Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2008, 05:19   #1

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!
Daggerboards.

Our next boat will most likely be a Catana. The only questionmark for me are the daggerboards, how vunerable are they? Does anybody have any experience with that?
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 05:50   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
Our next boat will most likely be a Catana. The only questionmark for me are the daggerboards, how vunerable are they? Does anybody have any experience with that?
They work really well as anolog depth sounders.

Seriously, Catana claims the trunks are 7 (or 11?) times stronger than the boards, implying the boards will break first if you hit something hard enough. I am not personally aware of a board being broken, but it stands to reason somebody somewhere has run into something hard enough and has succeeded in doing this.

Aside from that, I've found the boards to be easy to operate and have no vibration or other annoyances. There is a trick to raising/lowering them under way - you have to put a load on them (if trying to raise them) and wait for them to "bounce" up when relaxed in the seaway. Then take up another few inches on the "halyard" and wait again.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2008, 12:06   #3

Thanks for your reply, while we are at it, are you happy with the build quality etc. of the Catana? I have been on a number of them but that's not the same as owning and operating one.
Old 27-02-2008, 12:57   #4

Hi Eric - yes, I am very happy with the overall build quality. This doesn't mean there aren't problems with the way Catana did some things - as there probably are with any builder. The electrical distribution system uses circuit boards positioned at various locations around the boat to accomplish switching - ostensibly to minimize fire hazards and reduce weight of wiring. I think this is nuts from a maintenance standpoint. A acquaintence recently discovered he had to cut an access hole to get to the back side of some ganged spinlock clutches to be able to get them off to replace worn cams. Crazy. I don't like the way the primary anchor rides out on the front cross beam. I wish it could be stowed right under the forward part of the bridge deck to get the weight off the bow. I wish I had Yanmars instead of Volvos. I wish I had a hard top bimini. On all the 431s and 471s (and maybe others) the solid saloon windows that are not slightly curved develop crazing (The theory is that whatever heating was applied to curve the other ones made them immune to the crazing).

So, I'm being candid about some problems and some things I think Catana could have done better. I bet I'll find more. BUT - all the good points far outweigh the bad. I've sailed a lot of monos and cats in my 40+ years of sailing and racing and for my cruising plans and my desires I have the best cat available for the $$ I could spend when I bought her. This doesn't mean anybody else should make the same conclusions. The best part is that I could sell her today for lots more. The fit and finish is the best I've seen in production cruising cats and the seaworthiness and sailing sophistication is top shelf. I would have no other boat. Your mileage may vary.

Dave
Old 27-02-2008, 13:40   #5

Hi Dave,

Why the Yanmars over the Volvo's? I am leaning towars the 50ft, I just hope I won't have to cut any holes to get acces to an electrical panel!
Old 27-02-2008, 16:11   #6

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Why the Yanmars over the Volvo's? I am leaning towars the 50ft, I just hope I won't have to cut any holes to get acces to an electrical panel!
Hi again Erik - My Yanmar preference is more subjective than objective - I've just been around Yanmars more and Yanmar has a school for owners that sounds appealing. Volvo would be wise to do the same, IMHO. In fairness I've had no problems with mine.

You won't have to cut holes to access electric boxes - but finding replacement circuit boards may be more difficult. I do not know if the 50 uses this approach.

I don't have much knowledge of the Catana 50. Crawled around the only one so far in the US (I think) at the Annapolis show. Very nice.

Dave
Old 28-02-2008, 04:37   #7

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Hi Dave,

Erik

Volvo parts are very expensive and sometimes difficult to get - unbelievably- I waited over 3 months for some saildrive components recently and I still haven't recovered from the size of the invoice.

Catana.... Don't own one but they are the only other boat I seriously considered before going for a Privilege. Catana quality appears to be excellent. I've had similar problems as 2Hulls regarding access to fix things that have broken. Had to employ a very small, strong, young lady to get to the back of my mainsheet traveller when it needed removing

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 04:59   #8

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip about Volvo parts, unfortunatly the 50 comes with Volvo D2 engines. What made you decide to go with the Privilege?

Erik.
Old 28-02-2008, 06:08   #9

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip about Volvo parts, unfortunatly the 50 comes with Volvo D2 engines. What made you decide to go with the Privilege?

Erik.
There's normally an option on the type of engine, particularly on more expensive boats so I'd have thought Catana would fit for Yanmars for you. Volvo was standard on Privilege but I could have had equivalent Yanmars for around €8000 if I remember correctly.

I chose Privilege in the end because I planned to put the boat in charter and didn't want the complication of dagger boards. Also - and I've disagreed with 2 Hulls on this previously- I want to be helming from behind a well protected bulkhead when the going gets tough.

They were the only two reasons. Loved both of the boats.... Quality build, quality equipment, good resale value, practical and luxurious interiors.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 06:43   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannius View Post
There's normally an option on the type of engine, particularly on more expensive boats so I'd have thought Catana would fit for Yanmars for you.
Agree. If you're going to build a new one, they ought to agree to put Atomic 4s on it if you want.

Dave
Old 28-02-2008, 07:04   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Great thread about the Catana...thanks guys.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 07:07   #12

After we sell our house I want to get going ASAP, a good reason to buy a very lightly used boat. On the other hand buying a new one gives me the option of choosing engines etc. I haven't decided yet but I'm sure there have been some dicussions about this subject before.
Old 28-02-2008, 07:18   #13

Quote:
a good reason to buy a very lightly used boat.
Man oh man - I suggest you go used vs new big time. (If Phil's reading - don't take this personally!) Reasonably, the jury is still out on the new 50s. They may end up being as successful as the 431s and 471s - unless they're not. Going with the proven 471 is a no brainer.

Besides, you're not going to find a used 50 - not long enough time yet, but I bet you know this. You just missed a cream puff 471 located in Panama assuming the sale goes through - sea trial was in the last couple days.

Dave
Old 28-02-2008, 12:22   #14

I know of at least two 50's that are available right now. But it really doesn't matter because nothing goes until our house is sold and that might take anything from a week to 5 years. Beside the fact that we need the money I do not want to make the same mistakes twice. I want to have peace of mind when I am on the boat and not having to worry or fly all over to check on properties. I am sure there are a lot of very good arguments for buying a used boat but ist's no use denying that the fact of being the first owner of a boat made to your specs has it's charms as well. Our 50' mono hull we bought used, by the time we reached Georgetown from Ft. Lauderdale I already had a long list of stuff that needed repair or replacement in spite of the extensive survey we had done before buying. But like I said, it's all the stuff dreams are made of right now untill we sell the house. But then........
Old 01-03-2008, 12:28   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Catana has 3 x 50 s for sale at this moment so it is easy to pick one up now , a very nice boat but far to heavy with 20 tons , Catana has recognized that problem and has put the 50 on a weight diet , they want to shave 3 tons of in the near future.
Because of the high weight she is slow , A friend of mine has sailed her with 25 knots of wind and she topped out at 12 knots or 50 % of wind speed.
Daggerboard do Break , A friend with of mine with a catana 401 broke both last year on a trip to Sweden and found out that catana had disposed of the moulds so she had to have new moulds produced in order to replace them so it might be wise to order one extra daggerboard and just keep it in stock.
Catana,s are strong build boats and the strongbox in the rear of the daggerboard casing is of excellent quality.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote