Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 13:00   #1

1982 Hunter 37 Cherubini or 1983-1984 Catalina 36-38

I'm sorry for bringing up over-discussed topic of "which boat is better?"... but here it goes anyway...

Purpose: Cruiser to stay coastal. NorCal down WC to Mexico, Sea of Cortez, eventually Panama Canal / Caribbean. 2-person crew in their 20's (only mentioning age to understand budget a bit better). Plan is to be at anchor every night or every other night -- so don't need true "bluewater" boat since weather planning will be done very carefully and cautiously -- will stay at anchor if rough weather. Budget search (max 45k) and year (Min 1980) on yachtworld is showing a lot of early 80's C-36s and C-38s... and then a 1982 Hunter 37 Cherubini design. I've researched a bit about Cherubini design and it sounds like the Cherubini is more solid than the average Hunter.

Question posed -- based on reputation and experience (specific equipment and condition aside) -- which is the better boat for my purposes? I know a lot of people will try to say "spend more money" or "neither boat is perfect for you"... but given my situation... what is everyone's thoughts? Can't wait to hear!
Stu C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:29   #2

Right after I posted that, I figured someone might suggest not limiting to 1980+... and I found 1978 Morgan 382. More solid?
Old 11-06-2010, 13:45   #3
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Cherubini - I know what boat you are thinking of since I am in the same area as you and have her on my secondary list of possibilities. Cherubini is a well respected designer.

Specification wise, I rated her as average (which is still good IMHO). She should be good in light winds and is a medium displacement boat that heels well. She should be somewhat uncomfortable though on the go, and her recovery on knock downs doesn't appear that high.

With this boat I would call them on it, and take a look. The listing doesn't have a HP and hours on the engine. I recommend Terri since I worked with her a bit on listings for my own needs.

You might also search this board. Here is a post
Feedback on Hunter 37? - SailNet Community
The Catalina 38 scores about the same as the Hunter.

The Catalina 36 wasn't good enough for me to consider.

I can't speak to the construction of either, and also the keel and rudder shape may or may not be to your fancy. And the survey may turn up issues.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 13:56   #4
cruiser

I've been on that Morgan. The Morgan you are referring to may have some serious structural concern$ that may not be easy to fix IMHO. Needs a strong survey. I would look at the Hunter. There's also an Islander 36 in Oakland you may want to look at. There are some Pacific Seacraft 25's around (although no head room)
Old 11-06-2010, 14:05   #5

Thanks SaltyMonkey for 1st hand knowledge on Morgan! Saves some time for me. Can I ask why you consider C-38 but don't consider C-36?
Old 11-06-2010, 14:16   #6
cruiser

For me, it was a question of handling roll recovery and the like. And keel / rudder shape Also, understand that neither of these boats are top picks for me. I'm looking more for a full keel / mid to heavy displacement boat since I am headed solo blue water and in heavier latitudes. And also I have a bigger budget.

For your needs this Hunter or either Catalina may be good since you are coasting. You really need to get on them and compare. So, go look!
Old 11-06-2010, 14:28   #7

We sailed a Catalina 36 (1995) from Florida to USVIs - mostly glorified daysails - waiting for weather whenever it would be uncomfortable. It was a solid, largely trouble free, but unremarkable performer and well suited to leisurely coastal/island hopping style cruising. It wasn't much fun bashing and pounding to windward along the south P.R. coast, but then again, pretty much nothing is.

The Cherubini H37Cs are much more fun in light to moderate wind/seas. They are very fast light wind performers, but they are not excessively tender, and they can go fast without a lot of heeling drama. They are cutter rigs and they point quite well without excessive leeway - at least in the deep keel version.

With this vintage it's all about condition - probably much more important than design for your intended use.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:49   #8
cruiser

yup...the numbers sort of reflect that on the C36. The C38 may be a better compare.
Old 11-06-2010, 16:00   #9

Hunter 37 Cherubini

I owned one of these boats for several years and found them to be basically good boats. Mine had some serious cost cutting measures, such as gate valves and nonsense like that but once brought up to standards and for the price it was fine. Good layout, usable galley, wife loved the shower stall. One thing that always concerned me was after a rousing sail the ports world leak slightly, I always chalked it up to slight hull flex. A reasonable boat for your intended purposes.

Jay
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:38   #10
cruiser

A couple of review sections on sailnet for C36, C38

My Product Gallery - 36 - Powered by ReviewPost

My Product Gallery - 38 - Powered by ReviewPost
Old 13-01-2011, 18:35   #11

Boat: Freedom 32
H37C and C38 should be considered adopted

These two boats have very little to do with the lineage from which them come. While I would never consider owning a Hunter, the 37C is the ONE exception. While I would never consider owning a Catalina, the 38 is the one exception.
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 36, catalina 38, hunter, hunter cherubini