Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 02:45   #31

Re: 784 miles in 24hrs, Single handed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A second thought: when will a 1000 mile daily run become possible?

b.
Fully crewed boats are getting close. Banque Populaire did 908 miles in 2009. Just a hair under 38 knots average...

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:51   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Amazing! Awesome! UFB!

Just imagine how good it must feel to go this fast, in such a boat.

Bravo Francois!
Yes, he seems to be a pretty decent sailor. Also holds the single handed 24 hour record for monohulls. 534 miles.

John McEnroe
Old 09-08-2016, 03:05   #33

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep, twice, he could have cracked the 1000 miles if he wasn't spending all his time turning the boat over on his own.
I'd like to see this exersise - putting this apparatus back on kiel,solo...How it's possible ? Opening the sail to the wind ? Similar to windsurf ?
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 04:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARGESOL View Post
I'd like to see this exersise - putting this apparatus back on kiel,solo...How it's possible ? Opening the sail to the wind ? Similar to windsurf ?
They wait for a monohull to come by and give them a hand
JBBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:24   #35

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
The emerging problem for these boats setting distance records is they outrun the weather systems and run out of puff.
Pretty phenomenal.
As I posted earlier when Bank Pop set their record Pyeron thanked the crew back in France who monitored weather for planning a route that allowed him to take the best advantage of weather systems. I suspect for a solo sailor it would be even more important to play the systems so the sailor was at his best when winds were highest and run away when the skipper needed a little cat nap.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 19:06   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Fully crewed boats are getting close. Banque Populaire did 908 miles in 2009. Just a hair under 38 knots average...
It is just possible the BP could break the 1,000nm barrier, but that's an increase to 41.66kn average. About a 10% gain over the current record. Possible but doubtful.

The boat that really had an honest shot without needing a once in a century type of weather would have been L'Hydroptere but she ran out of money just as the boat was setting out to actually break some records. to my knowledge no other full foiling offshore boat has ever hit the water. But short of going even larger I have doubts it's realistic to break 1,000nm.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 21:06   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBNE View Post
They wait for a monohull to come by and give them a hand

They'd be waiting a long time...

John McEnroe
Old 10-08-2016, 12:31   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
It is just possible the BP could break the 1,000nm barrier, but that's an increase to 41.66kn average. About a 10% gain over the current record. Possible but doubtful.

The boat that really had an honest shot without needing a once in a century type of weather would have been L'Hydroptere but she ran out of money just as the boat was setting out to actually break some records. to my knowledge no other full foiling offshore boat has ever hit the water. But short of going even larger I have doubts it's realistic to break 1,000nm.
Not sure I agree with the "once in a century type weather" needed to set the record.

But this may be related to my lack of knowledge about what is needed to set a 24 hour record. Back in the day I sailed/raced sailboards which were far and away the fastest sailboats. But all those records were only set in very specific locations; and at rather specific times. I had sailed my rather stock short board in the bands of a hurricane that passed close to NW Florida and a FPH officer used his jug gun to time me at 31MPH the fastest I ever sailed. The pros setting records twice as fast (55+ knots)as I was going were doing it off the coast of Africa using constant Mistral winds blowing over small sandbars exposed at low tide to keep the chop down over a measured course. None of this was once in a century type weather.

There are instances when Bank Pop has exceeded 41 knots for periods of time in the right weather and sea conditions. What I am not sure about is what is required for a 24 hour record. Does it have to be on what I am calling a normal route for a race (where the other records have been set); or would the record be acceptable if someone sailed say in the seasonal Mistral winds off Africa for 24 hours under cherry picked conditions?

In the first case I would bet the odds are greater than once in a century and in the other case it would be a much more common seasonal event.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:52   #39
Marine Service Provider

Tom,

I make no pretension to being able to make the prediction, but the ideal is that you want a storm system that is moving at the same speed the boat is. The record is set on the great circle route between any two points, not the total distance traveled, so it isn't enough to sail around a hurricane system, you have to travel X miles away from where you start.

The goal is to basically stay in the same preassure gradient to keep the boat moving at a pretty constant speed. But in order to do this you need a storm that is moving as fast or faster than the boat is. So as the speed record climbs it becomes increasingly difficult to go any faster because storms simole don't travel quickly enough.

If the boat is fast enough (and the monsters are) they can actually catch the next system in front of them, and link runs between two fronts. Commanche did this on her trans-Atlantic record run. But there is a big trough in speed between when you sail out of the first and catch the second.

So assuming a typical cold front travels at 25kn, the easiest record to break is 600nm. Because you can stay in the same place relative to the system for the whole day and make 600nm easily... But to go faster than this requires you to traverse the system. Assuming the storm system moves in a strait line that means entering the back of the system and sailing thru it. But you need a system that is at least 400nm wide for this to hit 1000nm. Most cold fronts simply aren't that big other than hurricanes and they don't move fast enough.

So what you are looking for is a massive cold front, that is traveling faster than normal. The bigger it is the slower it can be moving...

The only other option is a boat that is capable of sustaining very high average speeds in moderate conditions. Which is why I think a full foiling boat like lehydropta is the best bet. She could hit 40kn averages in something like 20kn of breeze. And if they every build a 130' foiler should be able to maintain probably 40kn in <20kn of breeze. This frees the routing from cold fronts, any good trade wind breeze shouldbe able to sustain itself easily for 24 hours.

In other words... I am pretty sure that BP could break the 1000nm threshold, but I don't think she is likely to get the weather she needs to do it. A full foiling boat however doesn't need as perfect wind conditions, so the likelyhood of breaking the record goes up.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:14   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Seeing as many storms are rather large, assumption is you start in the rear of it and transit through, maybe that could take 1000 NM if the storm was large enough?

Just arm chair here, this stuff is way out of my knowledge base

Is it 24 hours from a set point, or can you start at any time, ending point of course being 24 hrs away?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 13:59   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
SNIP

Is it 24 hours from a set point, or can you start at any time, ending point of course being 24 hrs away?
Which was the question I asked earlier using different words and no one has answered yet.

Here is video of Bank Pop at just over 41kn and seeming to be completely in control. It would just take a little more speed for 24 hrs under these rather moderate conditions for boats of this type to break 1k for 24 hrs. One thing I have noticed is that in videos of Bank Pop sailing very fast there are reefs in the main. When Donatella bought Bank Pop and renamed it Spindrift the mast was shortened under the theory that most of the racing was being done with reefs in the sail so why carry around the extra weight of a taller mast; so Yanni and Spindrift should be even faster than Bank Pop under some conditions.

Old 11-08-2016, 14:04   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Now I know how to stay awake while single handing - I'd be too scared at those speeds to ever go to sleep lol.
exactly. If you can sleep going 30 knots you have been tranquilized.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 14:20   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Yes, he seems to be a pretty decent sailor. Also holds the single handed 24 hour record for monohulls. 534 miles.

Thanks for the info and not a bunch of rhetoric as some post.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 15:55   #44
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Seeing as many storms are rather large, assumption is you start in the rear of it and transit through, maybe that could take 1000 NM if the storm was large enough?

Just arm chair here, this stuff is way out of my knowledge base

You can start at any time, and it ends 24 hours later. The only wiggle room is rounding the GPS time rounded to the minute. And the record has to be broken by at least 1nm. The distance is measured on the great circle route between the start and end point.

If the storm is large enough, it would work. And you can add in distance traveled thanks to the current as well. But a large enough and fast enough storm is rare. It's the same reason why for record attempts it is common to wait weeks or longer for the perfect weather conditions.

Old 22-08-2016, 13:55   #45

Amazing record and amazing sailing!

That Macif trimaran is such a great design as well. The enclosed cockpit must take so much of the fatigue out of sailing in those conditions for extended periods of time.

It probably adds a fair bit of aerodynamic drag but it wouldn't surprise me if the less fatigued sailor is able to go faster anyway.

Here's a short clip showing some more of it:
P.Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single