Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 13:47   #46

Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Most I've seen dont have teak decks.... which is a huge plus over HC, Tayana etc. Although a few o f those dont either... not many though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:48   #47

Boat: Westsail 32

This is her.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 13:58   #48

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We ordered from Bud. You'll probably want a few upgrades and also you have to take into account freight. Freight to us was like 250.

Will all your existing fuel and raw water plumbing fit? That is more cost.

On our boat we also had to fabricate some extra spacers to mount the motor, again more cost.

When you have the motor out you'll want to change the cutless, zincs, service the stuffing box, possibly replace the shaft, etc etc. More expenses.

You'll probably have to recut/install the gauge cluster. More paint/wood/epoxy/etc.

All hose clamps will want a change while you're in there.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just saying that project scope creep def happens in a repower so 10k budget for the project is probably off. I think if you remove all the "other" stuff we did and just looked at purely what the engine repower alone cost us it would be around 13k. And we did almost all the work ourselves.

Will the old muffler work? Is the exhaust sized correctly? Do you have the stuff you already need for an antisiphon? More expense.

You'll need lots of extra bolts and probably new plates to mount the motor to.
etc etc etc.

The list goes on. Its not tons more than just the base cost of the engine but don't expect to spend 10k for a turn key job. I just see no way of doing that.
...I can confirm this also when I removed the 24hp. MDll out of my Ingrid 38 for a 4jh. Engine beds...new rubber mounts...different exhaust...hoses ect.
Even this engine rebuild I just finish, went way over budget due to questionable hoses and out-dated exhaust system. In the end, it will all be worth it. Now, I don't even have to think about the engine.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:01   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We ordered from Bud. You'll probably want a few upgrades and also you have to take into account freight. Freight to us was like 250.

Will all your existing fuel and raw water plumbing fit? That is more cost.

On our boat we also had to fabricate some extra spacers to mount the motor, again more cost.

When you have the motor out you'll want to change the cutlass, zincs, service the stuffing box, possibly replace the shaft, etc etc. More expenses.

You'll probably have to recut/install the gauge cluster. More paint/wood/epoxy/etc.

All hose clamps will want a change while you're in there.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just saying that project scope creep def happens in a repower so 10k budget for the project is probably off. I think if you remove all the "other" stuff we did and just looked at purely what the engine repower alone cost us it would be around 13k. And we did almost all the work ourselves.

Will the old muffler work? Is the exhaust sized correctly? Do you have the stuff you already need for an anti siphon? More expense.

You'll need lots of extra bolts and probably new plates to mount the motor to.
etc etc etc.

The list goes on. Its not tons more than just the base cost of the engine but don't expect to spend 10k for a turn key job. I just see no way of doing that.
Yes, I completely understand, I was talking about the cost of the engine alone, and that number I got from the service manual. Believe me, I'm under no illusions, this boat has the original 35 hp volvo in it, it's suppose to be fine, but I'm going to repower with the Beta. I'm going to get this boat ready for the SP, and it's going to cost me, that's all there is to it.
Old 14-03-2012, 14:13   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Yes, I completely understand, I was talking about the cost of the engine alone, and that number I got from the service manual. Believe me, I'm under no illusions, this boat has the original 35 hp volvo in it, it's suppose to be fine, but I'm going to repower with the Beta. I'm going to get this boat ready for the SP, and it's going to cost me, that's all there is to it.
I don't know...if it were me and the hours on the engine was under...say...6000hrs, I might want to keep it as is and invest in spare if not an extra engine for parts. I think that engine is a MD3B. If it runs...what the hell?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 14-03-2012, 14:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't know...if it were me and the hours on the engine was under...say...6000hrs, I might want to keep it as is and invest in spare if not an extra engine for parts. I think that engine is a MD3B. If it runs...what the hell?
I know, I thought about that, but I want a brand spanking new Beta 38.
Old 14-03-2012, 14:25   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Got yourself a real beauty. Congrats .

Not sure I'd rush out to repower though. If the engine is running well, and has been maintained, then why the rush? Diesels are supposed to be good for thousands of hours. I don't have any personal experience with Volvos, but if it's good, I'd run with it.

Just me though...
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:42   #53

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Thanks T9 I'll take a look. That number for the Beta 38 is from my W32 service manual, so that's Buds number. Also, I have a friend that has a truck repair business, he's checking to see what I could get it at for cost. I'll install.
That's a bit low to mention Bud's estimate and to publicly admit beating ways around it. He is a great guy and is doing much for you.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 14:55   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
That's a bit low to mention Bud's estimate and to publicly admit beating ways around it. He is a great guy and is doing much for you.
That's just what this guy I know told me. I've already talked to Bud about the Beta 38 and will go with him. And that's not an estimate, that # is in the service manual for the W32. I am a lot of things, low is not one of them.
Old 14-03-2012, 15:16   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Got yourself a real beauty. Congrats .

Not sure I'd rush out to repower though. If the engine is running well, and has been maintained, then why the rush? Diesels are supposed to be good for thousands of hours. I don't have any personal experience with Volvos, but if it's good, I'd run with it.

Just me though...
Thanks Mike, You and CS are saying the same thing, it's just I've got plans for this boat and they're long distance. Something tells me to repower. I've got a dollar amount that I would like to stay within to get this boat ready. There is room for the Beta, and maybe some bells and whistles too. We'll see, this whole process just getting to this point has been a learning experience to say the least.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:45   #56

Boat: Tartan 40
What a beautiful boat. I forgot how high the bulwarks are and what confidence they inspire.

I did a lot of cruising on my parents' Bermuda 40 in the 1990s, and it has a westerbeke 4-107 in it with about 3000-4000 hours.
They never replaced the engine due to most people telling them it is a good base engine. Which it is, and is still running. But I have stopped counting at the number of times it left us stranded due to something small, like a starter, or air getting in the injectors, or overheating.... Bottom line is, I have no confidence in the engine, and would never want to push it, nor embark on any long cruise, even though it generally runs like a top.

In any case, there is such a nice feeling knowing that you have a new engine that you can rely on, so I would agree with the repower, and I'd sell the old engine. You could probably get a few grand if it runs, right?
Alternately, pull the engine and fully rebuild and save a few grand. Its rarely the block or pistons that fail, but usually everything bolted on the outside. However, i think volvo parts are much more expensive than beta/kubota parts...
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 19:52   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
However, i think volvo parts are much more expensive than beta/kubota parts...

...Boy...you're not kidding. It probably costs more to rebuild an MD3B including starter, alternator, rebuild inj. pump and injectors, then to buy the Beta 38. I was hosed $600 for a started one time.
Old 14-03-2012, 19:55   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
What a beautiful boat. I forgot how high the bulwarks are and what confidence they inspire.

I did a lot of cruising on my parents' Bermuda 40 in the 1990s, and it has a westerbeke 4-107 in it with about 3000-4000 hours.
They never replaced the engine due to most people telling them it is a good base engine. Which it is, and is still running. But I have stopped counting at the number of times it left us stranded due to something small, like a starter, or air getting in the injectors, or overheating.... Bottom line is, I have no confidence in the engine, and would never want to push it, nor embark on any long cruise, even though it generally runs like a top.

In any case, there is such a nice feeling knowing that you have a new engine that you can rely on, so I would agree with the repower, and I'd sell the old engine. You could probably get a few grand if it runs, right?
Alternately, pull the engine and fully rebuild and save a few grand. Its rarely the block or pistons that fail, but usually everything bolted on the outside. However, i think volvo parts are much more expensive than beta/kubota parts...
Yeah, that was kinda my thinking, sell the volvo. I want evrything to be as top notch as I can get it. I'm going all the way with this boat and I don't want to skimp. I don't have to so I'm not going to.
Old 14-03-2012, 22:02   #59

I have a Westsail 32. I just checked at the Miami boat show the cost of the beta was about $9600 +++ upgraded alt, panel, etc. figure about $10,500 add install plus new fuel tanks, rewiring while the engine is out I figured the total cost is in the $14,15000 range. Add $2500 for rigging and $5000 for new set of sails and you have a boat that would cost $250,000 for $60 or 70,000.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 03:02   #60

Boat: Privilege 48

Alajuela 38. Beautiful, fast, graceful, strong, safe, low maintenance (compared to timber classic), massive owners cabin and bed, and handled by one. I was looking at many of those you have mentioned and finished with Alajuela. No regrets!! good luck
Longkeel is offline   Reply With Quote