buy something but, think of it like this what would i buy if i could and would i use it will it be for what i need it for! One day i will be able to buy used and i will know what i want then.. Like this is what i look for

Dagger boards (NO FIXED KILLS) you could then beach it with bow in
I like the Outremer 50 Outremer Catamaran - Our Catamarans - Outremer 5X
I look for Performance
I also look maybe i want to still be able to trailer my boat
I look at rigging is the traveler in the right place , is the halyards in the right place

Can i move around on deck fast or lay anywhere

The inside to me is somewhat important (most of the time it is for sleeping
if its raining you want a place to chill at
Cooking can you make a Omelette or cook dinner
Structure of the Boats

But i am coming from a boat that we camp from so anything is awesome to me!

I don't know where you are located.. but, we have been hiring lots of IT folks... and IT contractors. I don't know if we have current openings.. but I'd be happy to look for you. send me a PM if you are interested...
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47   #28
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Here's some advice from a vendor. I've been working the shows for years and will be at the Annapolis show again this year, Ft Lauderdale, Miami and St.Pete. I would disregard the advice not to go to the vendors booths and asking all the question you want to regardless if you are buying or not. First, most of the vendors are usually boaters who have a lot of water time under their belts, it's usually what led them to be in the industry. So there is a vast amount of knowledge in those tents. Dress how you want, vendors know there's not much difference just as well as you do. In fact if pressed I'd say we prefer the dressed down crowd. Exaggerated pretentiousness really doesn't impress us anymore than it impresses you. Those who really have it rarely flaunt it and those who flaunt it rarely have it. Every person that walks into my booth is certainly looked at as a potential customer not a potential mark. This is how I pay my bills and keep a kid in college so I do like to make sales just like you do in your job. But here's the thing, I know fully well that the vast majority of people are just looking, curious, tire kickers, and that the vast majority are not going to buy. But I also know because I was on the other side of the booth many moons ago that people might come to multiple boat shows over the years, long before they make the decision to buy a boat or boat systems. I know they remember those that answered all their questions over the years when they were not ready to buy and those that blew them off. It's not unusual at all that I have the same people year after year come by and ask questions again and again. It doesn't bother me one bit. Many of those people have come by the third or fourth year saying I'm finally ready, some never will. We know that buying a boat for most people is usually a years long process. Stop by the vendors booths, often, take advantage of their freely given knowledge. This is the time to ask all the questions you have and possibly more importantly, discover some new questions you should be asking.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:02   #29

Boat: Carter offshore 35

Bring return address labels. You won't have to write your name and address a 100 times. Really saves a lot of time.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:17   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I would disregard the advice not to go to the vendors booths and asking all the question you want to regardless if you are buying or not.

Stop by the vendors booths, often, take advantage of their freely given knowledge. This is the time to ask all the questions you have and possibly more importantly, discover some new questions you should be asking.
From one Boat Show Carnie to another, I agree with Tellie's advice and I'll add in anther reason to walk through the gear tents. You are looking for a boat to go Cruising on and will then need to either buy all the cruising gear yourself new if the boat you buys used doesn't have it. Or if you buy a new boat with NADA in terms of cruising gear you will have to buy that gear while outfitting your boat.

I recently sold a water maker to a client with a brand new big 48ft Cat. During our conversations, he commented that when he paid $750,000 for his boat he though that was the end of his money spending and then he could sail off into retirement. He didn't realize the amount of "cruising gear" his new Cat wouldn't come with and now much money and work adding that gear would add up to in the end. So he said he "deal $750K boat had turned into a $850 "deal" by the time he got it ready the way he wanted to cruise.

So a smart thing I would recommend for any new boat buyer/aspiring cruiser is to make a list of the Cruising Gear you will want/need on your boat. Then work the boat show vendor tents assigning prices to that list. Now when you are looking at boat you can ADD the gear costs to the sales price of the boat if it doesn't already have it. Making your wanted/needed gear list can also help you better evaluate a used boat. If the used boat has gear from your list and in working order...well that saves you cruising kitty money amigo!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat show