Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 04:42   #16

Boat: Tri-star 18, Woods 22 ft Wizard
Re: For the Aussies

Well to clarify a few things.
We are both living in South Africa, but in addition, my misses has an American passport. Our budget is Aus$ 300 000 or Us$ 200 000 well there about. So we are looking for a performance orientated cruising cat. Light, fast, strong and simple for full time cruising or live aboard. The area also has a lot to offer in terms of cruising destinations. It seems like Aus is the best place to begin our adventure, based on our needs. We are not looking at immigrating. We could buy a Lagoon, Leopard or FP for that price but it is not our style/preference. Being able to sail in light winds and beating to weather when needed holds more merit than comfort does.

We would register in Britain, small ships registry, due to registering in SA is just expensive and a pain in the arse. We will be searching all of the websites that you all have been so kind as to mention.

Which will be the top 3 brokers to use or should we just contact as many as possible? Excuse my ignorance here as my previous boats were bought out of hand; I like personal contact, not middle runners. (Aus is not a 5-minute bike ride away!)

We have only recently been looking at Aus so I haven't looked at any tax rebates yet. So Goldcoast and surrounding area seems like the spot. And do you have slight price drops in winter or are prices constant?

Simi the crowther cat is a Windspeed 41ft that we like.

Thanks for getting back so soon with advice and answers
Regards
Rudi
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 13:40   #17

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour View Post

We are both living in South Africa, but in addition, my misses has an American passport.

We would register in Britain, small ships registry, due to registering in SA is just expensive and a pain in the arse. We will be searching all of the websites that you all have been so kind as to mention.

The SSR (Part III of the UK Register) is only for UK-resident individuals (at least 185 days per year) and does not provide proof of title, which you’ll need when you come to sell.

The Part I register is available to non-resident owners, which I think applies to you. It also provides proof of ownership. Some countries do want to see proof of ownership when you check in.

Refer to https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register.

One benefit of registering with the UK is that your ship station licence and MMSI are free (via Ofcom). PM me if you want information about registering in Jersey, which puts your boat on the Part 1 register.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:18   #18

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Can you point to all the in the US amongst those pages and pages for sale?

If you had read the first post you would see that this is what he is after.
And if you had read my post with an open mind you would understand that despite the fact that the OP likes australian made designs, that obviously will not be for sale in the US, he could choose american made cats, and would pay less for the same quality.
That is my point, qualified by my last sentence ... unless the OP has other reasons [like made in OZ]... etc.

The boating market in Australia is highway robbery from the sale to the parts to the service. That is a fact. I have decades of experience in importing boats and machinery from the US, engines, and parts for marinization. Last time I was in a hurry for a gearbox, god quoted $2400 and one month wait from the gold coast, and bought it from the UK for 600 pounds including shipping, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. The excuse given was ... "Well I have to import the gearbox don't I?"
Like I said, service here is non existent. You buy here at your own peril.
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:28   #19

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc1 View Post
And if you had read my post with an open mind you would understand that despite the fact that the OP likes australian made designs, that obviously will not be for sale in the US, he could choose american made cats, and would pay less for the same quality.
That is my point, qualified by my last sentence ... unless the OP has other reasons [like made in OZ]... etc.
Nope.
Nothing near as good.
Show me a foam kevlar epoxy crowther windspeed or supershockwave 41 in the US for under $200kaud or any US built cat for that matter.

Just one will do.

Quote:
. The boating market in Australia is highway robbery from the sale to the parts to the service. That is a fact. I have decades of experience in importing boats and machinery from the US, engines, and parts for marinization. Last time I was in a hurry for a gearbox, god quoted $2400 and one month wait from the gold coast, and bought it from the UK for 600 pounds including shipping, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. The excuse given was ... "Well I have to import the gearbox don't I?"
That has nothing to do with what the op is trying to achieve.
He is not after engine parts he is after a non production Australian designed performance catamaran and strange as it may seem, the vaste majority of those are in Australia.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:45   #20

Boat: 2004 Steber 2200 Persuader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tour View Post

And do you have slight price drops in winter or are prices constant?

Regards
Rudi
Boating market in OZ is definitely seasonal. This is the time to start looking and the time the seller starts to get desperate if he has not sold.

One thing to look for is the ... many time rather large gap ... between asking price and selling price.

When you find your boat, negotiate and negotiate and negotiate again. If you are not ashamed of your offer, you are offering too much

PS
When Queensland is a larger market with more options, it is also one with a longer season. Try NSW or Victoria and you will find a shorter season and a longer period of no sales that can drive prices down.

PS PS ... Simi, if like you say Australia is the capital of catamarans, that is news to me and welcome news at that. I still think that our market is puni compared to even just Florida, but if the OP is in South Africa obviously this is just anecdotal.

i wonder if Rudi has looked at Greece or the Philippines? Great bargains to be had there ... then again maybe not Australian made.

Good luck in your search and don't forget to post pictures
Marc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 14:59   #21

Quote:
PS PS ... Simi, if like you say Australia is the capital of catamarans, that is news to me and welcome news at that. I still think that our market is puni compared to even just Florida, but if the OP is in South Africa obviously this is just anecdotal.

)
No where did I say or imply that and clearly you don't know much about catamarans.
Old 04-04-2019, 15:02   #22

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Currently, One US dollar will cost you One dollar and 41 cents,
So 200.000 USD will be 285.000 AUD,

The Whitsundays in Qld and Perth and Fremantle in WA also have a lot of Cats for sale,

I bought mt Cat overseas because I couldnt afford to buy one here, But the exchange was almost dollar for dollar at the time,
There was nothing here for under 300 grand AUD, either,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 16:02   #23

Boat: Outremer 55L

Note that the OP is looking for a performance catamaran that sails well. That is not the case with the plethora of charter-oriented cats that are most common in the US, Caribbean and Europe. This is not criticism, just observation.

Australian designers are well known for their performance designs and their boats are most commonly found in OZ and to a lesser extent in SE Asia.

Another option for the OP is to look at French designers such as Lerouge and Danson (though he is dead so nothing newer than an early 2000s Outremer 45) for the few examples of their designs that are available.

There’s the MaineCat too, not sure of the used market and affordability.

Someone is advertising a nice looking Switch 51 on this forum, though that’s a bit bigger and expensive than you’ve specified. That said, extra waterline, especially if without extra accommodations, sure feels good when the conditions get boisterous and more.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 16:53   #24
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
For the Aussies

Quote:

The boating market in Australia is highway robbery from the sale to the parts to the service. That is a fact. I have decades of experience in importing boats and machinery from the US, engines, and parts for marinization. Last time I was in a hurry for a gearbox, god quoted $2400 and one month wait from the gold coast, and bought it from the UK for 600 pounds including shipping, and it arrived in less than 2 weeks. The excuse given was ... "Well I have to import the gearbox don't I?"

Please name those American made cats as the US doesn’t produce many cruising catamarans
And honestly I can’t think of any that would compare in design quality to what you can get in Aus.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 20:18   #25

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I think Maine Cat is just about as good as any cat made anywhere. About the only other boat made here is the Gemini and they are average. The US still does have a robust monohull industry though.
When I look at Yachtworld it gives me the prices in US$ and the prices in Oz and NZ are decent now for us yanks. Not great but about average. What Ozzie fees and/or taxes would a yank have to pay if he purchased a boat down under assuming he flagged it US?
Old 04-04-2019, 20:25   #26

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
I think Maine Cat is just about as good as any cat made anywhere. About the only other boat made here is the Gemini and they are average. The US still does have a robust monohull industry though.
When I look at Yachtworld it gives me the prices in US$ and the prices in Oz and NZ are decent now for us yanks. Not great but about average. What Ozzie fees and/or taxes would a yank have to pay if he purchased a boat down under assuming he flagged it US?
10 % GST, Every one pays that,
We have the free trade agreement with the USA so there is no duty payable,
If its got a motor in it, you need a licence to drive it in Victoria,
Other states, No Idea,
You may have to register it, That varies state to state, Approx $80-00 in Victoria, That varies wildly with other states too,
International Rego, No idea on that cost, It was about $1200-00 last time I checked,
These are AUD prices,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 20:34   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
International Rego, No idea on that cost, It was about $1200-00 last time I checked,
To have an Australian registered ship (yacht) you MUST be an Aussie citizen. I believe the OP is a Yank, and thus ineligible. He can easily register the vessel in the USA if he wishes, and there are various flags of convenience available.

If the vessel he buys is not new, I do not believe that GST is paid (we did not have that requirement when we bought our Aussie registered and built yacht, second hand).
Various taxes could be laid if and when the boat enters the USA, much depending on which state gov is involved.

Jim
Old 04-04-2019, 23:59   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Jim is correct, no GST on second hand boats.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 00:54   #29

Just for interest, Google "Easy catamaran for sale" and have a look.

About 150+ of them sailing, they are known as a quick safe comfortable boat. The best part for family cruisers is the cutter rig.

You won't hit 20 knots like a bigger Schionning or Oram, but in the real world, cruising your liveaboard home with your other half trying to get some rest or cook some food, you won't really want to do 20 knots.
Teleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 03:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman View Post
Just for interest, Google "Easy catamaran for sale" and have a look.

About 150+ of them sailing, they are known as a quick safe comfortable boat. The best part for family cruisers is the cutter rig.

You won't hit 20 knots like a bigger Schionning or Oram, but in the real world, cruising your liveaboard home with your other half trying to get some rest or cook some food, you won't really want to do 20 knots.
Plywood vs foam kevlar epoxy for similar dollars?
Really?