Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2017, 10:18   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Visiting foreign ports without insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Mexico doesn't require insurance to clear in, I wasn't asked for it in Isla, and Cozumel asked but allowed me to explain why I didn't have it.
what IS law in mexico apparently has yet to become practice in east mexico. it will, as uniformity is the goal.
mexico as a nation REQUIRES insurance, liability, for use of boats in mexican waters. try needing and not having. oopsy. is similar to auto ins. requirements in mexico.
what year were you in east mexico??
this admin/regime is a bit stricter on legalities than last one was.
good luck travelling mexico illegally, including insurance legalities.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 10:23   #32

Boat: Van de Stadt, Samoa, 47

So what happens when you are in a foreign anchorage, some cruiser comes in accidentally picks up your Anchor while they are anchoring. They panic, drop yours, you drift off onto the rocks. You lose your $15k boat, and end up in an expensive hotel, plus repatriation flights and just to cap it all a big bill for the oil cleanup of your wreck. Hell you rush up to the guy who caused the problem and demand he pays all your costs.............But guess what?
Andy on Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:06   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
what IS law in mexico apparently has yet to become practice in east mexico. it will, as uniformity is the goal.
mexico as a nation REQUIRES insurance, liability, for use of boats in mexican waters. try needing and not having. oopsy. is similar to auto ins. requirements in mexico.
what year were you in east mexico??
this admin/regime is a bit stricter on legalities than last one was.
good luck travelling mexico illegally, including insurance legalities.
I am here now. Cleared in at Cozumel. They had me write a letter explaining why I didn't have it. Same thing when I cleared out of Cozumel in 2012 and clearing in to Isla they don't ask either. Yes I agree that I should have it. I can probably get a Mexican liability policy for my boat but I can't even get any American companies to return my inquiries. My boat is a one of a kind plywood catamaran. Also fishing licenses don't seem to be an issue around here. No one here has ever even mentioned them. Does anyone have a link to buy Mexican liability online?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:09   #34
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

novamar.
dont have linky.
they are good, momma buys it for me yearly at 185 usd annually. usa companies donot work. must have feet in mex.
ace is strictly mex, not good anywhere else. is why i.like novamar.
i have no wifi at present, or i would add linky.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:17   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
My anchor held in 50 knots+ I don't drag.

That's cute
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:21   #36

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
You need to find a different hobby to protect the rest of us! For the sake of
A few bucks for liability you say to hell with everybody else! Liability insurance is cheap, get some, think of somebody beside yourself 😡
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:53   #37

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=donradcliffe;2393307]Liability insurance is relatively cheap if you stay in one area. If you want to get a policy that covers you everywhere, it gets really expensive. The problem is that your insurance issuer has to have a local subsidiary or partner in every country you go to, and most of them don't.

So what is the point of the insurance? On the usual trip from California to Florida, once you leave MX there is not going to be an insurance adjuster till maybe Panama City. Once you leave Panama there won't be another one till Maybe Cancun, MX. I can't imagine an insurance company is going to take someones word for the damage.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:59   #38

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
VAriant, if you come to Australia and want to use a marina, boatyard or slipway, you WILL be required to have at least third party (liability) insurance, and to the tune of 5 million AUD coverage. Yep, 5 million! This is not optional in any sense, and in most places you will be required to show a copy of the policy to be admitted.

Further, your belief that you will NEVER drag is laughable. There are various factors beyound your control that can lead you to damaging another's property, and frankly, you don't sound like you have the reserves to cover such damages out of pocket. It may be your desire to practice "My idea of sailing is to just go, to feel free", but to go without the means of covering potential liabilities is pretty damn irresponsible IMO.

We've seen enough sad evidence to have some strong feelings about this, so even if the country that you visit does not have legal requirements for some insurance, some coverage is morally required if you are to be a member of the international cruising community.

Fortunately, third party insurance is not terribly expensive. Here in Oz our cost is about 350 USD per year FWIW. I'd rather spend that on good wine, but the reality is that the insurance is both functionally and responsibly needed.

Jim

I for one am glad to have no interest in sailing to the land of Oz. Thanks for the information needed to just scratch it off of my list along with most of the US.
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:13   #39

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

[QUOTE=Guy;2393741]
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Liability insurance is relatively cheap if you stay in one area. If you want to get a policy that covers you everywhere, it gets really expensive...
I guess it depends on what you call 'expensive'; but we've £5 million, so close to US$6.5M cover, through a major Lloyds Insurance Broker, for cover anywhere in the world that we've been so far for less than £200/$250 a year.

Wasn't that 'I don't/won't drag anchor' quote a peach; I just wish I was that infallible.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:28   #40

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
If you decide not to insure, please spend $10 on a can of paint and paint "No Insurance" on both sides of your boat so I'll know to pull up and move if you anchor near me. Because stuff happens.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:36   #41

Just out of curiosity, why would a survey be required for liability only? I could certainly see a resume of sailing experience or something similar. And I can see why an insurer would want to check a boat before providing insurance on it but a really beautiful or new boat can damage someone else's property just as easily as an old junker.
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:39   #42

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

All these answers suggest one further question. Is there any insurance on the market that covers you for potential liability only in port and or at anchor within 3 nautical miles of land? Everything else is excluded? And, if so, is there a cost benefit over the usual coverage? I've never sailed internationally with insurance, but it sounds increasingly necessary to actually arrive and stay even for a short time. And yes, my anchor and anchors have dragged. So has my rear.
Old 15-05-2017, 12:41   #43
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I just purchased a liability policy online through Novamar. Now I should be legal here!
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 12:41   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy on Destiny View Post
So what happens when you are in a foreign anchorage, some cruiser comes in accidentally picks up your Anchor while they are anchoring. They panic, drop yours, you drift off onto the rocks. You lose your $15k boat, and end up in an expensive hotel, plus repatriation flights and just to cap it all a big bill for the oil cleanup of your wreck. Hell you rush up to the guy who caused the problem and demand he pays all your costs.............But guess what?
What is there to guess. And the OP said he would accept the risk, so now you are his amah?
Old 15-05-2017, 12:44   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
You need to find a different hobby to protect the rest of us! For the sake of
A few bucks for liability you say to hell with everybody else! Liability insurance is cheap, get some, think of somebody beside yourself 😡
Since you are worried, please start a crown fund of the worried to pay for the coverage of those you do not have it. You can jolly well buy coverage to protect yourself against the great uninsured.

Tags
insurance, ports