Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2017, 10:01   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: What Do You Think Of This Vega?

Since the broker is also in Largs there would be no harm in asking for extra photos of the yacht.

However, I do wonder about your time table. How long do you think new sails are going to take and have a wind vane made, delivered and fitted etc. Suspect you will be fitting diesel heating to survive the Scottish winter. A drysuit isn't great for sailing because you sweat and then the damp under suits conduct heat far more efficiently, been there go the t shirt diving.

You will need heat on board to stay comfortable and live as we have done this week whilst out sailing.

They made something like 3000 of these yachts, another will be along shortly.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:09   #17

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Buying a 20 k boat sight unseen is ridiculously stupid . There , somebody needed to say it .
You say the upper paint it just as you like it ? And you judge that from internet photos ?
Check your impulses at the door . You know nothing about the boat until you touch it and look with hour own two eyes. If you believe a broker then you very likely believe a politicians campaign promises.
Really consider all that you have posted here and make believe someone else wrote it and then reply to the question you ask .
Rethink your approach.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:22   #18

Boat: Swan 40; Yankee Dolphin; International Fireball, Naples Sabot; Klepper Kayak with Sail Rig

I agree that you shouldn't buy sight unseen. I know that Albin Vega's have a great reputation, but I still think the price is a bit steep for a boat of that vintage and size, unless it was truly turn key. Also the link shows one for $10,234 US, which seems like a more reasonable price.
Alan j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 10:47   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I am with you on the Vega, it is a nice little boat... but you have been bitten hard by the bug. I'd say hold on a second.. all the way to England for a Vega? Now i am speaking as one who was looking nationwide for a Columbia 29! That was extreme, to say the least... but I was bitten. Fortunately mine turned up right around the corner... my wife probably would have left me if I had paid too much for a boat and then paid to have it shipped across the country too. But if you are committed to sail south from England, well, ok... but be sure to check with boatman first!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:19   #20

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
One thing not mentioned explicitly in the listing that you may want to consider ... in 6 months from now ... will you be happy taking possession, outfitting, and starting cruising a new to you 40 year old boat as Winter approaches the west coast of Scotland?
Other than the fact that to some of us it is always winter in Scotland (I have a photo of me brother wearing shorts in the snow while hunting rabbits) what is wrong with the boat? Nothing based on the ad, but some oddities such as the failure to mention the engine hours, particularly in view of the probability that she has been re-powered. She does need the survey and some updating if (inferred by me, but not stated) she is to be sailed to North America. Would you Vega sailors recommend an improvement in the bridge and the companionway, and perhaps a straight jib, but not a genoa on the fuller, before such a sail? I'd ask about the inflatable, anchors/rodes, and every other question you have before proceeding with a survey.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:30   #21

Boat: a sailing boat

When I opened, the ad says 10k, not 18k. Does it still stand 18k in your browser?

At home they cost from hundreds to say 5k, so I would not buy the one in the ad. Then again, if it is close to the place you live and if you hate sailing a Vega across the North Sea in the spring ...

Terrible little boats but then again cheap and capable of giving one plenty of home cruising on the cheap. Definitely a smarter choice than waiting years, buying a Bavaria and keeping it tied to the dock while you are grinding hard to pay back the bank.

If she is clean, sound, and has the gadgets you think you need, go have a look then possibly throw a low ball.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:43   #22

BTW if you do own 18k, you may opt for a better bigger Albin somewhere say like in Denmark.

It is not such a hell of a delivery if you live in the UK anyways - coast to Holland in summer then ask help from a friend and cross over in one day.

b.
Old 21-04-2017, 11:45   #23

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
At home they cost from hundreds to say 5k, so I would not buy the one in the ad.[1]
Definitely a smarter choice than waiting years, buying a Bavaria and keeping it tied to the dock while you are grinding hard to pay back the bank.[2]
.... throw a low ball.[3]

Cheers,
b.
[1]Where is "home" so the prices can be investigated?[2] Keels are better on the Albin Vega than your comparison boat.[3] Hardly the way to acquire a boat you actually want in a reliable way.
Old 21-04-2017, 13:01   #24

Boat: CAL 34-1, 1970

Does this boat have a transmission? A friend had one that came with a hollow propeller shaft (expensive) and a cable controlled reverse function which controlled the prop pitch from forward through neutral (featjered) through reverse. The cable was situated inside the hollow and spinning prop shaft.

As it aged, it became a maintenance pig, with my friend having to fork over some big bucks to replace the proprietary components.

He absolutely loved the boat but DID upgrade to something that better fit his maintenance budget.

Three boats later, he has an old glass 34, (a ,Grampian). It has been 'his right boat', being easier and cheaper to maintain.
etterridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 15:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
[1]Where is "home" so the prices can be investigated?

(...)
How do you post without access to the Internet?

Albins are, I believe, Swedish boats. I have seen heaps of them in Sweden and also in the neighbouring Denmark there are very many.

There is not so much as an investigation: pop up in the spring, go to any bigger marina and buy something. You can buy dirt cheap in the fall though.

Vegas are OK for local cruising but if you want a cheap and better boat, you may be tempted to consider an IF as a viable alternative (if you live in Sweden/Denmark/Germany or anywhere nearby).

Cheers,
b.
Old 22-04-2017, 18:34   #26

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Would echo what cheecako mentioned, find a local surveyor who will give her a cursory look. I did that here in the USA. Found what appeared to be the boat that fit all my requirements but was 1000 miles away. Spoke with a local surveyor who gave her topline look for about one hundred fifty dollars. Found the boat had been submerged. I moved on. Good luck
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2017, 21:03   #27

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Nonsense. You can smartly buy a boat unseen, regardless of price. We did exactly that, and I know many others who have too. Find a good local surveyor that has solid references and who you feel you can trust after vetting, and discuss paying for extra services. In our case, we had the surveyor video and take maybe a hundred plus photos and then give us his rundown over the phone while we watched him go thru the photos and videos. It worked great. We also made the purchase subject to our own personal inspection and sea trial upon our visit, and the seller was patient to allow us to make our arrangements. In the meantime he had our signed offer and earnest money deposit. Our risk was if the surveyor said no go right at the outset- but even that would have happened before haulout and a lot of investment. We could tell that he was valuable eyes for us and it all worked out.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 06:09   #28

But maybe a boat like a Vega does not call for a surveyor and a broker and a financing agent and ...

Or do you want to buy at 10k something that can be purchased at 1k elsewhere?

C'mon people - we are talking 2 tons of grp and cast iron, NOT a million dollars Swan.

b.
Old 23-04-2017, 07:59   #29

Boat: Truant Triad 37 Cutter-Alaska, Leopard 40 Cat, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
But maybe a boat like a Vega does not call for a surveyor and a broker and a financing agent and ...

Or do you want to buy at 10k something that can be purchased at 1k elsewhere?

C'mon people - we are talking 2 tons of grp and cast iron, NOT a million dollars Swan.

b.

So what's your point? I can't tell if you are dissing me, everyone else, the original poster, or just contradicting yourself.
seahag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 09:13   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahag View Post
So what's your point? I can't tell if you are dissing me, everyone else, the original poster, or just contradicting yourself.
No. No dissing. Apologies for having sounded like.

What I was trying to tell is that it is such a small boat that if one adds the services of a surveyor (or any other agent) then one will pay more for the extra services than the whole boat is worth.

My apology & regards,
barnakiel