Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Catamarans With Comfort and Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
Good piont should not make such bold statement. But Beating out a charter boat in the BVI's especially a voyage is normally sailed by a bare boat sailer with minimal experience. Sailing your own boat with an experienced crew you should out sail most of the boats you see. Speed on these cruising catamarans is so affected by weight of stuff on the boat, and sail area snd condition folding props, bottom condition etc. Ect. Ect. I have not found a 45 leapard that has kept up with us, but we cary more sail as well. The standard sail package on our boat was very inadequate. We added a 1000 sgft mylar sail on a 6' bow sprit and with and average 75% of wind seed with light ship. Problem for us we cruise two months at a time like now heading to the florida keys, with fifty cases of beer....damn we are really slow. But not thirsty.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
While I would like to think that Jet Stream, my L45, is well sailed, I was only comparing "competitions" with other professionally sailed Voyages, realizing that bareboats were generally dead meat. I live and work here; I understand that! That is not to say that there aren't good sailors sailing bareboats, sometimes, but I have a huge advantage in knowing my boat, which they don't. I take this into consideration in my comparison with all sorts of other boats and crews! I am guessing that many of the Leopard 45's and 47's that you have seen have suffered from the same disadvantages, which may have affected their speeds.

Although it is no longer the case, Voyage used to have a considerable number of crewed yachts, and I am referring mostly to these.I haven't run into one that was sailing with anything other than its white sails, so I am only citing my experience in equal conditions. I would expect that when you have all your light wind stuff up, you would be faster than them, as would be a Leopard.

Jet Stream is a liveaboard crewed charter boat, hence generally much heavier than bareboats. I actively try to keep the weight down, as I greatly value performance, but there are many toys, and I live aboard and have a generator. However, I do have a light dinghy and have resisted changing to a hard-top, with its attendant weight. As I said in my earlier post, I would imagine that the open salon would make your boat a good bit lighter than the others, to begin with, and possibly the exception to my observations. It would be fun to compare! I do some freelance skippering as well as skippering my own boat and know the Voyage folks very well. I have had to turn down a gig on a sistership of yours, but will probably have another chance, which I will look forward to and report upon.

Cheers,
Tim

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:34   #32

We are actually quite heavy, generator, water maker, 12ft AB. Wiuld be fun, hope to make it to the BVI in a couple years. See you then....

Sailingcouple13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:34   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailingcouple13 View Post
We are actually quite heavy, generator, water maker, 12ft AB. Wiuld be fun, hope to make it to the BVI in a couple years. See you then....

Just make sure you have those fifty cases of beer aboard!!! By the way, if you aren't super familiar with the nooks and crannies of the Virgin Islands, British, US and Spanish, when you get here, I will point you to a few out of the way spots you might like.

Cheers,
Tim
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:55   #34

If you can deal with upgrading an older boat maybe a TPI built Lagoon 42. Has keels.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 13:37   #35

Been there chartering couple times, also a friend owned a charter there awhile back.

Old 04-10-2014, 14:27   #36

I believe the boat was named Wallstreet

Tags
catamaran