Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-04-2010, 20:00   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
To Bottom Paint, or Not to Bottom Paint (or Just a Touch-Up)

Hello all,

I am trying to decide whether or not to have my marina scrape and paint the bottom again this year on my 1978 Pearson 26.

I just had them do it last year. I wasn't expecting to need another painting so soon, but the paint has chipped in a few places on the hull and there are a few spots of rust showing through on the iron keel (the keel was ground down and resealed and overall it is still looking pretty fresh... I put some POR-15 on the small rust spots to forestall any corrosion until grinding becomes necessary again).

To complicate matters slightly, I also recently patched up 4 old thru-hull fittings and I now have 4 patches of bare fiberglass I need to cover up.

So here is my question: Should I really dish out another $350 bucks for the marina to repaint the keel, or can I touch it up myself? Even if the marina does it, do I need to prime the bare spots or should I have them do that too? The local marine store sells sandless primer and bottom paint for about $75 combined. Is the bottom paint still lethal and illegal to do myself even if I don't spray it? And if I brush it on, is it effective?

I am on a tight budget here and I hate the idea of paying the marina to scrape and repaint the bottom if 90% of it is fine. Any insights into how I can safely and effectively do this myself?
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint