Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 05:13   #16

Boat: Cal 39, Mark II -
Cal 39....

Jim, thank...saw that link, but was unable to get to the page....when I would click or cut and paste the link, it was taking me to the site, but the page you are referring to was not there.

If you have the site saved, would you please send me the link in a reply to this one?

Thanks much. BTW, you are in Hampton?

C
Boomerang! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 04:23   #17

Re: The Cal 39

Ive got one to and did a bit of a refit in the chesapeake as it was on the hard for two years, sailed with my girlfriend who hadnt ever been on a sail boat in her life befoer and took of for bermuda, the fridge wasnt working,the fuel tank leaked but i had a new quatum gennie and old main she sailed fast and true after bermuda we lainched for Antigua and did that in good time for a forty footer now fitting a descent fridge and new main and stack pak and st60 stuff with the whell pilot so i dont have to stay awake 23 hours a day almost ready for the Pacific and Indo What a great sea boat i would say its more comfortable then the 85 meter one iam sitting on now Go Cal ill c ya out there
Fletchasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40   #18

Boat: Irwin Citation 35
Send a message via Skype™ to jbpollock

I'm relatively new to the CF, but I just wanted to mention that these threads can be informative even if dated (@ Don Lucas above). I'm looking now for a liveaboard and came up with this 1980 CAL 39 in the Bay Area:
Cal 39 Sailboat 1980

The links above are dated. Anybody have any more input?
Thanks, Joe
jbpollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:55   #19

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

No new input but just saying...4 years after the original post...I found the thread helpful too!! I've been boat shopping since 2005...lol
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:04   #20

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hi DC! If you are a SCUBA diver, you need a speedboat that can carry three tanks per diver, with a max capacity of 6 divers. Let me know when you found your boat! <PADI Divemaster>
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 13:50   #21

Boat: Hans Christian 43

Ive been looking at Cal 39's for a while now for a cruiser. I just sailed my Cal 29 down the west coast from LA to San Carlos where I found a 1971 Cal 39. I am saving up to buy her and should have the money in march if not sooner. She has tiller steer which I think im attracted to for cockpit space while anchored expecially will the small seagoing cockpit. I will let everyone know what my thoughts are on the cal after I buy her if its not already gone. There is a shoal draft tall rig in Hawaii that I am intersted in also.

We plan on living aboard in Mexico and the Carribean, possibly the Med. There have been a couple that have circumnavigated and quite a few that I've heard of crossing the Atlantic.

While I have not personaly sailed on the Call 39, I have sailed my Cal 29 and completly and uterly love that boat. I will hate to give her up...
helmanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 19:46   #22

Boat: 1984 Cal 39 Mark III tall rig

Hey folks,

I just bought my 1984 Cal 39 Mark III tall rig, about 3 months ago and sailed it down from Woods Hole to Baltimore, The Anchorage, where I'm keeping it for the forseeable future. I see where several of the Cal owners are here, or close, and would love to liaise with any and all on any help offered as I bring systems up to date, or just need to fix. Also, just to throw in, I'm amazed at the way she handles in any kind of air. Had her out last weekend on the Chesapeake in 25 kt winds and she cut right thru 4 -6 @ 6.5 - 7 kt's unreefed main and 110 jib.

I have a 44 HP Universal M-50 thats overheating above 2000 RPM's, but'll run for 12 hours humming @ 2000. Nevertheless, I obviously need to address the overheating issue. The guy I bought this from moored off of his property directly on Buzzard's Bay and day-sailed it for 15 yrs, never using anything below the hatch, with exception of replacing fabric and head.
My immediate issue, if anyone can lend some help,is my water pump, supposed to have been new a year ago, worked fine for 2 weeks on the water. Last day coming into bmore, its dead. It has been over 30 years since i've actively sailed for any real amount of time, and never WAS mechanically inclined, so any knowledge or technical help would really be appreciated. What I really could use, if you happened to be reading this, is the person on the Chesapeake who has the Cal 39, I think also in Bmore,to please give me your cell so I can talk turkey with you. Also, the fellow in Towson who's a Cal owner, would love your # too.
Thanks in advance,

Marty
martyhasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:26   #23

Boat: Cal 39, Karma

Hi Marty. I have a 1984 Cal 39 Mark III tall rig located in Hampton, Va. Have the same problem of overheating at higher rpms. Changed out the heat exchanger, had the fuel injectors rebuilt and flushed the fresh water coolant. Still overheat at high rpms but runs great at 1900-2000. Don't have anything else to offer. Let me know if you get down to the lower Chesapeake .
jimking100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:48   #24

Boat: Cal 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyhasson View Post
Hey folks,

I just bought my 1984 Cal 39 Mark III tall rig, about 3 months ago and sailed it down from Woods Hole to Baltimore, The Anchorage, where I'm keeping it for the forseeable future. I see where several of the Cal owners are here, or close, and would love to liaise with any and all on any help offered as I bring systems up to date, or just need to fix. Also, just to throw in, I'm amazed at the way she handles in any kind of air. Had her out last weekend on the Chesapeake in 25 kt winds and she cut right thru 4 -6 @ 6.5 - 7 kt's unreefed main and 110 jib.

I have a 44 HP Universal M-50 thats overheating above 2000 RPM's, but'll run for 12 hours humming @ 2000. Nevertheless, I obviously need to address the overheating issue. The guy I bought this from moored off of his property directly on Buzzard's Bay and day-sailed it for 15 yrs, never using anything below the hatch, with exception of replacing fabric and head.
My immediate issue, if anyone can lend some help,is my water pump, supposed to have been new a year ago, worked fine for 2 weeks on the water. Last day coming into bmore, its dead. It has been over 30 years since i've actively sailed for any real amount of time, and never WAS mechanically inclined, so any knowledge or technical help would really be appreciated. What I really could use, if you happened to be reading this, is the person on the Chesapeake who has the Cal 39, I think also in Bmore,to please give me your cell so I can talk turkey with you. Also, the fellow in Towson who's a Cal owner, would love your # too.
Thanks in advance,

Marty
Marty

I just bought a 1983 Cal 39 Mk III I that I keep in Solomon's Island. While I can't help much on your problems with your diesel since I have a Perkins 4-108 but I would certainly be happy to share any info and experience with other things. Plus if you get down to the middle of the bay it would be great to swap stories.

Jim
jim1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37   #25

Check out your heat exchanger it probably needs cleaning
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 17:27   #26

Hi jim which cal did u buy the one advertised by paul at soyb? I bought a mk 111 of him 3 years ago now in a cyclone hole in Fiji getting some awlgrip bloody long way from solomons i can tell ya !!! Marty kust tale the heat exchanger of sell for scrap and get a 3half inch one of the net there easy to put on and take off also you say your waterpp is Dead?? I presume you checked the impeller? If its not the impeller replace the whole waterpump unless you have somebody who can check the old one out for you without charging stupid money a normal auto mechanic can have a quick look for you as before save some money and take it off yourself peter
Fletchasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 17:35   #27

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Hey Jim,

Sounds like you've found yourself a good one! We have a 1982 Cal 39 MRK III (short stick with 5.5' shoal draft) that we're currently cruising in the Sea of Cortez. Our boat was repowered with a 37 hp, 3 cylinder Yanmar which, save for the horrible location of our raw water pump, has bee a joy to sail and live aboard.

You mentioned engine overheating. While I'm by no means a diesel expert, I will pass along a few suggestions (worth every penny you're paying me...lol) you might want to consider. Since you also mentioned problems with your water pump (raw water pump?) the first obvious place to start is replacing the impeller and making sure any stray vanes that may have parted from the old impeller are cleared out of your heat exchanger. Checking or just outright changing the thermostat on your cooling system (reasonably inexpensive) is another step to consider. Something requiring a bit more of a time investment is to remove your exhaust elbow and have your mixing 'J' checked and boiled out to be sure it is clear of salt and build-up.

Lastly, something I just recently read suggested making a fresh water and vinegar solution, running your engine up to operating temperature, before shutting it down. Close your raw water intake through hull and open your raw water strainer (assuming you have one installed somewhere between your intake and the engine). Restart your engine and add the fresh water vinegar solution into the open strainer as the water level goes down. Once you've added all of the solution (and filled your engine's heat exchanger with this acidic solution), shut the engine down and allow it to sit for 8-12 hours.

The idea presented was this solution should dissolve most of the build up of salt in your engines heat exchanger and exhaust system. Restarting your engine, after closing your strainer and opening your raw water input through hull should flush this material out of your raw water cooling system and improve the efficiency of your heat exchanger. Hopefully, one of these approaches will help overcome the engine overheating you're currently experiencing at higher engine speeds.

As with all boats, there's always something to repair or upgrade. Fortunately, they're not as bad a British cars with regard to repair, but then again, that's part of the fun...isn't it? Hope you continue to enjoy your boat for many years to come and good luck with your cooling challenge. I'd be interested in hearing what you finally discover regarding the source of this problem.

Fair winds and smooth seas,

Peter
s/v Citla
currently in Marina de La Paz
Baja California Sur, Mexico
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:31   #28

Boat: Lipari 41

You may want to drop Robert Redford a note and ask him...he was on an ill-fated Cal 39 in 'All is Lost'
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2013, 17:17   #29

Boat: Cal 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchasurf View Post
Hi jim which cal did u buy the one advertised by paul at soyb? I bought a mk 111 of him 3 years ago now in a cyclone hole in Fiji getting some awlgrip bloody long way from solomons i can tell ya !!! Marty kust tale the heat exchanger of sell for scrap and get a 3half inch one of the net there easy to put on and take off also you say your waterpp is Dead?? I presume you checked the impeller? If its not the impeller replace the whole waterpump unless you have somebody who can check the old one out for you without charging stupid money a normal auto mechanic can have a quick look for you as before save some money and take it off yourself peter
Yes I but that one. Good condition but hated to put her up for the winter so soon. She's a deep draft (6'8") with a tall rig and sailed like a dream on the sea trial. Good luck in Fiji! Hope one day to be able to get to someplace like that.
jim1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 18:19   #30

Boat: 1978 Cal 39 MKII Tall Mast

Heya,

I bought my 1978 Cal 39 MKII Tall Rig over a year ago and now liveaboard. The largest conditions I've experienced so far were going around South Point, Hawaii with short period 8' waves and about 30 kts. That's a total guess on conditions (not too experienced on reading on site yet) but we triple reefed the main and rolled the furling in enough to keep the heel under control, and were unable to make hardly any progress upwind for 4 hours with the current and the chop. But she handled it well, it was fun and exhilarating and with the new, heavy standing rigging I felt safe and confident the whole time.

I have a Cal 39 blog containing maintenance completed, including unclogging the heat exchanger and raw water system, and will be adding trip logs, routes completed, more maintenance pages and photos in the near future.

Check out 1978 Cal 39 MkII Sailboat | Liveaboard, Trips and Maintenance for the Cal 39 blog.

Love the Cal!
beebopbogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal