Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 10:10   #106

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
You guys have me concerned. My wife and I are headed out west to see a few broker listed boats. We have been in contact with a broker who is listing one of the boats in question. He seems on top of stuff but that's based on a few calls and e-mails.
What specific questions should we ask any broker prior to using them on a serious transaction such as a cruising boat?
A couple come to mind:
How long have you been in business?
Can you provide a list of recent transactions?

And additionally can anybody recommend a surveyor in the San Francisco bay area?
A good Surveyor in the SF bay area that I know of is Joe Rogers. But there are probably many more. As far as Brokers, it's a 50/50 deal as I see it. I have had good ones and bad. If you make an offer. Read the paperwork you are signing. Most ask for a 10% down. Read what the stipulations are if you want to get that back. Most importantly, if you do a survey and the boat needs work from a yard. GET AN ESTIMATE!!! Do not pay for the boat until you do this. My fiend just bought a Catalina 38 for $24,000 and the yard told him the repairs were $11,000. He owned it for 2 days and now has it back on the market.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:13   #107

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Why dont you stick his name up here so people may get a warning?
The business was Bay Watch Yachts out of Port Washington, NY.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 06:30   #108

Boat: (Sold 2018) 47' Alwoplast Crowther Catamaran
My advice to anyone buying a boat is to always employ a BUYERS Broker. Why pay a listing agent that 50% of the commission since in reality he represents the seller, not you. It costs the exact same amount to have someone in YOUR court. A good buyers broker will steer you away from the exact same boat that the listing broker will steer you toward. Another advantage. Listing Brokers will not usually treat other brokers like they will a rube off the street. Call it professional courtesy. Call it self serving interest or the fear of an industry board complaint-they just don't. I can't say for certain (since I have never worked with an uncertified broker) but I suspect there is a big difference in certified and uncertified brokers.
Sailor Vee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat broker