Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 07:38   #16

Re: Gratuity/Tipping

I get the occasional tip, but it is not an industry standard.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:42   #17

No, you don't have to tip.

Shame on the school for suggesting it: that's really tacky. I would book somewhere else, where they treat customers as students rather than pinata$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
This is common in live aboard courses where the instructors are usually greatly underpaid for their work. Remember only a portion of your payment actually goes to the instructor and he/she will be with you and on the clock for 150+ hours that week. Yes, it annoying that the companies pass the bucket to us to pay their employees, but that's how the economics of that industry work.
Agreed that instructors are typically underpaid; but that fact is well known, and anyone who is dissatisfied should really be looking for another occupation. It's not like there is a shortage of qualified, competent, willing instructors. FWIW, I'm an RYA instructor and pay is pretty much the last motivator on my mind.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:24   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, I'm reading through the FAQ on the school's website, and it says that it is "standard practice in the industry to tip your instructor". Then it goes on to say that a "typical tip would range between 15% and 20% of your course fee".

Been an instructor/sailing school owner/charter captain. Its certainly not "standard practice" to tip instructors. I have received tips as an instructor, but certainly don't expect them. Recognition of a job well done is appreciated of course, but its totally voluntary in terms of whether to do it and what amount.

The best "tips" I've received as an instructor were non-monetary. One, an assortment of Rapala lures. Two, a very nice fly rod (Wow!).

On the fully crewed charter side, tipping generously is much more common and I would consider it a "standard practice" in that industry segment. Very much like staying at a nice resort, crews are busting their butts for very little pay, so tipping is a more common expectation. As captain, the tip money is often given to me to distrubute and I give most of it to the crew...who, under normal circumstances (no horrendous weather, no boat systems crisis), are working a lot harder than me anyway.

Another thing to consider is whether teaching is actually the instructor's livelyhood. For most instructors, teaching sailing is more of a hobby than an important source of income.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 17:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Well who knows..
One day the rich twats who run the US of A may start paying their citizens a living wage for the 1st time in history.. then we could get rid of this demeaning way of having to earn a living..
Cannot ever see it happening tho'.. to much individual self interest/fear to ever make any changes..
Just gotta say TAX and you **** yourselves...
Worth repeating, thanks for the outsider's view.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 19:26   #20

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Well who knows..
One day the rich twats who run the US of A may start paying their citizens a living wage for the 1st time in history.. then we could get rid of this demeaning way of having to earn a living..
Cannot ever see it happening tho'.. to much individual self interest/fear to ever make any changes..
Repeat #2. Sheesh I',m embarrassed at the country that I live in sometimes. Tipping is nonsense and silly. You want to pay the wait staff an additional 20%? Fine, put it in the cost of the food. Don't make me tip. I hate tipping. You wanna teach me to sail for $2K a week? Fine. But I ain't tipping cash. I may give a bottle of wine or something because that's a human thing to do.

I often wonder if I can become a Canadian. I like Canada. I like Canadians. They don't seem to be as insane as my fellow Americans. Maybe I can become a Mexican. I like Mexicans. I like Mexico. If you omit the narco stuff, Mexicans seem to be more sane than my fellow Americans. Brits? Hmmm... Have to think about that. Naaah.. Brits are great. Scots? Ok, still on the fence there....
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 20:42   #21

Two thoughts:
- This sounds like a crewed charter that happens to offer a sailing course. Still don't like it but in crewed charters it is more common.
- The only way we will break the excessive tipping problem is by refusing to play it. Stop giving out huge tips for everyone who thinks to ask and the problem will solve itself.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
Repeat #2. Sheesh I',m embarrassed at the country that I live in sometimes. Tipping is nonsense and silly. You want to pay the wait staff an additional 20%? Fine, put it in the cost of the food. Don't make me tip. I hate tipping. You wanna teach me to sail for $2K a week? Fine. But I ain't tipping cash. I may give a bottle of wine or something because that's a human thing to do.

I often wonder if I can become a Canadian. I like Canada. I like Canadians. They don't seem to be as insane as my fellow Americans. Maybe I can become a Mexican. I like Mexicans. I like Mexico. If you omit the narco stuff, Mexicans seem to be more sane than my fellow Americans. Brits? Hmmm... Have to think about that. Naaah.. Brits are great. Scots? Ok, still on the fence there....
Ermm... Scots ARE BRITS, Welsh are BRITS, English are BRITS, Northern Irish are BRITS, just for pedanticis

Robin3

True Brit
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 16:59   #23

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Well who knows..
While there may be some socio-political truth to that in general, I dont know of any billionaires who run sailing schools. Quite often sailing school owners are just scapping by, or like many instructors, are in it more for the life style.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:31   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
While there may be some socio-political truth to that in general, I dont know of any billionaires who run sailing schools. Quite often sailing school owners are just scapping by, or like many instructors, are in it more for the life style.
Its a Life-Style choice then isn't it? If they don't want to run a sailing school, they don't have to.

I deliver boats for a living - hardly gonna get rich or famous in that game!! But its my choice and - usually - keeps food on the table!!

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:38   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The tipping thing is nuts, I'd go elsewhere.
Do you "tip" your Doctor, your automobile mechanic, a plumber, the Airline pilot, the Stewardess, College Professor?
Why not?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:32   #26

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Two thoughts:
- This sounds like a crewed charter that happens to offer a sailing course. Still don't like it but in crewed charters it is more common.
- The only way we will break the excessive tipping problem is by refusing to play it. Stop giving out huge tips for everyone who thinks to ask and the problem will solve itself.
Nope. No crew... just us and an instructor.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:41   #27

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Nope. No crew... just us and an instructor.
Another tip from me:

I'm a customer and expect 15-20% tip ( discount) from businesses that I use, Oops I see your prices include that already...
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:11   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Scarlet appears to be learning with water sailing">Blue Water Sailing School, the only ASA school I can find with that large a tip recommendation, ""As always, a gratuity is at your discretion. However, it is standard practice in the industry to pay a gratuity to your instructor. Like the restaurant industry, tips make up a substantial portion of a sailing instructor's income. A typical tip would range between 15% - 20% of your course fee." (Blue Water Sailing School: Frequently Asked Questions)

We read this a couple years ago before our 106 advanced coastal course, and were equally shocked. I dutifully brought a few $50's on the trip with us, and discussed it with our classmates. We agreed that a few hundred bucks for the four of us was sufficient, and I ponied up. The captain/instructor had done a wonderful job instructing, catching fish off the stern, and basically making a great class and vacation week for us all. Even though the amount was probably *only* 10-15% of one of our course fees (or less than 1/4 of BWSS's recommendation), the captain didn't turn it down, spit in our face, or anything -- just accepted the cash graciously and thanked us. I'd suggest the same, and perhaps let BWSS know you don't like the suggestion. This tipping stuff aside, BWSS provided a great training experience, good boat to learn on, and an extremely competent captain to train us.
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Ermm... Scots ARE BRITS, Welsh are BRITS, English are BRITS, Northern Irish are BRITS, just for pedanticis

Robin3

True Brit
I think you'll find that Northern Ireland is part of the UK, but not part of Britain - just to be even more pedantic
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:42   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've taken two week-long sailing courses (CYA Basic and Advanced). I did not tip my Canadian instructor, although I may have bought a round (or two, or three ) of beers when we pulled in after the courses. You are paying for a service. If you like the guy/gal, treat him/her like a friend. If not, say thanks and move on.

Boatman has it sooooo right . Tipping is expanding as a way for businesses to hide the real cost of the services they provide. Pay people a living wage, and return tipping to an actual gratuity for exceptional service.