Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 15:31   #1

Condor 40 Overhaul / Fix-up Pricing Suggestions + Surveyor

Hi,

I am looking to get a blue water cruiser and am interested in a Condor 40, as I want the speed of a tri but can't do the quarter million price tag for something new. So I saw the one in North Carolina. It needs a lot of things done to be a really sharp and capable boat, and this will be my first big boat purchase, so I am hoping I can get some ideas from you guys.
  • Bottom Sanding/Painting
  • Full deck painting
  • Monitor Wind Vane
  • Currently has some Raymarine electronics and supposedly has a drive unit attached to rudder, but nothing else autopilot wise. Presume I need Raymarine computer/head unit
  • Daggerboard apparently does not fit well and needs to be sanded/painted
  • No dingy. Need to buy a used one
  • Currently has 170 watt solar regen. Would like to double that at least.
  • One ama has broken hatch, the other has no hatch. Would like to have hatches put in both.

This list is not 100%. For example, will need to purchase emergecy gear, maybe new batteries, etc. But I am hoping for some tips on how to get this done the best, both as far as speed/quality/price.

Currently the boat is in NC. I would like to get the necessary things done in the USA and then finish refit in the caribbean what is possible (i.e. labor work like painting.)

So here is the question, what is the best way to do this? Dropping it off at a yard and getting a nice fat bill is one option, but what else?

What is appealing to me is hiring i.e. a fellow knowledgeable cruiser, and getting the technical stuff taken care of (autopilot, solar/electrical system). Any advice on doing / finding something like that? Good idea? Cut the yard out = cheaper for me, money in pocket of other cruiser?

Also I feel a hired hand like that would know cheaper places to get anchors, dingys, etc.

Then take it to a caribbean island for sanding/full painting? Am I correct it will be cheaper there?

Also, any suggestions on a surveyor who's good with trimarans in the NC area?

Thanks!
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 19:11   #2

Boat: Seawind - 1160
As a former Condor owner, I would suggest that you do as much work as possible. Once you leave the US coast and star working your way towards that Carribbean Island you will find getting help with repairs much more difficult. If you instal it you will unrest and how to fix it when it breaks.

There are 4-5 Condors in the Texas area. You might check on the TOMA Texas offshore multihull yahoo group for help on condor issues. Someone down there has the molds for the dagger board and rudder.

Cam
Double-Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:21   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Condor 40 Overhaul / fix-up pricing suggestions + surveyor

I think you should do the work in N.Carolina. I'll bet labor rates are way cheaper then S. Florida.
The problems with having work done in the islands are "island time" which means doing it tomorrow and importing the necessary materials which may be a hassle, time consuming and very costly. Varies with the islands though. Definitely buy your electronics first.
Old 16-10-2013, 08:36   #4

Any suggestions on a good honest yard in the area to get work done? Currently boat is in new bern, NC
watanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 15:54   #5

Time is money. If you're not in a hurry, do it yourself. It may be "cheaper", but when you factor in your time it will be a push. The bonus is that when you're in the middle of nowhere, you'll be much more prepared to fix it when/if it breaks.

If you have more money than time, take it to a reputable yard and cut them a "fat check". Then go sailing and enjoy.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 18:17   #6

Boat: Norm Cross 28 Tri, Hobie Miracle 20, Hobie trifoiler, Condor-40

I have a condor 40 and I'm having some projects completed in the Georgetown yacht basin in Maryland. They have dozens of Multihulls in there so I am confidant they will do excellent work. There is a c40 for sale on Craig's list for $45k that boasts a complete refit. I would consider that one. Also the original builder of t he c40 is in Beaufort NC.
Chris in Hawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 07:47   #7

Chris, Georgetown does great work but they put my rebuilt mast ($7k)on too tight which caused my compression post to split 100 miles after they stepped it. It cost me $3500 to fix it. You can upgrade your post and beam for under $1,000 if it is not damaged, don't go offshore without it
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 07:56   #8

I have a rudder question. Does anyone have a rudder that can be raised? Mine is fixed which is a bit scary if you ground it. CCI manufactures cassette or hinged types for corsairs and can do so for the condor. I would be open for any suggestions or photos. Chrislaletin "at" mac "dot" com
Old 14-06-2014, 05:39   #9

Just saw this post. I have Condor #17 with a lifting rudder. I can send details if interested.
Thunderbird34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 13:48   #10

I bought condor #21 last year and have done most what you ask about. Give me a call at 808 seven seven two 2123 and i am in maryland and launched ja yesterday.
Old 23-06-2014, 13:17   #11

Boat: Condor40 - Trimaran

I've had #18 for about 8 years on Texas coast, be heading to
Guatemala in about three weeks, weather window permitting.

- Shane
shanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 13:24   #12

Good job, you are one lucky man. Cheers, Stephen #3
multihuler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhaul, survey, surveyor