Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 09:38   #31
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: For the Aussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think Maine Cat is just about as good as any cat made anywhere. About the only other boat made here is the Gemini and they are average. The US still does have a robust monohull industry though.
When I look at Yachtworld it gives me the prices in US$ and the prices in Oz and NZ are decent now for us yanks. Not great but about average. What Ozzie fees and/or taxes would a yank have to pay if he purchased a boat down under assuming he flagged it US?

Agree, forgot about the MC
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:00   #32

Also if you are just looking at designed cats, there is Chris White in the USA.
https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...ywo=cwdesigns&
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:09   #33

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

All the CW cats have been built in Chile for some time now. There are a few CW home builds but not many lately.
Old 05-04-2019, 15:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
All the CW cats have been built in Chile for some time now. There are a few CW home builds but not many lately.

I guess for the same reason Australian designs are now being built in Vietnam and Thailand.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Plywood vs foam kevlar epoxy for similar dollars?
Really?
Modern ply/epoxy/glass construction is as good as anything else. Easy to maintain or repair.

Most of the Aussie cats under discussion here are Duflex, not foam. I don't think anyone uses Kevlar anymore.

And ply boats are cheaper: There's a well-built well-maintained and equipped Easy 11.6 for sale locally for $130K or offers. A comparable Duflex or foam boat would cost considerably more.
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:30   #36

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

…...the Catamaran company at Coomera......on the Gold Coast......their cats are on the hard...….see lots in one visit...…..better than a boat show.....and its just up the road from Gold Coast Airport...….relatively …….. and has direct international flights from lots of places....or land at Brisbane Airport....then Coomera is down the road...….relatively...….and has the added advantage of being next door to Brian Perry...….developed the Perry Catamaran range......still available...…..magnificent..…..and is a Shipwright....and his catamarans show it...……
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 18:18   #37

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
Modern ply/epoxy/glass construction is as good as anything else. Easy to maintain or repair.

Most of the Aussie cats under discussion here are Duflex, not foam. I don't think anyone uses Kevlar anymore.

And ply boats are cheaper: There's a well-built well-maintained and equipped Easy 11.6 for sale locally for $130K or offers. A comparable Duflex or foam boat would cost considerably more.
At a quick glance Free spirit and Alpha centauri II are both for sale for $175k and $190k
Both are bigger boats than an easy 11.6.
Both are foam kevlar epoxy, free spirit has a large prebent carbon fibre wing mast, both have won the Brisbane to Gladstone so clearly sail very well.

I have no problem with well built ply but they are few and far between but when the numbers are that close, to me there is no contest.

I honestly can't remember doing a major repair to foam sandwich due to product failure but I have lost count as to how much ply I have replaced in boats over the years.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 23:32   #38

Boat: Tri-star 18, Woods 22 ft Wizard

Thank you for all of the great info as well as P.M's sent.
There is a lot to research to do now and to get in contact with various brokers.
We will, as advised here, look at the Philippines as another option. We will keep you all in the loop as things progress. The time for booking flights and finishing up loose ends is close (a few months away) and as many of you know patience is now needed. So close yet feeling far away.

The more I look at the surrounding cruising areas of the Pacific and Indian oceans the more excited I am.
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:01   #39

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Sadly my 38 foot Lightwave is for sail. Available in Sydney Harbour, see https://www.multihullcentral.com/use...sWT1lbN8dSZ-Eg
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 04:02   #40

Boat: Trimarans!

Does anyone know the cost/availability of loading a 50-foot cat on a freighter in Brisbane (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter) for shipment to Florida?
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:05   #41

Boat: currently boatless

Hello Earthbm,
Boats can be loaded or unloaded at Brisbane, Its a major port in Australia so you should have no issues there. There are a number of vessels bringing boats as cargo into Brisbane. A quick search on the web quickly identifies a few of these. We had a quote from Turkey for a 40 to 45 foot multihull to Aus of 50 K to 60 K US to give you an idea. To bring it from Hong Kong was far more expensive. I was tokd it was due to port charges.
We have friens who put their 47 mono on once through the Panama Canal. Not much change of 50 K US when it cleared into Aus.

Greg H
Lagoon 440.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:17   #42

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Does anyone know the cost/availability of loading a 50-foot cat on a freighter in Brisbane (or anywhere on the east coast for that matter) for shipment to Florida?
We had a friend ship a 47ft mono from New Castle, NSW to Palm Beach, FL last year for usd$45k.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:04   #43

Boat: Trimarans!

This is very helpful, thanks!

Probably cheaper to have it delivered on its own. Or better yet, retire and start the world cruise at the Barrier reef.
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 02:35   #44

Boat: Outremer 55L

Delivering on its own bottom, especially if by you, is the cheapest up front but can result in costs for broken gear and opportunity cost (if you have employment or a business where you need to be active) that equal or exceed shipping. Of course, the experience of sailing yourself, especially if not just delivery mode, can be priceless.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:11   #45

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthbm View Post
Try Boatman on here, He delivers boats all over the world,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote