Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 15:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393
Beer?????

ok, I am wondering if any one has a "beer" portion inthe sailing Kittty? It is currently 103 degrees outside and after being in the sun for a few hours the only thing that sounds good is an ice cold beer. So my mind starts running about when I am getting the boat loaded for our first voyage do I just bring beer on the boat and find a way to pack it that is even on the weight? Or do I only pack enough for a few weeks supply and buy beer at our next destination or do I learn how to make beer or do I switch to rum????
got seashells? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 15:56   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Beer?????

Tricky Tricky decisions, could degenerate into a gun thread

Dave
Old 14-07-2012, 15:57   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

Quote:
or do I learn how to make beer or do I switch to rum???? or do I learn how to make beer or do I switch to rum????
Making "cold" is harder than buying beer. When you have to drink wam beer the rum tastes better.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:06   #4

Boat: Ericon 381

I'd say it depends on where you're cruising to!

I'm getting quite fond of a "Bob Smith" (rum and water) no matter what temperature. Rum stores better and lasts longer too.

www.AsISeaIt.com
McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:11   #5

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I drink rum on the boat and beer on shore, except for when i don't.
Warm beer does not bother me.
A large portion of my money goes to the rumshops.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:28   #6

Boat: Herreshoff H36 12.8m

I started cruising in 1972 and after being ripped off by resorts and hotels I decided to learn home brew. I have progressed to the stage that my beer is preferred to the store brought product. It costs me 65 cents per 750ml bottle. Two bottles in the fridge dose'nt take up much room & the joy of a cold beer after anchoring is hard to beat. The biggest drag is the bottling.
Ray Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 16:58   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by got seashells?
Or do I only pack enough for a few weeks supply and buy beer at our next destination or do I learn how to make beer or do I switch to rum????
It all depends on the destination. In some of Caribbean states, beer is more precious than champaign, but rum is cheaper than soda pop. In places like Mexico, you'd have to look really hard to find a village where beer wasn't sold.

One of the great things about the cruising life is that someone with an open mind can quickly develop a taste for the local concoction. I've experienced this with Slivovitz in Slovakia, with Compari in Italy, with Sherry in England, with Lahproaig in Scotland, and of course with standbys such as tequila in Mexico or rum in the Caribbean.

The important point here is not to decide you don't like something after the first sip. I crewed for a buddy in Baja for a couple of weeks and all he had aboard was Modelo Especial. Boy, did I complain, but only for the first week. Now, the first beer I order in Mexico is a Modelo.
Old 14-07-2012, 17:33   #8

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

I like a cold beer on Liberty too, but I'm too cheap, I mean frugal, to pay much for it. Depends on where you are for rum vs. beer. Bahamas - rum is cheap, beer is really expensive. Dominican Republic - oh, to have more cold Presidente on board. Practically cheaper than clean water. Was told to stock up on beer before leaving the DR, but did I? Nooo. Got to Puerto Rico and found out it really is a rum country, er, commonwealth, er, protectorate, er, not sure what, but their beer is expensive (and worse, comes in 10 oz cans!). Actually, I don't recall inexpensive, good beer between the DR and Grenada, where it also comes in little 10 oz bottles. At least its 3 for 10 (EC, that is, so 3 for about $4 US) at happy hour.

Since I used to homebrew before cruising, I bought a couple of kits and now I brew my own in a 6 gallon plastic water jug (which holds water when not holding fermenting beer). I bottle it in recycled plastic soda/tonic/etc. bottles. just gotta make sure they are pressure bottles. It secondary fermets in the bilge, and a month later, tastes great.

and we drink a fair amount of rum.
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 18:06   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Making "cold" is harder than buying beer. When you have to drink wam beer the rum tastes better.
... Which either means you don't really like beer, or you haven't found the right beer.

When I was a college kid, 30 years ago, the notion of warm beer would have been unthinkable. Now, I know a number of brews that are very enjoyable warm... just not as cold.

But warm Red Stripe isn't appealing, so I get the point.

----

And why is this a multihull thread?
Old 14-07-2012, 18:40   #10

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce smith View Post
Warm beer does not bother me.
Does your conscience bother you . . .
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 20:19   #11

Here's the deal fill your toilet full of OJ than add a 1/2 bag of sugar. 2 slices of bread and cover with a trash bag for a week.un cover then ladle out your prison wine and have a party!
MasterMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 20:30   #12

I'm a huge fan of beer, but I like to have maybe one every day or two. Contrary to popular thought, beer does not get skunked by chilling/thawing/chilling. Only sunlight skunks beer.

Keep them in the bilge or anywhere else out of the sunlight, that's really what screws them up (if they're bottled, that's why most beer is bottled in dark glass).

Keep one or two in the fridge to stay cool. If you drink more than that, I don't know what you can do about it. But remembering to put a beer in the fridge every day or so isn't too much of a tall order.

Edit:

I have an Engel and even in remarkably hot temperatures it will keep quite cold. Bump the knob past 2 (it goes to 5) and it will freeze all the contents.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 20:35   #13

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I've had good luck brewing my own beer (actually stouts or porters which travel and keep better). I keep the bottles in the bilge where they stay at least cool, albiet not ice cold.
Old 14-07-2012, 20:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I've had good luck brewing my own beer (actually stouts or porters which travel and keep better). I keep the bottles in the bilge where they stay at least cool, albiet not ice cold.
Do you have an onboard kit you're using? My friend brews a lot of beer for us here in San Diego and was trying to convince me to brew my own. It's so much cheaper and the the first batch basically pays for all the materials (compared to buying it all).

I'm a big ipa and stout guy. There's an ipa here in San Diego (ballast point's sculpin) that everyone in the world needs to try before they pass from this realm of existence.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2012, 20:41   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
... And why is this a multihull thread?
One hull for beer and one hull for rum. Sheesch.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Beer