Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 07:46   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Any issues with this custom catamaran for circumnavigation?

What I find funny, is a lot of the people that have no use and can't understand why someone would own a plywood/cold molded catamaran, are floating around in a mass produced balsa cored catamaran.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 10:43   #17

I have more then 300,000 ocean miles in multihulls, including 9 Pacific crossings and 4 journeys from Europe to downunder. I would be happy with this cat, a lot happier with it then a stock Lagoon or FP etc.
In my experience, the outboards are a plus, particularly on an easily driven cat that actually sails.
The ply epoxy construction, if sound, is a good option too. The end result is often a much stronger, lighter boat then is achieved by stock, mass produced, cat builders. Have it checked by a surveyor of course.
Another commentator here has advised the purchase and fitting of a watermaker, I agree as it will help to keep weight down.
Keeping it light is a good idea, and not difficult even for a family. The enemy of multihulls comes from within in the form of polar moments and excess weight, thus the outrageous maintenance costs of many stock catamarans.
Keep it simple and enjoy.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:45   #18

Boat: Mashford Claris
Wink Re: Any issues with this custom catamaran for circumnavigation?

Accommodation seems a bit light on 2 kids in one bed ain't gunna work other than that cost of petrol is pretty high in some of the more remote places take it for a test overnight and see how you go or even an overnight stay on it in a marina will give you an idea of living arrangements
takeabow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:47   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
What I find funny, is a lot of the people that have no use and can't understand why someone would own a plywood/cold molded catamaran, are floating around in a mass produced balsa cored catamaran.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I agree, but I do note that Andrew Grace's boat is NOT balsa, she is foam glass and Vinylester Resins
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 11:58   #20

Looks good. Get the owners to take you for a sail, maybe out for a weekend and see what you think.

My only real concern is the Coursemaster autopilot. I had one of those. Wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:06   #21

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Many mono people don't get outboards but they are a real asset. They are beautifully engineered from the motor to the drive train and nowadays are incredibly reliable. As to petrol - everyone carries petrol. Monos need to be worried about petrol as the fumes can make their way down to the bilge where an errant spark can blow up the whole boat. Cats don't have that problem. The bridgedeck is a huge flat volume which is filled with lockers that can vent straight to the water. You can design it so there is zero chance of fumes getting below. As for fuel consumption - just two days ago we had to motor about 20 miles with our 25hp Yammie - used about 10 -12 litres at 6 knots. At that speed we make almost no waves and all the fuel pushes us forwards. Go at 7 and the consumption goes up as we make waves.

As for ply - Aargh. It is a great material as long as it is built well. Foam can delaminate, glass gets osmosis, ply can rot, balsa gets mushy. Nothing is perfect. If a ply boat is built by a good builder it can be very good. Look for poorly bedded fittings and check that the epoxy saturation is nice and thick.
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:11   #22

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran

Pursoc - I sent you a PM
catsketcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 12:31   #23
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I agree, but I do note that Andrew Grace's boat is NOT balsa, she is foam glass and Vinylester Resins

Yes, and one of my favorite boats!
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 14:29   #24

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.

Hi. I'm in Sydney and I've been watching this vessel for myself. I have not made inquiries of the owners. I am now not able to purchase a having bought my family home in a divorce situation. She looks looks like the sweetest Cat in Oz to me over 2 years of watching. I'm a single guy looking to cruise OZ, Asia and Eastern Pacific. I would start local and focus on voyage planning and sail power to save on fuel consumption. Please stay in touch/PM and let me know how you go. I can assist. Cheers.
Old 19-01-2017, 14:45   #25

Boat: Dufour Nautitech435/FP Venezia42/Baltec Visiona 40/Catalac 10m used as a river cruiser

The Cat looks good. I write build of glassfiber covered plywood, si so far is ok if it is epoxy and not Polyester.

I would engage a reputable surveyor to survey her as multihulls need to be strong because of the stress from the waves. So he will look if the beams are
of a reliable design and reliable connecte to the hulls. What I have seen on two cumstom built catamarans (built by the owners) was tha construction of the floor of the nacelle was not strong enough ending with damaged connection to the hulls and even the bulkheads.

Sailing long distances with a family means that you have to look that your wife and the children are happy aboard your vessel. In my opinion a porta potty may be ok for a weekend but that is my opinion and not that of my wife who is with me nearly thirty years.

That people has done circumnavigations without a reasonable bathroom is well known but not evry one can sail like Shane Acton on his Shrimpy.

The Cat looks like to be mostly used to sail the Whitsundays but not for short trips. If you like to sail long distance you will find out that she is in need of some investment. But that you may do after you earned some experience with this cat, provided that she is seaworthy crafted.

Good luck
James
onavegador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 15:16   #26

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Locks good to me if you have the experience,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 16:43   #27

Boat: Simpson 12

Thanks everyone for you opinions and very good advice... and for keeping inboard/outboard discussion to a minimum

So, in summary, some things to think about:

- Weight for family and large payload for longer passages
- The porta potty
- Kids room/s
- Enough storage
- Not enough water and no watermaker
- Unknown design/build so extra careful on survey of structure especially the bridge deck

Did I miss anything?

Just to compare, here is another custom built cat for sale based on the easy design, though modified somewhat. The photos look pretty old so can't really compare the state of the internals, but it's a good comparison all the same.

What do you think?
fursoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 19:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fursoc View Post
Did I miss anything?
Yes. If you plan any passages of any length, replace the autopilot. I'd suggest Simrad, but there are other very good units. The one currently fitted is not.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 22:10   #29

Boat: Fusion 40

Hi Mate

pm me
Bob the builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 01:57   #30

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

What I don't like on both boats is that the bunks a located forward. I have also custom cat (Tennant designe). If the goal is a circumnavigation with a long run,it could be problematic to rest in forward bunks sailing,when it get rough.
On my boat, the crew,kids,guests who's got assigned bunks in the proa cabin,trying to move to a saloon area. No problem sleeping at the aft cabins, same time. Same problem with a mono - delivering Oceanis 41 from Les Sables d'Olonne...forward cabin was unhabitable,visited only for separate head...when the swell is 3-4 meters and 20+knot blowes. Same on my mono motorsailer,jumpiing on Ladoga swell - no one likes proa bunk.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, circumnavigation, navigation