Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 16:01   #16
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I don't doubt you're right SKG, but if you've got the extra shekels, the Rafiki 37 is a really sweet cruiser (he says, giving his completely unbiased opinion ).
Yes, I know what you're saying Mike. I looked very closely at the R37. If you notice though, I said, " for the money ". I was having a hard time finding out about the cored hull, with Airx. I really like the R37 but after a grueling search, for over a year, concidering what would be best for my wife and I, and the budget, I kept coming back to the W32. It's tough as nails and has proven itself over and over again. I also love the way the W32 looks. To my eye, it's just a beautiful boat, as are many of the others mentioned in this thread. If you add everything up, that I think is required for long distance cruising, you can get there with the W32 for far less money than you would with say a Tayana 37 or a Baba 35. I've been over this and over it. For us, it's the W32.
__________________

__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 16:48   #17
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,030
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Yes, I know what you're saying Mike. I looked very closely at the R37. If you notice though, I said, " for the money "... I've been over this and over it. For us, it's the W32.
Absolutely agree. I love the W32. It's a great boat, a proven blue water cruiser, and lovely on the eyes. No doubt about it. And I'm sure you're right; it's the best boat you can get for the money, assuming you're into our kinds of boats.

For some reason which I do not understand, not everyone is .
__________________

__________________
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:31   #18
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Absolutely agree. I love the W32. It's a great boat, a proven blue water cruiser, and lovely on the eyes. No doubt about it. And I'm sure you're right; it's the best boat you can get for the money, assuming you're into our kinds of boats.

For some reason which I do not understand, not everyone is .
Yeah, I just like the heavy, salty looking boats. I won't have a boat that looks like a space ship. But not everybody has the same eye, " in the eye of the beholder " I guess.
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:50   #19
Registered User
 
Target9000's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans LA
Boat: 74 Westsail 32
Posts: 1,379
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Yeah, I just like the heavy, salty looking boats. I won't have a boat that looks like a space ship. But not everybody has the same eye, " in the eye of the beholder " I guess.
Whatever man. Everyone knows the W32 has the finest ass of any boat.

Anyone that says different is just hatin'.
__________________
Let your heart tell you where to go, but let your brain tell you how to get there.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:52   #20
Registered User
 
blueyama's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: The Search Is On!
Posts: 67
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Not to change the tone of the awesome conversation going down, just an update.
I added the Baba 35, Cabo Rico 38, Freya 39, Nor’Sea 27, Flicka 20, Tashiba 31, Mason 33

I'm not sure if all these boats fit into the same list but I added them anyways. They all seem to be good offshore sailboats however I will go through later and make some sort of guidelines or divisions to the list, price ceilings, etc. Anyone have any opinions on guidelines they would like to throw out there? No motorboats or tall ships with cannons; how about that for a start

-- Prices are in USD as of 2010 (if you would like another currency let
me know or convert it for me and I'll add it)


Alajuela 33
Baba 30
— $50k to 95k
Baba 35
Downeaster 38
— $35k to $79k
Dreadnaughts
Fantasia 35
Flicka 20
— $10k to $50k
Fuji 32 | 35
Freya 39
— $50k to $100k
Hans Christian 33
Ingrid 38
— $35k – $79k
Kendalls
Liberty 28
Mariner 31 | 32
Nor’Sea 27
— $28k to $62k (as of 2007)
Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31
Panda 38
— $100k to $160k
Rafiki 35 | 37
Sea Sprite 28 | 30
Shannon 28
Skookum 34
Southern Cross 31
Tashiba 31
— $70k to $90K?
Tashing Mason 33
True North 34
Tayana 37
— $30k to $75k
Union 32 | 36
Valiant 32
Valiant 40
— $60k to $280k (way to pricey!)
>> Westsail
— $30k to $55k
Willard 8 Ton
__________________
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 18:58   #21
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Talking Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Whatever man. Everyone knows the W32 has the finest ass of any boat.

Anyone that says different is just hatin'.
Yeah, hatin they don't have one. Ha
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:19   #22
Registered User
 
blueyama's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: The Search Is On!
Posts: 67
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Oops! I dont have a price for the "Downeaster 38" thats a typo I duplicated the price for the "Ingrid 38" it seems by some mysterious way unbeknownst me.
__________________
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 20:53   #23
Registered User
 
endoftheroad's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Key West
Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Posts: 1,159
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
Not to change the tone of the awesome conversation going down, just an update.
I added the Baba 35, Cabo Rico 38, Freya 39, Nor’Sea 27, Flicka 20, Tashiba 31, Mason 33

I'm not sure if all these boats fit into the same list but I added them anyways. They all seem to be good offshore sailboats however I will go through later and make some sort of guidelines or divisions to the list, price ceilings, etc. Anyone have any opinions on guidelines they would like to throw out there? No motorboats or tall ships with cannons; how about that for a start

-- Prices are in USD as of 2010 (if you would like another currency let
me know or convert it for me and I'll add it)


Alajuela 33
Baba 30
— $50k to 95k
Baba 35
Downeaster 38
— $35k to $79k
Dreadnaughts
Fantasia 35
Flicka 20
— $10k to $50k
Fuji 32 | 35
Freya 39
— $50k to $100k
Hans Christian 33
Ingrid 38
— $35k – $79k
Kendalls
Liberty 28
Mariner 31 | 32
Nor’Sea 27
— $28k to $62k (as of 2007)
Pacific Seacraft Mariah 31
Panda 38
— $100k to $160k
Rafiki 35 | 37
Sea Sprite 28 | 30
Shannon 28
Skookum 34
Southern Cross 31
Tashiba 31
— $70k to $90K?
Tashing Mason 33
True North 34
Tayana 37
— $30k to $75k
Union 32 | 36
Valiant 32
Valiant 40
— $60k to $280k (way to pricey!)
>> Westsail
— $30k to $55k
Willard 8 Ton
Could that price for the Tayana 37 be a Fixer Upper?
__________________
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 22:13   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Roberts Creek, BC
Posts: 23
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Some more for the list...Bristol Channel Cutter, Coast 34, Jason 35, Cape George Cutters and if you can afford a custom there's the Falmouth Cutter 34.
__________________
knots2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:37   #25
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Whatever man. Everyone knows the W32 has the finest ass of any boat.

Anyone that says different is just hatin'.

Naaa...This has the sexiest hips and ass...A Cherubini.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cherubini.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	38694  
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:53   #26
Registered User
 
blueyama's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: The Search Is On!
Posts: 67
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Could that price for the Tayana 37 be a Fixer Upper?
I grabbed a few prices from Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org (which is for some reason down at the moment) however the prices aren't too often but maybe a tad conservative. Here is a nice older Tayana 37 for 59k http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2425739
__________________
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 23:54   #27
Registered User
 
blueyama's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bradenton, FL
Boat: The Search Is On!
Posts: 67
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

knots2u I'll add them in the next list
__________________
blueyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 00:56   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 207
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

check out Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org for a few others as well
__________________
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 06:24   #29
Registered User
 
SKG56's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Afghanistan, Iraq,Thailand, WA State
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 222
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyama View Post
I grabbed a few prices from Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org (which is for some reason down at the moment) however the prices aren't too often but maybe a tad conservative. Here is a nice older Tayana 37 for 59k http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2425739
I've had surveyors do walkthroughs and take photos, of 5 boats in the last 6 months to see if I might make an offer and if accepted have a full survey done. The locations have been from Washington State to Florida to Rio Dulce, Guatemala. In every case the boat was not as it was being portrayed in the listings, even the photos were years old. Some brokers will be honest with you, some won't. Several of these boats I was dealing with the owner, and the vessels were not in the condition that they were describing. I didn't have anybody look at the T37 above, but I've known about it for some time. I have a file on every T37, Union 36, Rafiki 37, Baba 35, Hans Christian 38, Young Sun 35, Westsail 32, Cabo Rico 38, and some others, that's being listed from Yachtworld, Latitude 38, Sailboat Listings, Texas Sailing, Boat Trader, Ebay, Craigslist, and more. When some of these guys on this forum say you'll put the same amount of money in the boat that you paid for it, believe it. I'm talking about a boat that's going to outfitted for long distance cruising. The W32 I'm buying is not listed, and am having Bud Taplin look at it for me. All the photos I have are a week to two weeks old. I'm pretty sure this ones it. If your serious about owning and using a serious bluewater boat for what they were designed, do your homework, do it well.
__________________
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 07:37   #30
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,032
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

I have to add my own boat, the (Allied) Luders 33. Good blue water lines

Not as heavy as the Westsail, but Robin Lee Graham finished his circumnavigation on a sister ship.
Built like a tank with confidence inspiring deep keel in heavy weather, but surprisingly fast in light air as well. Tons of storage and plenty of room below.
A few for sale on yachtworld right now as well.
__________________

__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Westsail and Sister Boats blueyama Monohull Sailboats 88 16-12-2012 13:48
Leopard 40 Thoughts and Experiences Camp Director G Multihull Sailboats 32 10-06-2012 16:56
Marina"s Between San Pedro And Dana Point Ca Svsilvergirl Liveaboard's Forum 4 26-03-2012 10:09
Big Wheel and Hydraulic Steering Hannah on 'Rita T' Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 10-03-2012 14:19
Name Change - Folklore and Superstition Askopelos Boat Ownership & Making a Living 37 09-03-2012 20:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.