Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2018, 18:54   #1

1990 Catalina 36, 1982 Niagara 35?

Hi guys , I need some insights and help with my choice.
First about 1990 Catalina 36 in very good condition( from pictures provided -(I didn't see her yet )- how about sailing, overall quality experience of this boat ?
It is any comparison versus 1982 Niagara 35 with good survey. Only fresh water(from Montreal). I saw the boat 2 weeks ago and looks very good for the age and priced fairly right. Only the problem of bringing the boat from Montreal to Newburgh NY) I never sailed that way). Catalina is local boat more expensive of course is 8 years younger.
Tank you for any comments.
Robert
robfuse is online now Report Post
robfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:33   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: !990 atalina 36, 1982 Niagara 35?

I'm not fond of the construction quality of the Catalinas. The bulkheads and furniture are not bonded to hull which bothers me. Other than that the C36 is a roomy boat with a nice layout and sails okay. Would expect the Niagra to be a sturdier built boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 20:02   #3

Re: !990 atalina 36, 1982 Niagara 35?

Tank you roverhi. Just what I think. Niagara 35 seems to me so solid. Probably condition is the point. Another think is what kind of sailing ? I can compromise build quality a little. No offshore ( right now- I'm not feel confident with my sailing skills yet). Some coastline, Long Island Sound , Coastline MA, ME).
My base is Newburgh NY on Hudson River, for short weekend adventures. I dont have idea which one of this 2 will feet better my needs. I tend a little towards Catalina 36, but after seeing Niagara 35 ( no rust at ALL on any hardware , any single fasteners plus many upgrades - it's very hard to past)
So dilemma still here!!!
Please , post yours thoughts and insights . I'll really appreciate .
Robert
Old 26-05-2018, 21:31   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1
Re: 1990 Catalina 36, 1982 Niagara 35?

I think Catalina sometimes gets a bad rap. They are pretty good boats, affordable, well supported by the factory and Owner's groups. They sail well. And they built hundreds, if not thousands. By 1990 the bugs were worked out.

I owned a 36 on the Chesapeake for several years. There was some clear cost-cutting measures, but overall I was pretty happy.

Depends a lot on your sailing plans. Day sailing, week long cruises, coastal cruising. All capable, very comfortably, with Catalina. Across the North Atlantic, maybe not the best choice.

By the way, the PHRF number for the Niagara 35 is 153. Catalina is 138 (per NE PHRF Assoc.)
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 22:05   #5

Boat: catalina 400 MKII

The Catalina 36 is a well built, tough little cruiser. I personally see it as well suited for difficult coastal conditions. If properly prepared, it could be a fine passage maker. They sail well, and are fun to sail. For the type of sailing you've described, the Catalina is an excellent candidate.

What is really going to matter to you, in my opinion, are condition, price, and - for lack of a better word - stoke. Condition has two main components: How much gear, and what shape it's in. Especially the big expensive items, the hull, the engine, the running rigging, the electronics. Is there gear missing that you will need to buy? Is there stuff that will cost a lot of money or time to repair or install? That brings up the second consideration, the cost. Which boat gives you the most bang for the buck? When I'm looking at a choice like yours, I like to make a spread sheet to add up the costs of each of the boats I'm looking at. Not just the purchase price, but the price that I'll realistically end up paying to get it the way I want it. That brings up the third consideration, stoke. Like the surfers say. Are you stoked? Which boat gives you that little tingle that says ... "Ohhh, I Like That!!!" It's different for each of us what gives that reaction, but I personally don't want a boat unless it give me that little thrill.

It just so happens that Catalinas do it for me. I like the style. I like the look. I like the way they sail. I like the construction details. (by the way, go to their website for lots of information about design and construction. Catalina Yachts. Also go to the YouTube on "How It's Made". . ). I've spent a lot of time on my brother's (now my nephew"s) Catalina 36, and I think it's a hell-of-a good boat. I've heard good things about the Niagra. So it looks like you have some good choices ahead of you. Good luck on finding the boat that best fits your desires and needs.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:05   #6

Montreal to NYC is an easy motor trip. Raise mast down the Huson.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:31   #7

Boat: Beneteau

Creature comfort to the Catalina. The Niagara is a good sailing boat but I'm not fond of the layouts available. Had a chance to buy one and I'm presently caring for one owned by a friend. I was pleasantly surprised by its sailing characteristics.

Also considered buying the Catalina but was beaten by another offer. Maybe one of the most popular "newer"designs here in Newfoundland and therefore you have to be quick with your offer.

Again the Niagara can sail and probably speaks more to the traditionalist where my read on the Catalina is more modern thinking and more room for cruising. Both good boats with inherent strength of design.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 09:44   #8
So many boats, so little time.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FYC Club boats, 22 to 40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c-m View Post
The Catalina 36 is a well built, tough little cruiser. I personally see it as well suited for difficult coastal conditions. If properly prepared, it could be a fine passage maker. They sail well, and are fun to sail. For the type of sailing you've described, the Catalina is an excellent candidate.
Annndddd... Frequently overlooked: Parts. All boats break stuff.
Catalina is still in business. Most builders of that time, not so.
There are numerous well supplied parts sources.
For instance, yesterday we wanted to get quotes on interior cushions for our 95 Catalina 400. Surprise, the guy who built the original cushions for Catalina is still in business in Woodland Hills, C's original location.
He had a complete set of original cushions in a premium upgrade material for our 1995 C400 on the shelf, and quoted us only ~$1,000 more that a competitive quote to just re-cover the old cushions.
Another: after a year of fussing and slipping, concluded it was time to replace the windlass gypsy. A trip to West Marine for what was sure to be a special order was made.
Nope. They had one on the shelf. Yes, really, for our windlass our size chain.

Try that with any builder that's been out of business for more than a few years.
People complain "it's a production builder" - like success is a bad thing. By that standard, be sure and avoid Hinckley, too. They use glue in liners, too, ya know.
td0tz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 15:04   #9

Thank you All. It's seems to me the 2 are good boats ( I tends a little to Catalina if my offer will be accepted and Cat is local boat)). I didn't exclude the Niagara 35 too yet-my offer accepted. The only thing is to go from Montreal to NY , never did that and I'm relatively new sailor to the more complex boat than West Wight Potter 19. Dismasting, 11 Loks sounds to me a little intimidating. Any of you have it an experience of sail from Montreal to NYC? Could you share your experiences?
Thank you
Have a good rest of the weekend.
Robert
Old 27-05-2018, 15:05   #10

Boat: C&C 37

not familiar with that model Catalina, but have sailed on others. Niagara 35 is hard to beat. Yes, layout is a bit different, typical Mark Ellis design - ie - Nonsuch, but the C&C/Hintetrholler build quality is hard to beat. I would go offshore with a more peaceful mind in the Niagara rather than the Catalina., even with the age difference - and better sailing experience
RobertoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 16:06   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Some early Niagaras had sail drives. If this one does I'd pass on it.
Old 28-05-2018, 06:53   #12

Boat: Scout 30

Catalinas are good functional boats. The Niagara 35 is a beautiful boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 07:37   #13

I would like to add 1986 C&C 35 MK-3 to the pool. Boat seems to be in really good condition (from photos provided-164).Price is right. Probably the fastest from 3 of my choice. I wondering about your overall experiences with this boat? Anyone could tell me about headroom in the cabin?
Thank You.
All the best.
Old 28-05-2018, 07:59   #14

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

As others have said, the Catalina is not for serious offshore work. That said, I had one for two years and loved it. They sail quite well and have incredible room for a 36 footer. Let the haters bag on Catalinas all they want. I would own another one in a heartbeat, and I use my boats a lot. It would also be a great starter boat, being forgiving in its sailing performance. Most people eventually move on to another boat after learning with their first one, but who knows?

Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 08:35   #15

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I suspect that either boat would meet your needs. There are two interior arrangements for the Niagara. The Mark 1, I think it is called, has two quarter berths with galley and head just forward and then the main cabin. The V-berth area may be a workshop, a kid's sized V-berth or a full V-berth with the loss of storage just aft. The Encore has a double pullman berth forward and a fairly conventional rest of the boat. One is not necessarily better than the other - they just meet different needs.

The trip from Montreal to the Hudson is very pleasant and too hard. If could take crew with you who are familiar with mast raising and lowering you can take it down at Sorel on the St Lawrence and put it up at Castleton south of Albany. If you wanted someone else to do the job there are marinas before and after to do it, but it will cost considerably more.

BTW, the no rust on the Niagara will only last until you are in salt water. Good idea to use a passivator on the stainless since it won't have been done ever I suspect.

Tags
catalina