Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2012, 06:41   #31

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I have to add my own boat, the (Allied) Luders 33. Good blue water lines

Not as heavy as the Westsail, but Robin Lee Graham finished his circumnavigation on a sister ship.
Built like a tank with confidence inspiring deep keel in heavy weather, but surprisingly fast in light air as well. Tons of storage and plenty of room below.
A few for sale on yachtworld right now as well.

This one is overpriced, but pretty much turnkey
Luders33forsale.com - Home
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:28   #32

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
I have to add my own boat, the (Allied) Luders 33. Good blue water lines

Not as heavy as the Westsail, but Robin Lee Graham finished his circumnavigation on a sister ship.
Built like a tank with confidence inspiring deep keel in heavy weather, but surprisingly fast in light air as well. Tons of storage and plenty of room below.
A few for sale on yachtworld right now as well.
Yeah, I was looking at the Allied Luders as well, by all accounts a good boat. There is one in Rio Dulce, asking $19,500 USD. It needs a lot of help, but might be able to get it right.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:47   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Yeah, I was looking at the Allied Luders as well, by all accounts a good boat. There is one in Rio Dulce, asking $19,500 USD. It needs a lot of help, but might be able to get it right.

Yeah, mine was listed for that, and I got cheaper but with brand new Yanmar already installed. Put in another 10-15K but really good now. For total 30-35 including refit it's tough to beat a Luders in that size range
Old 14-03-2012, 08:02   #34

Quote:
Yeah, mine was listed for that, and I got cheaper but with brand new Yanmar already installed. Put in another 10-15K but really good now. For total 30-35 including refit it's tough to beat a Luders in that size range
That's good, does that include, water maker, electronics w/ radar, solar, wind gen, life raft, extra sails, ect. ect. ect..........
Old 14-03-2012, 09:05   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
That's good, does that include, water maker, electronics w/ radar, solar, wind gen, life raft, extra sails, ect. ect. ect..........
I had to re-think the need for a water maker. A decent one starts at $4000 and goes up with a few options. My stock tankage on my HR 35 was 100 gallons in the keel. I decided to go with 8 Industrial 5 gallon poly-ethylene jugs, fitted into their own conpartments under the cockpit lockers. Now I can carry 140 gallons. More if I wanted to clutter up my deck, which I don't. Even at a luxurious 2.5 gallons worth of water per person a day, you could go 28 days before running out. If you're on a budget, you might want to consider this. Your other wants are well justified.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:51   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56
No watermaker. Don't want the hassle and battery drain. Added extra water tank to take us up to 80 gallons total. Plenty of room for more tankage if needed. Everywhere we are going you can tank up, albeit at a cost. Will take a lot of tankfuls before the breakeven on watermaker, even if it is maintenance free and trouble free for life, which is not typical.
Yes on new sails, olds as extras, rigging, chainplates, steering, electronics, high efficiency fridge, LEDs throughout, barrier coat, topsides paint. Will add solar at some point when doing more extended cruising but i've tried to make very energy efficient. Liferaft TBD but i don't consider that a part of a refit, just an option to consider. Could put 5-10 more to cross oceans, but not there yet or ever.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial Sailor View Post
I had to re-think the need for a water maker. A decent one starts at $4000 and goes up with a few options. My stock tankage on my HR 35 was 100 gallons in the keel. I decided to go with 8 Industrial 5 gallon poly-ethylene jugs, fitted into their own compartments under the cockpit lockers. Now I can carry 140 gallons. More if I wanted to clutter up my deck, which I don't. Even at a luxurious 2.5 gallons worth of water per person a day, you could go 28 days before running out. If you're on a budget, you might want to consider this. Your other wants are well justified.
Yeah I know, I've thought about what you're saying, but I won't have the storage you have. I don't want to clutter the decks up either. I think there is about 90 gal. water on this W32 and 80 fuel. The cost of the water maker is a lot, like everything else it seems. Buying the boat is just the beginning, unless it's an absolute turn key world cruiser. If everything goes right, I figure it will take a year to get her ready, that's including a repower with a new Beta 38 HP engine, that right there is almost 10k. This is what I'm talking about, buy a 40k Tayana 37 and see what's ahead of you. Anybody even remotely considering this needs to take a hard close look at all the ramifications involved, the work, the expense. You can cut some corners, and debate what the must haves are, but the bottom line is, it cost a good chunk of change to get a good go anywhere boat ready to do the long distance. You know I was going to wait till the fall and put 50k into a boat purchase, T37, Union 36, but after looking at everything that we're talking about here,the W32 just makes more since, plus I love that boat.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:17   #38

SKG56,

I think that 10k for a Beta 38 repower is a little low. We repowered with that motor and it was more than that even though we did almost all of the work ourselves. You just run into incidentals when you're doing that sort of thing. The price of the motor puts you almost there. We have detailed costs on our website along with details of the procedure if you're interested.
Old 14-03-2012, 10:20   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56
Yeah I know, I've thought about what you're saying, but I won't have the storage you have. I don't want to clutter the decks up either. I think there is about 90 gal. water on this W32 and 80 fuel. The cost of the water maker is a lot, like everything else it seems. Buying the boat is just the beginning, unless it's an absolute turn key world cruiser. If everything goes right, I figure it will take a year to her ready, that's including a repower with a new Beta 38 HP engine, that right there is almost 10k. This is what I'm talking about, buy a 40k Tayana 37 and see what's ahead of you. Anybody even remotely considering this needs to take a hard close look at all the ramifications involved, the work, the expense. You can cut some corners, and debate what the must haves are, but the bottom line is, it cost a good chunk of change to get a good go anywhere boat ready to do the long distance. You know I was going to wait till the fall and put 50k into a boat purchase, T37, Union 36, but after looking at everything that we're talking about here,the W32 just makes more since, plus I love that boat.
Yeah, pretty much any used boat is going to need serious cash put in. May as well start with a boat that has good bones and needs a lot but is priced accordingly. Then when you are done you have new systems just as you like....
Old 14-03-2012, 11:38   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much any used boat is going to need serious cash put in. May as well start with a boat that has good bones and needs a lot but is priced accordingly. Then when you are done you have new systems just as you like....
...and by good bones I feel that would be decent sails with at least 5 years left in them. Only a sailmaker can establish that. A low hour, "common" engine and no teak teaks. For a W 32...$7,000 for 3 sails, $13,000 for a new engine (you install) and if you had deck core problems from leaky teak decks...priceless!...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 11:48   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
...and by good bones I feel that would be decent sails with at least 5 years left in them. Only a sailmaker can establish that. A low hour, "common" engine and no teak teaks. For a W 32...$7,000 for 3 sails, $13,000 for a new engine (you install) and if you had deck core problems from leaky teak decks...priceless!...

No, by "good bones" I meant: good pedigree and design, solid hull, dry deck, intact rig. Everything else can be replaced, and you'll feel better knowing you did it and di it well.

I'd rather buy a cheaper boat like that and replace sails, rigging, engine, systems to my specs and desires. Low hours diesel could still be a nightmare if it was only run for 15 min in and out of slip each time. I've never seen people so miserable cruising as those with a balky engine, even though it can be done.

I was lucky my Luders had a 66 hour Yanmar 3YM30 when I bought it. But the rigging was fine but old, the sails fine but old. Both got replaced soon after to the specs I wanted in sails and rigging. Same goes for electronics, systems, head, cosmetics, fridge....
Old 14-03-2012, 13:38   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
SKG56,

I think that 10k for a Beta 38 repower is a little low. We repowered with that motor and it was more than that even though we did almost all of the work ourselves. You just run into incidentals when you're doing that sort of thing. The price of the motor puts you almost there. We have detailed costs on our website along with details of the procedure if you're interested.
Thanks T9 I'll take a look. That number for the Beta 38 is from my W32 service manual, so that's Buds number. Also, I have a friend that has a truck repair business, he's checking to see what I could get it at for cost. I'll install.
Old 14-03-2012, 13:42   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
This W32 does not have teak decks
Old 14-03-2012, 13:46   #44

Another shot.
Old 14-03-2012, 13:47   #45

Quote:
Thanks T9 I'll take a look. That number for the Beta 38 is from my W32 service manual, so that's Buds number. Also, I have a friend that has a truck repair business, he's checking to see what I could get it at for cost. I'll install.
We ordered from Bud. You'll probably want a few upgrades and also you have to take into account freight. Freight to us was like 250.

Will all your existing fuel and raw water plumbing fit? That is more cost.

On our boat we also had to fabricate some extra spacers to mount the motor, again more cost.

When you have the motor out you'll want to change the cutless, zincs, service the stuffing box, possibly replace the shaft, etc etc. More expenses.

You'll probably have to recut/install the gauge cluster. More paint/wood/epoxy/etc.

All hose clamps will want a change while you're in there.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just saying that project scope creep def happens in a repower so 10k budget for the project is probably off. I think if you remove all the "other" stuff we did and just looked at purely what the engine repower alone cost us it would be around 13k. And we did almost all the work ourselves.

Will the old muffler work? Is the exhaust sized correctly? Do you have the stuff you already need for an antisiphon? More expense.

You'll need lots of extra bolts and probably new plates to mount the motor to.
etc etc etc.

The list goes on. Its not tons more than just the base cost of the engine but don't expect to spend 10k for a turn key job. I just see no way of doing that.