Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2019, 10:37   #1
txg

Boat: Dufour 35
Catana 411 spreader construction

Hi there,

we are in contact with friends which have currently done about fourty percent of a pacific crossing from Panama to Marquesas. They are no beginners but this is their first longer crossing. Now they have a problem with their rig:

The Catana has diamond stays and a triangle spreader. The spreader legs are connected with two struts. Some days ago, one of these struts became loose. They managed to go up the mast in light winds and get it fixed, but now it got loose again and conditions are not as favourable as before.

Does someone have any idea about:

A. how is this construction built in detail? Are the connecting struts fixed with bolts? We can't help with a workaround fix without getting an idea of the construction.

B. We have no experience with catamaran rigs. How important are these spreader connections when running with wind angles of about 70 to 120 degrees and 15 to 20 knots of wind? Should they just keep on sailing or risk going up the mast again?

C. Am i correct in suggesting to reduce load on these spreaders for now by taking down the main and running under genoa only?
Old 26-04-2019, 14:48   #2

Re: Catana 411 spreader construction

I do think you're correct about dropping the main.

The forestay attachment is right next to the shrouds, so much of the forestay loads will transfer directly to them.

The mast will only have compression load, not the bending load the mainsail can apply.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2019, 18:03   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I don't know about the Catana construction but it's a French boat and so is mine and the design is similar. Palarran has 3 of these with the top one not having the full forward strut but one that bridges the two spreaders straight across. I do think it's important but not 100% critical. A double or triple reef shouldn't be too much stress. Those bars are just to keep the spreader from moving fore or aft. The bars are attached to the spreaders with a bold that is probably about 2 inches long.

In most likelihood your friends will have already fixed this by the time you get them any info. But if not, my suggestion is to find a bolt that will work for when the wind abates. If they don't have one, I'd start looking at all non-critical components and figure out where to get one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00380.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	190837  
Old 26-04-2019, 18:44   #4
txg

Boat: Dufour 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
In most likelihood your friends will have already fixed this by the time you get them any info.

That's exactly the case, i just got a message that they went on a downwind course and managed to fix everything. Hopefully now this repair will be holding up.

But thanks for your information and the picture!

Tags
catana