Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 00:25   #1

Boat: LAGOON 400
Boat trim

Boat was unusually fast, or maybe speedo crazy, but definitely more water noise than usual on this weekend 40nm trip. I did overtake larger than normal % share of boats, so wasnt dreaming.

One thing I have done is balance hulls as marine asked me to do that before putting boat on dry for new antifoul. Stern was more in water before, now everything straight.

Any experience, is this important for cats or I had glass too many this weekend ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:04   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Boat trim

Look at any racing video or talk to any racing skip. See where they put crew and materials in and on the boat. Boat trim makes a difference, it doesn't matter what kind of boat.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:34   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Look at any racing video or talk to any racing skip. See where they put crew and materials in and on the boat. Boat trim makes a difference, it doesn't matter what kind of boat.
you have point here. Had strong currents including eddies and speedo out of action, so numbers worthless, behaviour of water and sound were only true measures. And definitely noisier and water on bow getting higher than normal, in pretty low app wind numbers.

Boat felt runny...

Hu, I really managed to gain couple of 0.1 kn's of speed in any direction
Old 06-03-2016, 03:54   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

If I fill fuel tank (weight aft), I find filling the water tanks (weight forward) at the same time provides significant better performance.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:26   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Yes Sir, trim AKA proper weight placement makes a Huge difference in both boat; speed, & motion. Especially when it's light.
And you can steer most any boat which has it's sails well trimmed, by using weight placement alone. And showing folks this when I'm teaching (formally, & otherwise) definitely makes a few jaws drop.
Particularly when, I'll tie off the rudder on centerline, & then move weight (bodies) around to show'em that a boat can even be steered this way. And then I'll make them figure out how to steer a boat this way, sans instruction.

It's a good tool, & Definitely helps people in developing a better sense of feel for the boat. Especially where as they learn how to sense much better, when the boat is out of tune, why, & the various options available to correct it.
And it's also why IMOCA (OPEN) 60's (amongst others) have fore & aft water ballast tanks, as well as the standard ones on the boat's hull sides, for increasing righting moment.

So then, if you think about weight placement from a different angle. If you have much weight in the wrong place, onboard, then you're causing excess drag, & improper trim for that boat. As well as having to compensate for the weight imbalances (boat trim), via using the rudder.
Which, any & everytime you use the helm, it's acting as a "brake" to some degree. As there's a big drag component to steering, in addition to the lift which the rudder generates.

Done right, balancing out the boat can give you easily 1/4 - 1/2kt of boatspeed, especially when it's light. And decent gains when there's a breeze too. In addition to increasing the comfort levels on the boat, when done right.
Plus, it lowers the need for sail trimming, which keeps the boat powered up better, etc., etc.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 13:40   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
Boat was unusually fast, or maybe speedo crazy, but definitely more water noise than usual on this weekend 40nm trip. I did overtake larger than normal % share of boats, so wasnt dreaming.

One thing I have done is balance hulls as marine asked me to do that before putting boat on dry for new antifoul. Stern was more in water before, now everything straight.

Any experience, is this important for cats or I had glass too many this weekend ?
Trim is really important, weight placement can affect things dramatically, but the new antifoul might have something to do with it?

Uncivilized's post above is spot on, I also taught new owners how to steer a cat with sail trim. Ari Vatenen (*) once said that the key to going quick is to not brake. As Mr Uncivilized said, using the rudder is like applying the brakes.

* Rally Driver - see his exploits here
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 14:18   #7
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

I don't believe you. I think that you should take me out sailing so I can see this for myself and report back to the forum objectively...

I'll bring beer
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Trim is really important, weight placement can affect things dramatically, but the new antifoul might have something to do with it?

Uncivilized's post above is spot on, I also taught new owners how to steer a cat with sail trim. Ari Vatenen (*) once said that the key to going quick is to not brake. As Mr Uncivilized said, using the rudder is like applying the brakes.

* Rally Driver - see his exploits here
thanks, see your point, will practice what you say and see how it goes.

Boat is still waiting for place in marina so antifoul still old and not the reason.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I don't believe you. I think that you should take me out sailing so I can see this for myself and report back to the forum objectively...

I'll bring beer
yeah, one day, when I get schioning, when get sick of fat & slow cat.
Old 07-03-2016, 04:50   #10
cruiser

Quote:
yeah, one day, when I get schioning, when get sick of fat & slow cat.
I hope you dont think I was criticising your boat? Is my angling for a sail on a multi not transparent enough?

I can bring rum instead of beer?

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 07-03-2016, 13:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
I hope you dont think I was criticising your boat? Is my angling for a sail on a multi not transparent enough?

I can bring rum instead of beer?

Sent from my SM-T520 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
that is lovely, however going rate in sydney for this type of boat is around $600 ph, min 4 hours.
Old 07-03-2016, 13:43   #12
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

tp12,
I like Havana Club - 12 year.
Let me know when your in the Dodecanese :-)
Old 07-03-2016, 14:12   #13
cruiser

Quote:
that is lovely, however going rate in sydney for this type of boat is around $600 ph, min 4 hours.
Umm, ok. It was meant as light hearted, I'm sorry if you took it any other way.
Old 07-03-2016, 14:14   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
tp12,
I like Havana Club - 12 year.
Let me know when your in the Dodecanese :-)
Havana Club it is. Although I need a nostalgia trip while I'm there so will have a bottle of 7 star Metaxa as well. I'm sure we'll make do

I'm booked up now and collect the boat from Rhodes Sept 10.

Wooooohooooooo!