Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2006, 09:46   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
The electric drive does seem to be a future trend.

The Catamaran Co. already have a few electric drives in charter service in the BVIs.

The Moorings first electric drive is currently in St. Lucia on its way to Tortola. Supposedly this is a test - if it works they plan to start using electric drives much more in the future.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 10:16   #17

This electric drive.

Will it be another hybred. Like you see in autos?

If not. Will this electric drive run on batteries. Or gen set, solar combo?

Anybody has any info on this?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 11:34   #18

Boat: New Bedford 35
electric drives

here's a little something to whet your appetite ... this one's on my "when I win the lottery" list.

http://www.solomontechnologies.com/m_m.htm
yaitsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2006, 12:05   #19

I'm impressed!!

Wow!! This could be the future for sailors?

That is impressive indeed. But, I bet the overhaul to convert over to this would cost around roughly $40,000 US to $100,000 US dollars?

But it looks very nice!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 18-02-2006, 12:07   #20

Glacier Bay's website also has a few good articles:

http://www.ossapowerlite.com/

And, over the past 2 years Nigel Calder has had a few good articles on the subject in Professional Boatbuilders.

Some of Fischer Panda's websites also have some information but their stuff doesn't seem to be very well organized yet. Although I do believe a Catalina-Morgan with one of their installations is at the Miami Boatshow.
Old 18-02-2006, 12:47   #21

Yeah.

Very nice systems.

And very costly!!

But, I'm sure that in time. When all the environmentalist have leaders in the White House. And in alot of high positions. We will all see more of this application, being put to use. More frequently?

Old 19-02-2006, 04:54   #22

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Hybrid power systems

I'm not so sure they are as good as some people say. You aren't going to produce enough electricity from solar or wind to produce the power required to drive the boat.

If you are crossing an ocean and have shaft generators then you will probably create enough for your domestic use but at the expense of large amounts of drag. If it is a charter boat going round the BVI with short distances and large domestic loads for refrigeration then you are going to be running your diesel generator big time. So why have the efficiency loss of burning diesel to create electricity to power electric motors instead of just using the diesel to turn the propellor direct?

Incidentally... There's been a big falling-out at Solomon between the techies and the money-men. The jury is definitely still out on this technology.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 09:12   #23

Most of the players, unlike Solomon, are going the diesel-electric approach.

Jeannius, check out the Glacier Bay and Professional Boatbuilder sites for some good articles that explain why the diesel-electric approach can be more efficient than just straight diesel.
Old 19-02-2006, 09:59   #24

Boat: Lagoon 400
Lagoon outfitted a 410 model with Solomon electric engines sometime in 2004. Since then they have re-designed the 410 into the 420 to work in the electric drive system. Placement of the batteries and motors, along with a change to straight shafts instead of saildrives, make the 420 an electric-only design.

I also understand that they have switched from the Solomon technology (Solomon is now involved in a lawsuit with Toyota and has run into financing issues) to a European design. Among other things, they had to reduce the voltage to 72v to satisfy safety regulations.

The system does use a generator to re-charge the batteries when they go below 80% charged. The only other charging system built into the boat at the factory is propeller recharging. I have to believe that you could provide some additional recharge using solar panels or a wind generator. Lagoon claims that when the boat is sailing at 5kts or over, the props will switch to recharging the batteries.

Here's a link for the Lagoon webpage for the boat:
http://
www.cata-lagoon.com/420_pres_uk.php#

It appears to be a workable system for conscientious cruisers who pay attention to their power consumption, but as I mentioned earlier, it remains to be seen how it works with charterers.

Charlie
cjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2006, 10:42   #25

I love the beautiful interiors, on the Lagoon's!!

I don't know much about the Lagoon's. But they do impressive for Catamaran's?

Old 19-02-2006, 10:56   #26

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Among other things, they had to reduce the voltage to 72v to satisfy safety regulations.
That doesnt make sense. If you reduce the voltage then you have to increase the amps in order to achieve the same power.

Its amps what kills, not volts.

I know of a 27 hp electric motor running at 150v DC for an underwater application. I was also looking at a MUCH more powerful engine also running underwater.

Somebody is being stupid!
Old 19-02-2006, 12:06   #27

Glacier Bay's systems start at 240VDC and go up from there depending on the HP required.

Solomon was at 144VDC for the 12HP motor and were going to 240VDC for their 20HP. After annoucing the 20HP 3 or 4 years ago I don't believe they have yet delivered on it.

I believe Fischer-Panda's installation start around 240VAC.

I agree, certainly on the surface, dropping the voltage does not seem to make sense.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:10   #28

It's such a damn shame. That as technologically advanced as we are, as human beings. Yet we have the power to destroy cities with one weapon.

Yet, cannot. Or will not provide the means for the perfect propulsion system, for a ecologically sound society?

I guess that's what happens when you have "fat cats" in DC running things?

Old 05-03-2006, 19:55   #29

Send a message via Yahoo to Carena
Tax on Boats

This a 5c on the topic. My friend who is selling his cat at the moment registered it in the Cook Islands in a company name. For selling it now all that happens is that the buyer buy the company. It is still the choice of the buyer if he wants to do this or a company in Panama. If you know of anyone interested in buying this cat that made the passage to NZ let me know. The boat is in NZ at the moment and they would like to sell. It is a great price seeing you don't have to wait 2 to 3 years to built and trial for all the mistakes you might have with the building of the boat.

Maybe that helps.

Cheers
Old 29-04-2006, 21:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCocha
Charlie,

You will also eventually find out that you may have to compromise and prioritize...and go back to the Lagoon 410..

Here is my one and only opinion. Lagoon is a great boat except for one huge item. The single worst anchoring mechanism known to mankind. Deploys from the middle of the bow through a tube. You can clean anchor or rode, if it tangles you are screwed. Brings the bottom up into your lockers (stinky, stanky). Gear takes a pounding continually. If (when!) it fails, how would you possibly fix it?
monaco is offline   Reply With Quote