Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:02   #16

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: Cat sinks off Sunshine Coast QLD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wind View Post
Neither Double Island Point nor Cape Moreton have seen anything over 25kts during the last 48hrs according to the BOM database. The stronger winds in fact were well south. The swell has been small.
Yes, I was wondering where the snotty conditions could have come from, localised squall? The ocean the past 2 days has been like a millpond at the shore and very light or non existent winds.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Glad they got off ok!

Apropos another thread or two having a quick scan of their blog. Its the story of a three year circumnavigation... But mum and the kids have gotten off half way around and dad has continued on until he changes his mind and is off to sell the boat.
I didnt read the reasons for each of the decisions, though they may well be in the blog.

Point I am making is that cruising long range is difficult in many ways. Family turns out to be very important and when one part of the family (usually she) wants out, the other person and the boat can be a loooooong way from anywhere.

If this forum would make a subforum with all the boats lost, or needed rescue we could get a much better idea of the real problems at sea.
I have suggested it before, but its fallen on deaf ears.

As for this particular sinking... Wouldnt a popped thru hull be much more likely than loss of hull integrity?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:46   #18

A popped thru hull...one would think that would be a very rare occurrence, don't you think?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:13   #19

Boat: PETERSON 44

A poll my boat sank or I ditched because:
1) water poured in and we couldn't find the leek all 3 pumps couldn't keep up.
2) rudder stopped working.
3) ran out of water
4) ran out of beer
5) wife made me do it
6) I had a job interview
7) the hull cracked
8) I cracked
9) the head backed up
10) this isn't all it's cracked up to be. Get me off this thing.
Special thanks to Johnny Carson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:35   #20

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone.

That's a lot of cash sent down the drain.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:45   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
A popped thru hull...one would think that would be a very rare occurrence, don't you think?
Yes it would be. But if you think about falling off a wave and landing on solid water with throu hulls hitting, the force of water up them may pop the hose off one. I have had a few hose clamps fail... And the difficult thing is I didnt realise they had failed till I checked them with a screwdriver, and they broke in my hands.

But i guess they would have checked each of them when the flooding became apparent.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:13   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44

That would be a failed hose connection. Popped thru hull would be more like bad bedding or no thread getting to the sea cock. Or no sea cock and just hose going to a pos gate valve. All of which are not uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:30   #23

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Sad and glad they are ok, my 2 cents for a brasscrap truhull failing in the worst moment, we be in similar conditions 50 miles from La Coruna Spain years agoo in a Lagoon 380 Premium, 35 to 40 blowing and a confused sea , my first delivey in a small lagoon, first thing come to my mind is this boat is going to break in 2 , creaks , flexing , horrible sounds inside , but we made it to La coruna safe and sound, the 50 its a lot of catamarán for this conditions, most likely a hull fitting or even a saildrive , but who know?? NZ and AUS waters are tough..... its rough up there!!!!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:55   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Insurance total loss= way less than broker and import fees and waiting around to sell!
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57   #25

as I mentioned in another thread, a brand new 42 Alpha cat being delivered from NY to the Virgins was abandoned by owners and paid skipper due to rudder and engine failures in less than storm conditions.
I have been a proponent of "the boat is stronger than the crew" many times in the past. I have been rethinking this lately and wonder if it's good advice to newbies.
The sea is a cruel mistress for sure. Not forgiving. Looking back, other than my Cat, all my Bluewater boats have been robust strong designs; Rawson 30, Passport 47, Tanton 44, Hans Christian 38 and served me well.
Who am I to suggest that "sure you can go in a Beneteau"? Any of the boisterous, gnarly weather trips I made in my boats could have been a lot les successful if I had a light boat that the rig was coming loose on, or the keel bolts, or the poorly attached liner... etc. Maybe that's the only difference between me and those that are being rescued!
Sure anyone can try to go in ANYTHING. But it's like saying to a newbie mountaineer, "If you want to go into the mountain go rock climbing up a 500 foot wall, don't go hiking!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:05   #26
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I doubt we will ever get any more of a clear picture of what happened to this Lagoon. This again makes me wonder what the deal is with their "water tight" bulkheads. That really has to be the first line of defense to a major hull breach.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:08   #27
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Glad they all got off okay..
Must confess.. even though I'll deliver them they do make me nervous.. the creaks and slamming below can be horrendous in a rising sea (2m+) and I usually spend a stormy period wondering if I'm gonna come out the other side.. that's when I sit outside for a while.. in the relative peace and quiet of wind whistling through the rig and the noise of the sea..
But at the same time.. I do like them.. its sailing.. one puts up with the 5% terror for the 95% good times..
Totally Agree. The sound is unbelievable.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:37   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Glad they all got off okay..
Must confess.. even though I'll deliver them they do make me nervous.. the creaks and slamming below can be horrendous in a rising sea (2m+) and I usually spend a stormy period wondering if I'm gonna come out the other side.. that's when I sit outside for a while.. in the relative peace and quiet of wind whistling through the rig and the noise of the sea..
But at the same time.. I do like them.. its sailing.. one puts up with the 5% terror for the 95% good times..
At least you know the hull is still there......
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:06   #29

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

The sea is a cruel mistress for sure. Not forgiving. Looking back, other than my Cat, all my Bluewater boats have been robust strong designs; Rawson 30, Passport 47, Tanton 44, Hans Christian 38 and served me well.
What Cat (if I may ask?...) didn't make the offshore, bluewater grade in your extensive history of boat ownership.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by REsCat View Post
What Cat (if I may ask?...) didn't make the offshore, bluewater grade in your extensive history of boat ownership.

Bob
Didn't mean it wasn't Blue capable, I was commenting on the fact that my mono's have been pretty heavy duty... so who am I to suggest people can go in a light boat!
TPI Lagoon 42, no major crossing in it but some pretty rough stuff for limited periods of time and maybe up to 45 winds. No creaking, no obvious flexing, no feeling like things were moving around much etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote