Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2018, 15:21   #1

Sailboat make/model advice: Young couple looking for a coastal cruising boat in PNW

Hi all!

My husband and I are looking for a used, monohull, 30-34 ft coastal cruiser to sail around in the San Juans, Puget Sound, Vancouver Island area.

While it's just us right now, we will likely be having kids within the next couple years. We are also planning on selling this boat and upgrading to a bluewater cruiser in the next several years so we want the boat we buy to maintain its value and be easy to sell when it comes time. We do not want a fixer upper as we just don't have the time, so we've budgeted $70k. My husband also has his captain's license so we're thinking of doing some skippered charters.

We've spoken with a broker and looked around at a few boats, but we wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for specific makes and models that meet the following qualifications:

-30-34 ft sloop
-Less than $70k
-Aft cabin (must have)
-No tiller (so it's easier for guests to steer)
-Preferable if both the aft cabin and v-berth have closable doors for privacy
-Comfortable cockpit
-Comfortable cabin with an L-shaped bench/couch, with the table lowering down to make another larger bed
-Sails fast (but isn't a racer. we've done a lot of racing and want a boat that was designed for a small family, not a bunch of racers and delivery guys).

In general we like the layouts of Beneteaus and Catalinas. We really like the Beneteau Oceanis 31. The only downside is that the dining table in the cabin does not lower down to transform the sette into a bigger bed.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
mfujio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 15:34   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Sailboat make/model advice: Young couple looking for a coastal cruising boat in P

With 70k of budget you can easily buy a 38 or 41 feet production boat with 3 or 4 cabin and prepare and use it for Bluewater sailing and you won't need to sell it later .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 15:37   #3

Re: Sailboat make/model advice: Young couple looking for a coastal cruising boat in P

Thanks, @gmakhs. The winds can be light/shifty in the San Juans, so it's easier to sail with a smaller boat (which is preferable to us instead of motoring around on a larger one).
mfujio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 16:16   #4

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Then go for 34 feet if you intent to have paid guests but I wouldn't recommend smaller .
Else a 30 footer will be great for you , but 70k are way to much for that size .

There are some nice designs out there I personally like beneteu firsts (the fincot designs ) and have seen some nice janneue ( janneue sunlight 30) or sunshine 34 those can be found from 20 to 40 k on the market and you can spend the rest cruising or making them look pretier

I don't really agree with the resale value because you never really know if you will take some of your money back .

Whatever you decide to buy , I wish you good luck and have happy times at sea
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 16:49   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfujio View Post
Thanks, @gmakhs. The winds can be light/shifty in the San Juans, so it's easier to sail with a smaller boat (which is preferable to us instead of motoring around on a larger one).
I don't agree that larger boats are harder to sail in light winds, and wonder why you have come to that conclusion?

Ease and success of light air sailing is more related to design parameters than to OAL. Our 46 foot boat is a joy to sail in light airs, mostly due to her hull shape, light displacement and good SA to D numbers. She is certainly no harder to sail than our previous 30 and 36 foot yachts. Sanding the bottom for paint prep is a different matter!

You should buy a boat that pleases you, of course, but I reckon that finding a smallish boat that meets your stipulated requirements will be pretty hard, so some reconsideration might be in order.

Jim
Old 14-06-2018, 19:18   #6

Remember that to charter your boat in the US, it has to have been U.S. manufactured. That leaves out many of the common boats. Even though they are not my favorite boat, if you want a boat with good resale value and be able to charter legally , you might consider a Catalina. The factory is still operating for quick parts if you have charters booked and need repairs. Just something to think about before you make a business decision. Good Luck, Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 19:36   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah, I was going to say it sounds like you are describing a Catalina 34. It sounds like it has what you are describing and they tend to hold value well. But when you say "aft cabin" do you mean center cockpit or just a cabin/bunk aft with a door for privacy?I used to charter a 34 and a 36, and they do very well in light air.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 05:38   #8

Boat: Ranger 29 tug, C&C 34/36

Take a look at the C&C 34/36+ for sale in your area (on Yachtworld). It hits all of your criteria with the exception of price, but that boat is WAY over priced and should sell for no more than $70,000.

As for sailing abilities and offshore qualities it gets the job done. Excellent upwind sailer due to the deep keel and can handle rough weather. Don't ask me how I know.

I've owned mine for 23 years and will continue to own due to its abilities and excellent layout. The separate shower room is an incredible bonus.

1991 C&C 34 Plus Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com listing#.WyO0NDu0XmQ
2savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 06:17   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

In 2014 I bumped into an issue where Boat US didn't want to insure any Seattle based boats of under 34’ for sailing to AK. All of BC was ok but I highly recommend you’d go all the way to Glacier Bay if you have the time and opportunity.

I would also add good insulation and heating to your criteria. Decent insulation is nearly impossible to find though.

And if it were me, but contradicting your desire for fast sailing, I’d go with something with big windows with preferably a 270 to 360 degre view from a sitting position in the saloon, preferability with a piloting station for motoring through cold and wet weather. A Nauticat for example. It will allow you to enjoy the boat all year long instead of just a few months.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 08:59   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I know you said monohull but you might want to take a look at a Gemini cat. They are 32 to 34' and will fit in a normal slip and will have twice the room or more than the same size mono. Way safer for your future little ones and made in the US so easier to charter out. They only draw a 21" with the centerboards up and can be beached.

There's one in Poulsbo for $109K. I'm not sure if you can get it for $70K but it has been for sale for a year. They made over a 1000 of these so they come up for sale often. And they can be trucked.

2004 Gemini 105Mc Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 15-06-2018, 09:06   #11

Boat: Jeanneau, 39i, 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to amanoni

Just to pipe in here. I started similar with a C&C34 (which I still own a share of) to gain all the practical experience with cruising and sailing with my wife. I opted to partner with a couple friends (and they still are :-). We looked at that time at the Catalina 34, the C&C, Beneteau, San Jaun, Jeanneau. Pretty much the list of production boats available in the Seattle area.

We opted for the C&C34. Paid around 22500 for it and did about 6 k of work to her. Great sailing boat. In 2016 we then upgraded to a larger production boat the Jeanneau 39i. LOVE THIS BOAT. We cruise all around the sound, Canada, Desolation sound, islands etc. Plans are next year to head south with the Coho HoHo to Mexico. THen decide if we want to go further or ...

ANyway. There are great boats to be had around Seattle. But be sure to do a lot of looking, and at various builder and models. Oh and be sure when you are looking at boats, bring a flashlight to see into all the nooks and crannys.
amanoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:14   #12

Boat: Boatless

I have your boat! It’s actually in Florida at the moment just back from the Bahamas.

1994 Hunter Legend sailboat for sale in Connecticut

Read “hunter, really” on blog www.sailingohana.com

Would be a great delivery!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87B3FAB3-B5B5-4ED6-A6F3-96E3BF9B9B80.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	171774  
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 09:45   #13

Boat: Catalina 42

Catalina 36
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:02   #14

Sabre (built in Maine) built an aft cabin version of their 34, the Sabre 34 Targa.

SABRE 34-2 (AFT-CABIN) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 10:10   #15

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I believe you can get an exemption for the Jones act to allow a foreign built charter. As I recall it costs a few hundred bucks and 4-6 months wait.

Tags
boat, cruising, model, sail, sailboat