Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2018, 18:25   #1

Should I fix or sell my boat?

Looking for advice. I own a Crown 28(similar to Cal 2-27) that needs a few things. I'm trying to determine my best course of action towards sailing this spring. I can't decide between hunkering down and completing the project or selling and picking up a vessel that is ready to sail. I know all old boats will need something and that it's never ending, but this one needs quite a lot... I should ad that I am a carpenter with a fair bit of experience in electrical and plumbing, so following is work that I would take on myself. I've just never done it before so it's hard to judge how much it may cost and how long it may take.
Here's what she needs(that I'm aware of)
- new wiring throughout, including up the mast.
- lights inside and out including mast lights.
- stanchions and chainplates pulled and reset(as far as I know the decks are dry and solid but things were starting to seep and I've already pulled the stanchions off)
- needs a mainsail(hoping for a used one)
- needs all new lines and tackle.
- needs standing rigging replaced.
- bottom paint was done last in may '15 and has been sitting on the hard for a year, so that needs doing.
There may also be an issue with the poorly done transom cutout which was not sealed properly. I'm dreading the idea of cutting rotten ply out of the transom...as one thing I have zero experience with is fiberglass. Staying positive.
It's a lot, I know. I paid too much for it already. What would you do? Light it on fire?
I'll post pictures if anyone's interested.
Ellevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 03:54   #2

Boat: B24
Re: Should I fix or sell my boat?

I’m guessing only you can answer the question; I’ve started projects on my boats and then grown inpatient for one artificial date or another and hired it out. And I’ve done the opposite for one reason or another. I don’t have your skills in any professional sense, but there is little on older boats that is beyond the modestly energetic amateur (cosmetics may suffer compared to some pros, however, so that can be a factor). Re-bedding hull/deck hardware is something of a rite-of-passage anyway, and on older boats it is taken for granted. Solution is to substitute cash for sweat equity. I’m with you on a used sails – unless you’re a racer, I’ve found no shortage entirely serviceable sails out there (and in any sails, a small amount of hand-stitching never hurt anyone…). Running rigging, well no matter what you buy, you’ll replace it eventually… My personal standard is I’ll use cash to speed things along, but not credit – but I’m cheap. I’ll tackle the two-wire 12-volt stuff, but am often tempted to leave the techno gizmos to the pros… Your mileage may vary…
Old 28-02-2018, 04:35   #3

Boat: Com-Pac Eclipse

Look around to see what's on the market, then it's decision time.

You might find something with fewer problems, but my guess is you're going to be better off working with what you have. You don't know until you see what's on the market.

g/l
NCGunDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 06:39   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We've worked/done repairs on lots of smaller boats and it will come down to several factors how you want to proceed.

Mostly it will be how will you use your boat. For day/weekend outings and a boat to learn how to sail, then this boat could work fine. Down the road you may get a different boat.

Unfortunately we can't see your boat and based on your description much of the work can be done by yourself and fairly quickly. As all boats it will be a learning experience. None of the work you described can't be done by yourself if you are willing to learn how to do them. In this case, it could be f/g work that will be your biggest challenge and most time consuming. In the end you'll start to learn how to f/g.

I hate leaky boats, so rebedding the stanchions/chain plates would be up there on the list to get done. Not sure I'd totally pull the chain plates (depends) when in most cases a fein tool would remove the old bedding cmpd.

Everybody usually overspends when refurbishing a boat. Your big ticket items will be sails, wire, lights, standing and running rigging. Depending on your intended use, does the standing rigging need to be replaced. Is it just "old" or is it damaged. Running rigging is a disposable item so no way around this and they will need to be replaced.

If the boat has sails try them first, then see what you really need. Most People sell used sails because they are old/stretched out and they probably are not designed for your boat. If the boat is worth it, buying a new main (made for your boat) will be like putting a new engine in your old car. It's really nice.

If the lights aren't broken, run new wiring and replace incandescent bulbs w/LEDs w/o breaking the bank.

Hopefully after more experience you will be able to "see" when looking at some of the used boats on the market, is it worth it to repair?? There's a ton of neglected boats out there for cheap, but are they more work/$$ to save than they are really worth.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:05   #5

Boat: Vancouver 27

Piling on to the other good advice, fiberglass work is very easy, esp for someone already skilled in the trades. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Your list looks fairly standard for an older boat. Doing the work yourself will pay dividends if you're planning to cruise far, as you will know the boat and it's systems that much better.

If the boat fits the bill for you, then it's probably worth fixing up. If you have an eye towards something different then maybe best to sell and start anew.

Good luck
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:32   #6

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Just a note, fiberglass or epoxy repairs are only slightly tougher than patching drywall in my opinion. Pretty much the same set of skills are required.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:35   #7

Wow! Thanks so much for all your thoughts and advice. I didn't expect such a fast and generous response!
I'll take a look at what's on the market around this size and age to see where I stand
Honestly, purchasing the parts I need is almost as daunting as the work. Not only do I not know what exactly I'm looking for, but it's also hard to gauge if I'm paying a fair price. Does it make any sense to order wiring, lights, lines, rigging, etc online? Does anyone know of a good website that will sell to a Canadian? I'm on Vancouver Island and it seems every shop around has a limited supply and charges unreasonable prices..
I'll post some pictures when I get them just for fun. Thanks again!
Ellevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:53   #8

I think you have to assess what's out there for the price. Many old boats will need the things you list. Not an unusual list for an old boat at all. How are the engine and tanks? But a new sail is expensive. Maybe look fo good used one and see where that leads you. Given a reasonable new ish mainsail I would finish the project I suppose.
The Crown 34 was a sturdy boat, my Brother in Law worked building them for a while. Maybe the 28 is also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:53   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

If "sailing this spring" is a key part of the equation, you need to determine/decide how much of the work listed needs to be performed before you go sailing. If the answer is "all of it" then you're not going sailing this spring if you do all the work yourself, unless you start now and work full time on it. I think you'd likely be better off selling and buying another boat. The punch list of work is pretty long and time consuming, particularly with you not having done it before.

Also, the list of stuff you need is pretty expensive in total. Marine grade wire for the entire boat and nav and interior lights is going to set you back $1,000+. New wire rigging is going to be a couple of grand. All new running rigging is going to be a few hundred bucks. You might want to put together a list with figures to get some sense of what this whole project will cost as part of your decision making.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellevan View Post
Wow! Thanks so much for all your thoughts and advice. I didn't expect such a fast and generous response!
I'll take a look at what's on the market around this size and age to see where I stand
Honestly, purchasing the parts I need is almost as daunting as the work. Not only do I not know what exactly I'm looking for, but it's also hard to gauge if I'm paying a fair price. Does it make any sense to order wiring, lights, lines, rigging, etc online? Does anyone know of a good website that will sell to a Canadian? I'm on Vancouver Island and it seems every shop around has a limited supply and charges unreasonable prices..
I assume Defender ships to Canada...? Their prices are good. For wiring be sure to get Tinned Copper with a high strand count.
You may need a lot of rigging wire. Can you do self installed fittings? That will be a lot cheaper than having a rigger do it. Buying wire in the raw is not that expensive. You may have ~$350 worth of 316 SS wire needed for that boat. Then there is fittings. Or places like West Marine will make up wires to your specification.

As Suijin says though, I doubt you are sailing this spring.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 09:36   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Looking for advice. I own a Crown 28(similar to Cal 2-27) that needs a few things. I'm trying to determine my best course of action towards sailing this spring. I can't decide between hunkering down and completing the project or selling and picking up a vessel that is ready to sail. I know all old boats will need something and that it's never ending, but this one needs quite a lot... I should ad that I am a carpenter with a fair bit of experience in electrical and plumbing, so following is work that I would take on myself. I've just never done it before so it's hard to judge how much it may cost and how long it may take.
Here's what she needs(that I'm aware of)
- new wiring throughout, including up the mast.
- lights inside and out including mast lights.
- stanchions and chainplates pulled and reset(as far as I know the decks are dry and solid but things were starting to seep and I've already pulled the stanchions off)
- needs a mainsail(hoping for a used one)
- needs all new lines and tackle.
- needs standing rigging replaced.
- bottom paint was done last in may '15 and has been sitting on the hard for a year, so that needs doing.
There may also be an issue with the poorly done transom cutout which was not sealed properly. I'm dreading the idea of cutting rotten ply out of the transom...as one thing I have zero experience with is fiberglass. Staying positive.
It's a lot, I know. I paid too much for it already. What would you do? Light it on fire?
I'll post pictures if anyone's interested.
Find a sailable boat!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:34   #12

Boat: '66 Bristol 39

Hi, make a complete list of repairs actually two, items that are necessary for your intent of use and items that can be completed later. Make an effort to itemize labor and materials, then double or triple it. Dont forget the yard fees and hauling fees. Then compare that to whats on the market. Ive done several project boats sometimes it work out and other times not, usually do to areas I missed when inspecting. Good luck. Also, if you have lead keel that could be worth close to $1/lb.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 10:59   #13

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Over the years I have noticed younger sailors seem to sail their boats. Older sailors seem to work on their boats. Remember, "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, as much fun as messing about in a boat." (The Walrus and the Carpenter in, The Wind in The Willows.) Since you seem to be of the younger crowd I would probably get a boat ready to sail. Or join a sailing/yacht club. Sail on OP boats. Even charter for a few weeks, bare boat. Try out different boats. Look for a screaming deal. They are around.

Keep working on the one you have or dump it. There are a lot of project boats sitting around in peoples back yards. There are reports of 63,000 fixers a bit East of you. Can U find a broker there to send you parts? A lot depends on your financial condition. Again that is age related.

Whether you keep or sell your boat it's a personal decision based on some of the points made here as thoughts, but only you can make and live with the final decision. Whatever, keep on boating.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 11:10   #14

Fixing a boat, DIY = $+time
Let the yard fix the boat = $$$
Buy a new, sailable boat minus sell the one that need fixing = $+lot of time
Discover that the "new sailable" boat has an unforeseen issue = ...

Result: I'd fix it. I know, it's a buyers market, but you'll be on the poor side when trying to sell a boat that needs fixing. Unless you live among 4-5 marinas, you'll travel to several candidates, hire a surveyor = $ and time, you could spend on your boat. Not to mention the price difference you'd get for yours and you'd pay for a nice equipped one.
Old 28-02-2018, 12:45   #15

Quote:
For parts, try Fisheries Supply in Seattle - major Northwest supplier of marine supplies. Their prices are much lower item for item and brand for brand than that national chain with a compass name. Web: www.fisheriessupply.com Set up an account and you'll get a 10 % discount on most items.
Dick Manning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat