Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 14:54   #121

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
My pick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	parad0018r1.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	18353  

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 16:11   #122
Marine Service Provider

Vote on the 'Best Blue Water Cruising Sailboat of All Time

I must say that I am impressed!!! Some great responses.

Do you know if the Squid is for Sale????? And, although I like the Perini, I don't think my wife and I could handle her............. Well, maybe my wife could.

Actually, this is great to hear what you respondents came back with. I have been leaning hard towards the HR and I love the Island Packet and Cambria. Reality and price dictate a 5-6 year-old HR 46 or 48 though, but I have several questions about them: 1) The quality of the boat and the customer service of Hallberg Rassey are said to be lacking in the last number of years. 2) I always have a fear of cored hulls below the waterline, even closed-cell foam. 3) The rudder is laminated to the rudder post below the waterline and that tends to lead toward delamination over a period of time. 4) And, is the stability as good as a heavy displacement modified full keel? 5) The mast of the HR is stepped on the deck.

I realize there is no perfect blue water vessel, but one can try.
Old 08-08-2010, 20:24   #123

Boat: Catalina 30
Best Blue cruising sailboat of all time

I got lost with your reply about Chicken. Not sure what you are referring to.
Buy my Idylle 15.5 posted in Yachtworld and you will be more than satisfied with the German Frers design. Google Cayenne III. My wife and I cruised that boat for 12 years and were never in any danger, etc.
cayennita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 20:31   #124

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
That's not Squid, this is squid. But I love that boat and what they have done with it, cruising over 10,000 miles in a 15 fter!!!!!

Check this out.
Microcruising in the Bahamas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Squid 1.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	18356  

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:33   #125
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennita View Post
I got lost with your reply about Chicken. Not sure what you are referring to.
Buy my Idylle 15.5 posted in Yachtworld and you will be more than satisfied with the German Frers design. Google Cayenne III. My wife and I cruised that boat for 12 years and were never in any danger, etc.
Prior to my taunt of "Chicken", no one seemed to be bold enough to commit to a recommendation of a "best boat". Truely, the best blue water cruiser is a matter of opinion, but I was looking for replies just like yours.
Thank you.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48   #126

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
Prior to my taunt of "Chicken", no one seemed to be bold enough to commit to a recommendation of a "best boat". Truely, the best blue water cruiser is a matter of opinion, but I was looking for replies just like yours.
Thank you.
So, what's your vote/opinion? Time to make a contribution ...
Old 09-08-2010, 05:53   #127
Marine Service Provider

Best Blue Water Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
So, what's your vote/opinion? Time to make a contribution ...
As per my previous post:
"I have been leaning hard towards the HR and I love the Island Packet and Cambria. Reality and price dictate a 5-6 year-old HR 46 or 48 though, but I have several questions about them: 1) The quality of the boat and the customer service of Hallberg Rassey are said to be lacking in the last number of years. 2) I always have a fear of cored hulls below the waterline, even closed-cell foam. 3) The rudder is laminated to the rudder post below the waterline and that tends to lead toward delamination over a period of time. 4) And, is the stability as good as a heavy displacement modified full keel? 5) The mast of the HR is stepped on the deck.

I realize there is no perfect blue water vessel, but one can try".
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11   #128

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
As per my previous post:
"I have been leaning hard towards the HR and I love the Island Packet and Cambria. Reality and price dictate a 5-6 year-old HR 46 or 48 though, but I have several questions about them: 1) The quality of the boat and the customer service of Hallberg Rassey are said to be lacking in the last number of years. 2) I always have a fear of cored hulls below the waterline, even closed-cell foam. 3) The rudder is laminated to the rudder post below the waterline and that tends to lead toward delamination over a period of time. 4) And, is the stability as good as a heavy displacement modified full keel? 5) The mast of the HR is stepped on the deck.

I realize there is no perfect blue water vessel, but one can try".
Ooops, guess I missed that.

Nice picks ... except for the IP. Sorry, but I just can't stand that beige color.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:20   #129
Marine Service Provider

Thumbs down Best Blue Water Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Ooops, guess I missed that.

Nice picks ... except for the IP. Sorry, but I just can't stand that beige color.
Yeah, that beige is kinda limp. In addition to the price, which I'm sure is justified by the quality, beige is a minor disqualifier. You know, I should have added Mason. Great boat if one can find a well maintained one. And the price is more attractive than the HR.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:23   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Buccaneer 22
bayliner buccaneer 22' sailboat - Bathurst Sailboats For Sale - Kijiji Bathurst Canada.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 05:38   #131

Boat: Island trader, Ketch, 40.8ft, Vagabond
My boat. I love my boat I hate my boat. 41ft Island Trader well best crusier I ever had.
redmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 07:41   #132
Marine Service Provider

I love the lines of a Vagabond and I like the looks and easy sail plan of a ketch. I'd have one if I thought I could sell it down the line.
Old 24-08-2010, 08:26   #133

Boat: in between boats
catalina 36

I am currently boatlless in AZ, am seriously looking at the Catalina 36. Coastal cruiser, sure. I am not so sure how far from coastal I will ever get anyway. Why is it, that from what I hear and read, no matter where you go, far to sea, you will always find a Catalina 36 or two sharing your anchorage? They seem to hold their value well and are unquestionably the roomiest 36 ever made and easily sailed by a crew of two or singlehanded. For all the Catalina bashers out there, Frank Butler and Catalina Yachts is still in business and has sold more boats than any builder.
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 08:43   #134
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=larryb;508176]I am currently boatlless in AZ, am seriously looking at the Catalina 36. Coastal cruiser, sure. I am not so sure how far from coastal I will ever get anyway. Why is it, that from what I hear and read, no matter where you go, far to sea, you will always find a Catalina 36 or two sharing your anchorage? They seem to hold their value well and are unquestionably the roomiest 36 ever made and easily sailed by a crew of two or singlehanded. For all the Catalina bashers out there, Frank Butler and Catalina Yachts is still in business and has sold more boats than any
builder.
[QUOTE]
I believe that everything is relative: As long as it floats, doesn't break often and doesn't require vast amounts of time for maintenance, any boat will work. That being said, I don't think I would venture very far offshore in most of the current "roomy" boats being produced today. Most of them are designed for comfort in the slip and well appointed for entertainment. At sea, "roomy" equates to being thrown all over the cabin in bad weather. It's all in what you want.
Old 24-08-2010, 09:18   #135
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
island trader --formosa-ct-hardin, vagabond--we love to love and we love to hate our boats. leaky teaky yacht club on yahoo groups is a good place to share info and learn how to fix your leaky teaky--i am proud to say mine isnt a leaky kind of teaky anymore--soon will be sailing... love these taiwanese chinese water torture devices they call boats--particularly leaky teakies..beautiful boats and impressive sailing at ye with a bone in their teeth......

oh--- there is NO "BEST blue water cruiser"--IS ALL OPINIONS.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cruising, sailboat