Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2013, 12:09   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post

Oh, I agree their are sytems and techniques that can be of aid, but still a bigger boat has bigger forces at play. In the wrong conditions that extra time to get an anchor up could be the difference between going aground or hitting another boat at anchor. I had a bad anchoring experience in a storm that absolutely pushed my limits and abilities in my 33-footer, that probably would have been well within my limits in my 26-footer.

Most of the time my 33-footer is no more difficult to handle than my 26-footer was, but it's not "most of the time" that is the limiting factor. It only takes that one time that your boat is too much for you to handle.

I recall, the Pardy's writing about one particular storm in which couples on most smaller boats escaped, but many couple's on larger boats lost their boats because they couldn't handle the conditions. (mostly getting their anchors up and underway)

I'm not saying a 34 foot Hunter is or is not too much, I'm just saying one needs to consider what they can and can not realistically handle under the worse conditions they may face.

I'm quite comfortable chartering a 40-foot Catamaran for a week with several friends in fairly protected waters. Sailing a 33-foot boat solo in harsher conditions on the other hand pushes my limits.
Already dealing with oversized anchor rode and chain, won't make much difference....
Incentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 12:16   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post

But she has explained it to you. She feels claustrophobic on the smaller boat. Hunter cabins are designed both for roominess and the illusion that they are even roomier than they look. Someone who has not yet been completely sucked in by the lure of sailing will like a Hunter.

You just never know, like the little boy who was on my boat but hated the vee berth. I know from our experience with a C class RV that my daughters would have loved it.

People ... vary.
In truth I have an amazing wife, really she's more then I've ever wished for....still if I have to I will leave alone, been marked 20years to my ex and I've learned the importance to follow our dream....like you guys have said a bigger boat to make it happen is no big deal...
Old 21-08-2013, 12:17   #63

Re: What Would You Do? 26ft vs 34ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incentive View Post
Well Well she spent the last few hours cleaning the hunters interior, even said a few odd things like we gona sand this, varnish that, paint here .....

The boat has no water damage, it never sunk....there's been water inside, dirty water....once clean she's awesome
My wife is more exited then I am, she's trying to convince me to launch the hunter this weekend haha....woman il never understand!
If the wife is excited, it seems like an easy decision. Then, when more time or money is required, she's in. This is your shot at getting her on board, so from the cheap seats it looks like a good move.

It sure beats sailing a smaller boat alone.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 13:03   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post

If the wife is excited, it seems like an easy decision. Then, when more time or money is required, she's in. This is your shot at getting her on board, so from the cheap seats it looks like a good move.

It sure beats sailing a smaller boat alone.
Absolutely
Old 21-08-2013, 13:12   #65

No doubt that a smaller boat is easier. I remember just jerking my mainsail up on the 30 footer. Piece of cake. My catamaran took every thing the winch could handle all the way up and it had Harken batt cars!
I think if you are comfortable with your boat, do this: Ask her to try it out cruising, and if you both want to continue cruising after that, then you will look for a bigger boat. Odds are good one or both of you wont like it anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 13:18   #66
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

I suspect the opposite will happen. Hunters are a hoot to sail. Combine that with a comfy, spacious cabin at the end of the day and it can be a coastal cruiser's dream. Hunters are the boats people love to trash, but I love mine. She's an '83 and doesn't leak *anywhere.*

What I think they'll find is that they don't want the Hunter for bluewater sailing, and move on to a different boat reluctantly.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2013, 13:56   #67
CLOD

Boat: none

34' = Big Boat

tell me another funny one
Old 21-08-2013, 13:58   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No doubt that a smaller boat is easier. I remember just jerking my mainsail up on the 30 footer. Piece of cake. My catamaran took every thing the winch could handle all the way up and it had Harken batt cars!
I think if you are comfortable with your boat, do this: Ask her to try it out cruising, and if you both want to continue cruising after that, then you will look for a bigger boat. Odds are good one or both of you wont like it anyway.
I understand this, even on my folkboat I've never used the winches handle , only rapped the line twice around it and pulled by hand....on my Grampian I really need them with the genoa...I can imagine the need for bigger winches on a 34ft boat
Old 21-08-2013, 14:08   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I suspect the opposite will happen. Hunters are a hoot to sail. Combine that with a comfy, spacious cabin at the end of the day and it can be a coastal cruiser's dream. Hunters are the boats people love to trash, but I love mine. She's an '83 and doesn't leak *anywhere.*

What I think they'll find is that they don't want the Hunter for bluewater sailing, and move on to a different boat reluctantly.
We have seen a few sailboats in that size rang and there's no getting around the hunter34. It's designed to Win hearts.
Beautiful woodwork and cabinetry well laid out interior, full of opening hatches and ports. Pour Grampian 26 can't compete in the woman's eye, hec it even got my vote!
Old 22-08-2013, 10:31   #70

Boat: Ericson 27

Hi - don't know if this has been mentioned, but my Grampian 26 had an outboard motor in a well - not a reliable option in my opinion. Does yours have a diesel?
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 04:11   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Hi - don't know if this has been mentioned, but my Grampian 26 had an outboard motor in a well - not a reliable option in my opinion. Does yours have a diesel?
Mine has a cut out transom...love it

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1349128562.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	65892
Old 23-08-2013, 10:14   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
(...) my folkboat (...) my Grampian (...)
Was it a Nordic or an IF?

If it was an IF then in my book you have stepped down.

?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:07   #73

Quote:
Here's my new delema....been sailing on my grampian26 all summer, it's been a wonderfully enriching experience ..... I love my boat and see no reasons why I couldn't sail to the tropics next year..... Only problem is the wife, she feels clostrofobic and wants no part of this boat.... However she has set her hart on a hunter 34ft and says she would travel anywhere with me on that boat....Now befor anyone says it out load , I am considering changing the women or leaving without her..... Nevertheless your opinions might give her right of way and stir me in the hunter game, who knows?
Ps. If you respond pleas give me your reason?
Size is nice when u are relaxing, but seaworthiness is crucial when you are traveling. Hunter is a very nice boat, but I would prefer at least a modified full keel to feel safe. Coming from a woman who felt the same way about my husband's smaller boats, having a bigger boat helps the feelings of space, but if the claustrophobia is resulting from a lack of security and control, size will not make things better. Sailing lessons only made me more aware of dangers. It took me 25 years to say, I don't want to cruise but I will meet you there.
Jmkctc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 12:09   #74
Armchair Bucketeer

Given OP's original comments - I suspect that whatever size boat is purchased that a good divorce lawyer will be needed if he wants to carry on sailing on any boat.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 14:56   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Given OP's original comments - I suspect that whatever size boat is purchased that a good divorce lawyer will be needed if he wants to carry on sailing on any boat.
Suspicions why torture me, la la la la la lalala.... No need to wary she's very happy with her choice, me i don't mind until the dang thing starts turning in circles every time the wind picks up.....il keep the Grampian close hihi

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2002127121.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	65918