Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2012, 19:18   #196

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Beau's Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau View Post
Sorry Dave I don't have a link, just go to centrelink.
My payments were cut off without notice. I flew back to Darwin to sort it out and was told of the "new" rules for disability pensions, I do not know about other pensions.
It definitely stuffed up my plans, pretty rude if you ask me, but I was told (with a smirk on the face of centrelink staff) that there was nothing I could do about it.
Just found them, what a bunch of pratts.
How Long Can My Pension Be Paid While I Am Absent Australia
Australia's International Social Security Agreements

I can got to just about anywhere else and still get it but I cant get in the places that I want to go.
What difference does it make to these idiots where I am?
I would not be in Australia being a drain on increasingly stressed health care services here.

Thats pretty disappointing Beau, but 13 weeks, maybe Darwin as a "Home" base and 13 weeks in Indonesia, dump boat in Bali and back on cheap jetstar flights, sign paper and back to Bali?

I'm sure you have already looked at this though.
Old 07-04-2012, 19:19   #197

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

There must be a time limit that you can leave the country? can you live in a private P.O Box most have street address.
Talk about wrecking your dreams but why take it back to QLD why not Darwin then WA ect?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 20:03   #198

I was aware of the 13 week limit, but they track you when you exit through immigration when you leave the country whether by boat or flying.
If you do it more than once they "decide" you are not really living in Australia, and cut you off. No comeback.

Apparantly a pension is seen by the system as a priviliage and not a right. I was told, for example, if I was to abuse centrelink staff (which I did not do) I could also be cut off, permantly.
They are doing everything they can to make life difficult for us.

I was told by centrelink that they are targeting the Australians pedophiles living in Thailand and we are just caught up in the new rules. "yeah right"

It looks like my cruising dreams outside of Australia have ended.
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 00:28   #199
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Gordmay
It is not that simple.
As I said earlier there are two factors at work with speed and "overloaded" multihulls. Increased Wetted surface and Bow wave formation.
The friction formed with wetted surface is linear and follows the principle of "to double your speed reguires four times the power"

The drag caused by bow wave formation jumps 10 times as you get beyond displacement speed.
What I am suggesting is, it is the dramatic change in hull form in mutihulls when overloaded that causes a dramatic increase in drag caused by bow wave formation at speed, and not so much wetted surface drag.

With this knowledge it is possible to design multihulls that "can" carry extra weight which has little affect on performance other than the "small" increase in drag caused by extra wetted surface.
Sweet so your design is hardly affected by extra weight?

Quote:
As I have said earlier the boat is a work in progress.
With two 90 hp tohatsu's I can do 17 knots but use considerable fuel.
The design was built by professional boat builders and came in at twice the estimated weight.(plus liveaboard items)
I am still working on the fuel consumption bit, however I chose petrol outboards because they are much lighter and considerably cheaper than diesels and the props could be lifted clear of the water when I beach, which is often.
I intend to motor sail most of the time for economic reasons.
Correct me if I am wrong but weren't you the designer and so are responsible for the weight of the boat? Plus I thought your revolutionary design is only subject to a minor increase in drag due to a bit of extra WSA when overloaded anyway?

Quote:
I do think the basic design which has NO CURVES, has a lot to do with it.
I do not believe in curves on a performance boat, all they do is create friction at speed
Quote:
I was hoping to get some comment on my argument as to why overloaded multihulls are so slow.
Why are you all so shy?
I would love for someone to prove me wrong?
Come on, HelloSailor where are you when I need you
So would you build this project again if you had the chance or would you used curved hulls next time? Even my very conventional 40 foot monohull sail boat gets around 3 times better economy @ 5K than your boat does @ 4.5K with the 10hp outboard. It wont go over 8.5K thought since its a displacement boat, but put 2 x 90hp on a sail cat like 44c's and I am sure it will go well over 20K.

Thats a huge bummer about your pension Our gov polices make no sense sometimes. I cant see why they would want to punish citizens who have earned their right to retire after a lifetime of work and paying tax. Shame on them.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 12:29   #200

Boat: Tartan 40
Hi Beau-

Are you cruising around Australia now? Hope all is well with the boat
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 00:28   #201

Hi, After cruising to Northern Indonesia and having the boat put into a 40 ft container for a return trip to Brisbane.
I now have a medical problem which means my cruising days are over. The boat is on the hard and up for sale at a very much reduced price.
The boat performed well, it was great having the shallow draft in Indonesia. A great adventure, the locals in Irian Jaja were not always friendly however the Indonesias were great.We had very little wind so we motored most of the time, fuel was 50 cents a litre
Regards,
Beau Lyons
Old 02-08-2014, 01:27   #202
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Beau - Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I will admit I was one of the early skeptics on your boat and its proposed performance. So it didn't get the performance you talked about early on. So what?

You did design, build and steam this boat to Asia. And as per plan it fit in a box for the ride home! Well done!

There are many on CF who will never get past the dream stage!

Just the idea of a boat you can sail to a destination, box up and ship easily is something to think about - lower the sights on performance claims, maybe make it a motor cruiser with inboard fuel efficient diesels (I don't know) but the idea that you no longer have to be a passage maker to cruise in several really cool places is an idea with merit.
All the best wishes for your health issues.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 14:06   #203

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Yes, Beau, sorry to hear that your cruising days are over, but glad that you were able to realise some of your dreams.

Your ideas on hull design still inspire me and one day I'd like to put some of them into practice.

Best wishes

Chris
Octopus, Lagoon 420 Hybrid
Figueira Da Foz, Portugal
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 10:13   #204

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Incredible journey Beau!!
I read the whole enchilada for the past two days.. and you inspired some thinking on my mind about cruising..
Sorry adventure come to end on this way but well.. you did a lot my friend!!
Much more than a lot of guy I know with big dreams and just that.. dreams..
You find a way, your way and was good for you.. regards..
I gain my respect..
Thanks you for share your journey, your toughs and your design..
I'm sure you inspire a lot of people around..
Thanks again.. God bless you...
Old 11-05-2016, 17:17   #205

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Looks like the USN took design notes from Beau: DARPA christens its anti-submarine drone ship 'Sea Hunter'
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 18:20   #206

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

This is one of the most profound threads in this forum.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 22:00   #207

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Looks like the USN took design notes from Beau: DARPA christens its anti-submarine drone ship 'Sea Hunter'
Looking at the bow wave in the YouTube footage youtu.be/3lHiiepoZIE you've got to wonder whether a cat wouldn't be more efficient than a tri
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 16:35   #208

The boat is stored on the hard and still for sale "cheap"
Looking back, it was definitely and adventure, no keelboat could have gone where we went, and cruising at night is definitely out.

The West Papua part scared the hell out of me (very sharp machetes)
The Indonesians authorities could not have been more helpful. We were put off by the supposedly cheap petrol, but it is subsidized by the Indonesians and not available to foreigner's. We got ours from the local police at a slightly higher price.

The boat handled the conditions very well, including a couple of storms and going aground on coral reefs. Being able to get into shallow creeks was a godsend to escape the cannibal natives.