Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 11:32   #31

Re: Anyone carry a motorcycle or moped on board?

I'm a bike nut as well as boats so I'm up on bike related stuff, not much into the small stuff but here goes a few of my top picks for bikes on boats.

Motopeds - down right cool, super light, cheap can be dismantled and stored and the motors are based around the Honda 50 which are available anywhere. There is a large aftermarket for these engines and can get some decent HP. plus easy 100mpg

Kawasaki KLS250S - reasonably light, very reliable and big enough to take off for days on end and explore.

KTM 350 exc - Light and fast but is a street legal off road bike. Would be my first pick for Baja.

CCM - GP450 Is the new kid on the block which at 130Kg looks to be the ultimate adventure bike. Put the boat on the hard and take off on the bike and explore in the off season.

Zero SR - Expensive yes, but hey don't you already have enough stuff to maintain? with this bike the only things you need to maintain are the brakes,tires and drive belt. Pretty amazing bike, check it out.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 20:15   #32

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
You can't be in Australia then as most states consider them motorcycles. Victorian laws ensure a fine of over AUD$800.
A 49cc scooter in Queensland can be ridden on a car licence. Most cruisers visiting Australia are likely to spend their time in that region.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 02:19   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
A 49cc scooter in Queensland can be ridden on a car licence. Most cruisers visiting Australia are likely to spend their time in that region.
But they still require local registration and that, not your driving licence, is the big problem with trying to use them when cruising. You can drive/ride on a foreign licence, but you can't operate a road vehicle which has a foreign registration.:

"For the purposes of the road rules, mopeds are treated exactly the same as motorcycles.

A moped is defined as a motorcycle with a motor of 50 millilitres (ml) capacity or less and with a manufacturers top rated speed of 50 kilometres per hour (km/h).

A moped that complies with the Australian Design Rules must be registered as a motorcycle.

If a vehicle of this kind has an engine capacity of over 50 ml or if the manufacturers top rated speed is over 50 km/h then the vehicle is classed as a motorcycle not a moped."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 07:40   #34

Boat: Freydis 49

Love the airwheel, this is my transport, turn the engine off and its a push bike, even in Qld.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolbike.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	83547  
Old 22-06-2014, 08:11   #35

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I would love to get my Blackbird on board my cat, But there just isnt any room, and its as heavy as,
A small bike just isnt my cup of tea,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 11:25   #36

Boat: jeps got it
Send a message via Skype™ to mikethedane

Hi Mr B

What kind of Cat do you have ?
Old 22-06-2014, 12:31   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Much like carrying a gun it is going to be extremely dependent on which country you reach. In Jamaica for instance you can bring anything in and use it with a US license plate for 60 days. But you have to post a security bond equal to the import duty on anything with an engine. The bond for a scooter or motorcycle (basically two wheels and motorized) is going to be 120% of its new purchase price. The bond is refundable when you leave the country with it. And it takes about 6 months to get the bond refunded.

The Bahamas as I understand it are not nearly as big an issue, and anything that looks like a bicycle you can probably get away with, at least for a while.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 14:12   #38

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Anyone Carry a Motorcycle or Moped on Board?

I LOVE this idea!! I have a 50cc Hot pink scooter (I got that color thinking it would be MINE because my husband wouldn't DARE drive around on a hot pink scooter.. WRONG!!). And, yes... there are modifications that you can make to them that increase the power and speed that aren't necessarily street legal...

I would love to take it with us. My concern is more about how you would keep it from falling over when the boat rocks and moves. I'd hate to have anything happen to it... do you have any idea how HARD it is to find a scooter in HOT PINK?!?!?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 14:21   #39

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I think I have our problems solved...
http://www.oddman.ca/wp-content/uplo...2/32031213.jpg
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 15:30   #40

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedane View Post
Hi Mr B

What kind of Cat do you have ?
34 foot Gemini, 105MC, USA built, I bought it in Fiji and sailed it back to OZ, Single handed,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 16:25   #41

I would love to take it with us. My concern is more about how you would keep it from falling over when the boat rocks and moves. I'd hate to have anything happen to it... do you have any idea how HARD it is to find a scooter in HOT PINK?!?!? [/QUOTE]

That's why I think the Motopeds would be ideal, dismantle and store when not needed and just rent something bigger when the need arises.
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 20:50   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacey16 View Post
Love the airwheel, this is my transport, turn the engine off and its a push bike, even in Qld.
No it's not. Anything "fitted" with any ICE or an electric motor over 200W is a motor vehicle and has to be registered in Qld.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2014, 21:15   #43

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic

Suzuki FA50 that is getting a bit rusty, but gets around. Currently limited to US East coast, so the Rhode Island plate hasn't been a problem.
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 06:54   #44

I watched that solowheel girl with my mouth open, couldn't believe what I was seeing! I've been on the segeway, but never knew of a unicycle thingy, that's amazing! I want one, I may never walk again to the fridge.....

Nick, I had similar plans but with a larger bike, a 650 Honda Transalp, about 340#s I believe. I did a bit of research, planning, asking questions in boat design forums, etc.

For me it was for the Great Loop, license, insurance not an issue.

An N/A told me it would change the CG of a boat (didn't even know how big my boat was going to be) then said it would roll around and be a hazard on deck, it would rust in two weeks and I'd never get out of the mud or off a beach, not allowed to ride on a beach.

So, this thread is refreshing, but granted my desire was for a larger bike, the difference from your 350/450 less than 100 pounds.

I don't see it being much different than a fat guy passed out tied on deck. Most of the weight is less than 20" high, 16" wide, just over 7' long.

I could go through what I considered for my needs but seems like storage is the issue at least on a 28-32 footer, so far there isn't a mention of your boat, unless I missed it.

I suggest you just do it, use a boom to swing it off and on board. I'd need anchoring points to tie it my thing down, yours may be easier to secure.

A drop down motor on the rear wheel of you mountain bike might be a good solution, not as fast, range/time limited, but less trouble for sure. I use to pack a hell of a lot on my bicycle and wear a back pack. You can put that in a canoe, I pulled an old canoe on a dolly as a kid.

To my solutions.....

The need wasn't about just getting around to the store but to travel, leave the boat moored and take off a few days and come back.

A 450 might be big enough for the road, depends on your size, for me a 650 is highway worthy, (the transalp is touring worthy).

You-tube has some guy was going down rivers in Vietnam with a bike on a raft!
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 08:06   #45

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Before I used to actually cruise anywhere I though about this alot. Now that I cruise several weeks a year I find I'd rather just walk to a nearby store or do without, and remember it next time. There is a funny story about forgetting pots and pans the first week out for the summer and cooking everything in soup cans on the grille! I even made the can tops into little handles with a pair of pliers.

Anyways, for me if I really really wanted to bring a motorcycle. I'd look at the Honda Trail 70's or 90's. The 70's weigh about 180lbs will do about 35-40mph on the flat and get about 120mpg at 25mph. The handle bars fold down and they have tiny tires so they are low to the ground. The 90's weigh 200lbs on the other hand will do 55mph pretty easily get 125mpg at 25mph and have a range of over 250miles with the spare fuel tank option. The handles swivel sideways (meant for easy carrying on the front of a motor home) but helps with storage. The 90 also has good luggage rack on back and there is one you can get for the front. They have a dual range transmission so plenty of grunt for off roading too! Anyways that's what I would pick if I really wanted to bring one with. Otherwise a bicycle will do wonders.

Tags
motor