Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2019, 01:03   #1
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran
Dutchman reefing

We have slab reefing, with lazy jacks and a standard sail/boom cover. I am thinking about adding a stackpack but I hate the lazyjacks as they get caught up all the time. The advantage is how easy it is to pack away with just a zip along the top.

I had a Wharram once that had the Dutchman reefing system which seemed to work well and am thinking perhaps this would be a better system with no lazyjacks to snag! The ability to reef easly in less than perfect conditions is the main criteria for me in a reefing system but I would like to know if anyone has experience with this system?
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 02:31   #2

Re: Dutchman reefing

The Dutchman is nice if set up well but the downside is it flakes the sail at the same points all the time which can increase wear at those points. You could rig a line to pull the lazyjacks to the mast to keep them out of the way until required for dropping the sail.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 02:39   #3

Have a look at this thread for ideas on dealing with your lazyjacks.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cks-90769.html
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 09:17   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I’ve had the Dutchman system on my boat for the 20 years I’ve owned it. When I had a new mainsail built I had it configures to use the Dutchman. In all these years I have had to replace the monofilament lines three times which was no problem. The sail lowers under control and stays contained by the system and raises easily. It is not inexpensive to install requiring modifications to the sail and to the sail cover. If you are going to a stack pack type of cover anyway that would work with the Dutchman. I have not experienced any additional chafe on the sail from the Dutchman lines. Dirt from the air does run down the monofilament lines and leaves stains on the sail. You have to decide if that bothers your aesthetic sense.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 10:29   #5

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have Dutchman on my boat. I like it very much. Makes reefing much easier because it catches the sail. On the downside, you have to remember to slack the topping lift under sail or the monofilament lines don't let the sail shape develop fully.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 12:51   #6

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Dirty sails and a bit of complication to the sail cover is a downside to the Dutchman system. It came with the boat, so no clue on costs for the system, modifying the sail, and rigging the Dutchman monofilament lines.
Upside- it keeps the mainsail from blowing around while reefing or dropping the main.
Very user friendly in my experience
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2019, 17:56   #7

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I had a dutchman and a track on my old boat. It was great! Super easy to drop the main and it flakes perfectly every time. Maybe it does flake the sail at the same place every time but then so did I before I had a dutchman system. Never was a problem in my experience.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 01:54   #8
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

Great info thanks.

I am going to try and work with the lazyjacks but if still no good then the Dutchman is looking good.
Everyone that has it is happy
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 03:12   #9

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I had the Dutchman system on my last boat..... had it for about 8 years, never had to change lines and loved the ease of use. Sailmaker who installed built nice cover that was tight around lines so dirt did not travel down while not in use. Great system in my opinion......

Good luck!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote