Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 16:04   #1

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane
Catamaran Buying option 50"

Hi All

i¨m a newbie to multihulls and i need your Advice on it ..

First of All i plan to do allot more research but have made a time frame

Q3 signing Contract for a new boat around 50 " Cat

The Following i have narrowed it down to are

Option 1 Outremer 5X.
Option 2 Saba 50
Option 3 Lagoon 500

Q4 getting all my Training and certificate up to date ..

Q1 and Q2 being a Crew member on different Cat¨s to gain as much knowledge and training

Q3 Delivery of the boat Learning to handle my new Boat

Q4 Starting My Cruise which i expect to take 4-5 years

This is a very overall plan

but this is were i need your help in getting me as much information on the Cats

i plan to attend the boat show in LA GRANDE MOTTE by end of April
mikethedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 17:41   #2

Re: Catamaran Buying option 50"

I really like this plan.

You have chosen three cats well if you are looking in the $1.1-1.3M price range. The Outremer 5X is a performance cat so not as much space or payload as the others. The Saba 50 is so brand new that nobody has any idea what it will be like. All we have are renderings. I even heard they changed the sail plan due to ridicule from distributors. The Lagoon 500 was replaced by the Lagoon 52 so perhaps you are meaning the 52.

I guess the questions are what are you looking for in a cat? Will you have a lot of people on board at all times? Are you looking for performance? Is quality and after sales support important to you?

All three would be a handful without two additional crew. The Lagoon 52 will have the most space. The Outremer 5X will be twice as fast as the others.

Go watch the videos of the 5X and the 52 on Youtube to get an idea of what it's like to live and sail on one.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 18:10   #3

Hi Joe

Thanks for your Reply and to answer your question "edited the original post "

I¨m aware of the outremer is faster which will be fine for the long hauls eg Atlantic Crossing and so and for the price range it is up to 2 million USD
fully fits boat "options and so on "

and for important part for me is

Comfort
quality of build "but i assume all 3 are of good quality"

After sales support

and for the Crew it will be me who is on Full time and i expect to have 2 more on a shift basic so we will always be 2 person who have the knowledge of boat min 3 month

and then i expect to have between 2-4 additional crew members so the boat will have a min of 4 crews on board at all times

and i have watch allot of videos on youtube and also read what ever i could get my hands on .. this has been a process for during the last 4 month
Old 28-03-2014, 18:12   #4

update the boat should be a Lagoon 52 insted of the old Lagoon 500
Old 28-03-2014, 18:44   #5

Boat: 36 cross tri

is it just me or do you think ouch when you see all those sharp corners in most of the newer cats?
Nick Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:04   #6

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

How about a boom thats out of reach and well over 25 feet above the water?
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:13   #7

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
I really like this plan.

You have chosen three cats well if you are looking in the $1.1-1.3M price range. The Outremer 5X is a performance cat so not as much space or payload as the others. The Saba 50 is so brand new that nobody has any idea what it will be like. All we have are renderings. I even heard they changed the sail plan due to ridicule from distributors. The Lagoon 500 was replaced by the Lagoon 52 so perhaps you are meaning the 52.
Mikethedane, I like your methodical approach.

As Jostalli said, these are very different boats. I would encourage you to spend as much time on as many different boats as possible. Don't limit yourself to sailing just those 3 boats. You will learn a lot from every boat you sail from sail handling, to helm position, to layout, etc. You will find those things that are really important and those things that you thought were important, but after trying alternatives are not so important. There are lots of debates of helm position, galley up/down, walk around vs crawl in end/side berths. Until you live with it yourself for a week or more you don't really know what will be a true deal breaker. Given your specs, I would suggest you consider the Atlantic 47, it looks great on paper. While I haven't sailed an Atlantic (yet), I have sailed a forward cockpit boat (Elcie Expeditions), and really loved it. However it's a particular pet peeve of mine that on most cruising cats you can't see forward well while sitting in various places in the cockpit. I like to be able see 360 degrees from anywhere in the saloon and don't want to be glued to the helm chair underway. Another option you may consider: A year or so ago there was a rumor going around that someone had engaged Dick and Maine Cat to build them a 50' version of his boats. That would be a nice alternative as well.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:14   #8

At first I was confused, then I realized you are from Denmark.

50" = 127 centimeters

50' = 15.24 meters.

As for your choice in boats, sounds like you have chosen 3 good ones to start with. It may just boil down to your personal preferences in terms of speed vs comfort or ease of handling to determine which one you will like best.

Good luck! I wish I were shopping in that price bracket!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:32   #9

The Outremer 5X really is aimed at a particular buyer, who is much different than the buyer of a Lagoon 52 or Saba 50. Once you step aboard you may not notice but when you take the test sail you will. It's a speedboat.

I don't mean to throw a wrench into your plan but I think I have the boat that fits perfectly: The new Catana 53. It's a whole new design that is stunning. The new Catana 59 was at the Miami show and the 53 is a mirror of it (just slightly smaller). That boat IMHO is just amazing. The 53 is in your price range and the one I would choose.

Caractéristiques - Catana 53 - Catana - Catamarans

Just watch this video and tell me that doesn't excite you: https://vimeo.com/86857546
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 19:41   #10

Boat: Lightwave 45

You may like to consider the recent model 5X for sale at 1.25 mill euro. It is fully equipped. As you say to buy a fully equipped 5X would be around U$2 mill.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 05:40   #11

Hi All

First of All thank you so much for your feedback and Suggestion .. and i will for sure take all things in ... and i truly hope i will have the option to see most of them at the LA GRANDE MOTTE in end of April

and i have gotten the Chance to get on the Outremer 5X in may which i¨m looking forward to .. and i hope after the Boat show i will have the 3 boats .. so i can rent each one for 10 days "if posible" so i can test them and get a good feel of them .. ..

But please keep on getting me input and i will look at those suggestion there were send to ..

and for my approach to things i look at it in this way

1 Allot of money to spend ..
2 will be my home for at least 4 year "properly more" so better spend the time to get it right
3 get input from those you have the knowledge i¨m a newbie when it comes to Catamarans

So once again Thanks and keep the information flowing ..

the more prepared i can be the better choices i can take
Old 29-03-2014, 06:20   #12

Boat: 45' CC ketch

It may br a good idea to take a look at Privileges at La Grande Motte too. 3 "PRIVILEGE" will be present :

° A Serie 4.9 just launched, in an owner version
° A Serie 5 just out of the factory, in a "Privilege" Classic version
° A Privilege 615 from 2011, lent by one of owners
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:34   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

As someone said already yr top list is made of quite different type of boats..
First of all you are saying 50 ft range but 5 X is almost 60 ft.. Secondly, it is much more oriented rather than comfort. Outremers suffers form payload a bit, but at this size it should be OK.

Saba hasn't floated yet. From the specs, it seems like a larger Helia. Probably she will sail OK (nothing comparable to 5 X..) she is very comfortable and cheaper of all three. If you plan to make circumnavigation the conventional way, it should be largely OK.

L 52 has had serious problems, both quality and performancewise. I would personally keep it out of list.

You may want to give a close look to Catana's. Not as fast as 5 X, but faster than Saba, very solid and reliable boat..Pricewise, it will be way expensive than Saba though. Be aware that you won't get the same space as Saba and has daggerboards like 5 X. That's a long debate but if you are not going to venture in high altitudes, fixed keels of Saba is the way to go.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:43   #14
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Look at the Salina 48, 1/3 of the cost and a true sailing cat...

PS written by a biased Salina owner
SVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 08:36   #15

Hi all

A Small update i can see only agree after much more reading the Outremer 5X is a fast runner and also it seems like the comfort ain´t as good even do its bigger size .. but based on suggestion from here i will for sure have a look at he Privilege 515 I a specially like the version called Suite Propriétaire

Tags
buying, catamaran