Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 16:39   #1

BVI Charter - Voyage vs Lagoon

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. We are planning a bareboat trip to BVI's this coming spring. We have 5 couples. We are considering the Voyage 500 and the Lagoon 50. I am concerned about the accomodations of the 5th couple. The Voyage has a 5th birth which is reached thru the fore deck and the Lagoon has a 5th birth which are bunk beds and a head. Does anyone know about the ventilation in these cabins? Would you choose one boat over the other, if so, please explain. The Lagoon appears to be very roomy inside and out and I tend to lean toward this yacht but I'm not so sure about the bunk beds. Also, any information about handling is also appreciated.
renoroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 18:44   #2

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
I think they are both great picks for the BVI. The voyage boats pound more but you are in protected waters in the BVI so this should not be an issue.

The outdoor cockpit in the voyage will feel more open and get better breezes and that is where you will spend alot of time. The way they built the Lagoon the cockpit does not get good airflow and has a funky entrance from the port side.

The voyage boats are located in Sopers Hole which is a good starting and finishing point for your cruise.

If one boat is near new and the other is two-three years in charter I would choose the newer one for sure. Chartering is hard on boats. Also, check the service record of the charter company because a broken down boat during the middle of a charter is much worse than dealing with bunk beds or funky layout. Bottom line, as long as the one you choose runs well you are in for lots of fun.
Old 22-08-2008, 20:48   #3

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Not sure about the Voyage 50 Mayotte but we chartered a Voyage 440 one year in the BVI's and had 10 people onboard. There were two separate mini berths all the way forward that would fit one person each side - so not good for a 5th couple but perfect since they weren't a couple. All was great with the boat. No issues with slamming and the ventilation was awesome throughout the boat. The people were very friendly at Voyage Yacht Charters and I would highly recommend them.

Not sure if I'd wanna be the fifth couple in bunks with a (stinky) head in my berth. They would have to pay considerably less than the other four couples in my opinion. Does the dinette drop down in the saloon? Better than the bunk option - which could then be used for luggage, etc..
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 02:49   #4

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
We also chartered a Voyage 440 last year. The Voyage set up at Sopers Hole is second to none and the boats are beautifully prepared but for me I would go with the Lagoon. For chartering around the BVI the helm set up and space in the Lagoon would swing it for me.
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands