Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2016, 12:05   #901

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Re: GUNBOAT Dismasting

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I would be very surprised, particularly for a boat in that price range, if it were not held by a corporation which has only one asset -- the boat. So, the corp, which is now worth nothing, might get served for liabilities, but with no assets, its a moot case.
EXACTLY!
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:42   #902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I guess "one piece" doesn't include all the missing pieces (such as the cabin) that are no longer part of the boat.

I don't understand why the crew needed rescue. Still floating boat.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 15:33   #903

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
Ironically, there was a post saying how beautiful G66 is, as the "ultimate fast cruiser"

Honestly, the way the deck was ripped off tells me another, shitty, story :-)
Rainmaker is not a G66 so whats your point? All the previous M&M designs certainly fit that description.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:18   #904

Quote:
Ironically, there was a post saying how beautiful G66 is, as the "ultimate fast cruiser"

Honestly, the way the deck was ripped off tells me another, shitty, story :-)
Since Gunboat is now defunct this sorry story has already done its damage. I wonder what affect this will now have on the resale value of Gunboats going forward??????
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 06:39   #905
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Weekender/ Picnic style design, the 55 Gunboat

First off you should look more closely at the design concept of the 55 verses the other model Gunboats. it was designed to be an even more open cockpit/saloon than your normal catamaran,...that is there is a very minimalist top to the saloon area,...sort of a cover outdoor cockpit/saloon idea. I spoke about that in a few postings on some various forums, that were titled 'Picnic, Weekender style'.

Here is one:
Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - Page 2 - Boat Design Forums

So you can see this structure is not really designed to go thru a beating like that boat must have experienced after a rouge wave, and then a winter and a spring of rough weather in Atlantic storms while being greatly overloaded (flooded) with water.

What other vessel design do you think might even be still floating
Old 29-03-2016, 06:55   #906

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Whatever.... G66 or G55... I question the quality of the make

Beiland, I do believe any monohull of the worst make would keep floating for years... but I agree with you, for a picnic boat to keep floating looks a surprise... :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 07:37   #907
Marine Service Provider

Quote:

Beiland, I do believe any monohull of the worst make would keep floating for years... but I agree with you, for a picnic boat to keep floating looks a surprise... :-)
Are you really a sailor? Most monohulls I know of have a ballasted keel, and once full of water sink like a rock
Old 29-03-2016, 07:42   #908
Marine Service Provider

Re: Weekender/ Picnic style design, the 55 Gunboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
First off you should look more closely at the design concept of the 55 verses the other model Gunboats. it was designed to be an even more open cockpit/saloon than your normal catamaran,...that is there is a very minimalist top to the saloon area,...sort of a cover outdoor cockpit/saloon idea. I spoke about that in a few postings on some various forums, that were titled 'Picnic, Weekender style'.

Here is one:
Weekender/Picnic PowerCat - Page 2 - Boat Design Forums

So you can see this structure is not really designed to go thru a beating like that boat must have experienced after a rouge wave, and then a winter and a spring of rough weather in Atlantic storms while being greatly overloaded (flooded) with water.

What other vessel design do you think might even be still floating
OOPS, was unable to edit this message so had to repost it with an attached photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gb55-Caftaft1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	121597  
Old 29-03-2016, 07:44   #909

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiland View Post
Are you really a sailor? Most monohulls I know of have a ballasted keel, and once full of water sink like a rock
I have 11tons ballast (23,000lbs).

But I also have a strong deck, 4" tall EVER-closed portholes, and 5' bulkhead on the sea level

A Tiny monohull was found In. The Philippines, still floating after 12+!months, with a mummy on It....

But sure gunboats are designed to float half-submerging, as a new form of leisure (!?).

I found this,explaining my feeling in part: the main word being SUBSTANCE....
"
The boat doesnt have the substance... a big marketing gimmick. Already in 2004 an Outremer 45 Cat sailed with 22-23 knots (see vid: http://bit.ly/1Yh5YcY ). Give such "an old boat" some foils, high tech sails and T-rudder and you see the same in the range of 30 knots what we have seen with some spectacularly images with drones of the Orange G4. Nothing new, nothing special. Big show making... One should know the market and understand customers... and not just selling 100% Carbon at an insane prize in the range of 3-3.5 million US dollars / boat (produced cheaply in China). The list with critics could go on, e.g. looking at another concurrence... e.g. the SIG45 High Performance Cat going 20 knots easily (without foils) in 18 knots wind. Already sailed in 2008 in the range of up to 25-26 knots ( see vid: http://bit.ly/1WZCwuV ). A Le Breton Yachts SIG60 (with foils) by sure would be same competitive as the Gunboat. In other words: there is competitively concurrence... but all the hype around the G4 over last months pretended that this US boat would be something very special and new. But so it is not. Saillors with experiences having enough money and knowledge of the market (observing it over last 20-30 years) know all this and cant be made blind by some cool images."
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 09:06   #910
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Oh my, Thunderbird, "any monohull of the worst make would keep floating for years"? So, even after years unattended at sea following a dismasting, no monohull - not even the worst ones, would ever sink...

I strongly suspect that even other cat-haters on this site won't be prepared to go that far in an effort to justify their choice of a monohull - afterall, there are some valid, rational reasons for people to make that choice. Not that they are relevant to this thread.

In any event, I'm glad you love your boat, even if in doing so you have become blind to reality. As for me, I'm due back on the planet earth.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:27   #911

I think his point was that if his boat was boarded up in the same storm he doesn't think it would have had the decks ripped off and sunk.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 10:58   #912

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Oh my, Thunderbird, "any monohull of the worst make would keep floating for years"? So, even after years unattended at sea following a dismasting, no monohull - not even the worst ones, would ever sink...

I strongly suspect that even other cat-haters on this site won't be prepared to go that far in an effort to justify their choice of a monohull - afterall, there are some valid, rational reasons for people to make that choice. Not that they are relevant to this thread.

In any event, I'm glad you love your boat, even if in doing so you have become blind to reality. As for me, I'm due back on the planet earth.
Brad
Why everybody that says something that you (and some others) don't agree regarding cats has to be a cat hater? Why making this kind of inflammatory statements regarding other posters? That only contributes to a less than cordial ambiance on the forum and serves no purpose.

If you don't agree with him say so. He rectified is statement saying that he was referring to his boat, this one:

and in fact is hard to see how that cabin could be ripped from that boat, that is a very solid one. That is also a fact that many mono-hulls have been founded floating many months after being abandoned and among them some mass market ones, without any substantial damage.

He is talking about that particular model of Gunboat regarding the cabin having been ripped off and in fact that cabin does not seem very solid to me or offer much protection regarding big waves. He is not generalizing that to all other cats.

He makes several comparisons of Gunboats with several other cats that he seems to like. It seems to me that is opinion, as stated, is that Gunboat are more about big show marketing than anything else, since the cats he refers are much less expensive and in his opinion Gunboats offer nothing particularly different.

That opinion makes him a cat hater?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 12:19   #913
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

While he later described his own boat, he clearly said " ANY monohull of the WORST make would still be afloat years later." I gather you two agree with that proposition, or at least believe that it expresses a balanced view with respect to monohulls versus catamarans. Yikes!

Brad

PS Put another way, itf this was a thread about a monohull sinking after a dismasting, I can't imagine any cat owner posting that "any cat of the worst make would still be afloat years later." Why? It would be not only inflammatory and unhelpful, but obviously untrue. If somone did, I know I and most other cat owners would not support such a ridiculous 'opinion'.
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:30   #914

Quote:

So you're saying no monohull has ever sunk? How about the Oyster that recently sank when it's keel fell off? Isn't Oyster one of the best makes?

The people on this forum just keep raising the bar for stupidity.....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 13:36   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Why everybody that says something that you (and some others) don't agree regarding cats has to be a cat hater? Why making this kind of inflammatory statements regarding other posters? That only contributes to a less than cordial ambiance on the forum and serves no purpose.

If you don't agree with him say so. He rectified is statement saying that he was referring to his boat, this one:

and in fact is hard to see how that cabin could be ripped from that boat, that is a very solid one. That is also a fact that many mono-hulls have been founded floating many months after being abandoned and among them some mass market ones, without any substantial damage.

He is talking about that particular model of Gunboat regarding the cabin having been ripped off and in fact that cabin does not seem very solid to me or offer much protection regarding big waves. He is not generalizing that to all other cats.

He makes several comparisons of Gunboats with several other cats that he seems to like. It seems to me that is opinion, as stated, is that Gunboat are more about big show marketing than anything else, since the cats he refers are much less expensive and in his opinion Gunboats offer nothing particularly different.

That opinion makes him a cat hater?
Yes, he's a cat hater. He said so himself. At least he admits it, unlike you....

Regarding the cabin being ripped off - you do realise the boat was dismasted right? (It's in the title of the thread in case you didn't notice....)

Do you know how much damage the cabin suffered when the mast came down? Don't you think it's possible some damage was done to the cabin structure?

I remember a boat in the Sydney-Hobart lost it's mast, and in th eprocess a large amount of it's superstructure, leaving a gaping hole there, which meant it was certainly going to sink sooner or later. But of course that was a mono, so beyond criticism....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, dismasting, mast, rescue