Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2017, 00:58   #1

SAILBOAT EXPERT NEEDED

Hello everyone,

I'm about to buy my first sailboat soon. There is a 32ft Beneteau for sale. I really want to buy this boat, but since I'm new to sailboats, I don't want to be alone there to decide whether to buy it or not. So, I need someone in New York who can come with me to check out the boat to make sure it is a good buy. The boat is located in Staten Island, New York. And I will probably go there on January 4th 2018. I can pay the person. Also, if you know anyone in New York, or any company that does that, let me know. I'm a professional windsurfer, and I know how stuff gets worn out inside, but looks just perfect. So, someone who does not know about windsurfing may buy a board/sail when it has a good price without knowing where to specifically check. So, I want to hire someone that knows where to check, and that is familiar with sailboats.

Thanks!!!
aurg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 01:21   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: SAILBOAT EXPERT NEEDED

A professional that checks out boats on account of a buyer is called a surveyer. Look up surveyers in NY area, but some forum member will give you names I am sure.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 02:12   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

I would suggest you go and have a first impression of the vessel, and if you think, it looks OK and really want to make an offer, then make an offer with pre-conditions the survey will not show serious issues, hire a surveyor, it will cost you around 1000$ + haul-out for hull inspection + rudders etc. + inspection of all systems on board, rigging, oil analysis + a sea trial. In the end you will have a valuation of the boat and a to-do list.

Then do a re-negotiation related to the findings and hopefully a closing.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 02:36   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Definitely check her out first before you call in the professionals. Yesterday I went to survey a power boat and in less than 15 minutes I told the buyer to walk away. There was so much rotten deck core that the deck was sagging as I was walking around. An inspection on the inside showed plenty of water damage as well. It really was a waste of everyone's time just because the buyer did not check her out first.
Try and check out as much of the interior fibreglass work as possible. Take a photo of everything you do not understand or looks broken then when you get a surveyor you can forward the photographs to him so he has an idea of what the yacht is like. There is no such thing as a stupid question.
Also listen to the motor running. You do not have to be an expert but if it sounds rough and plenty of smoke is coming out the exhaust then you could have an issue.
It always makes my job easier if the owner has done a mini survey and identified some problem areas.
Good luck
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 02:37   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, aurg.

What CatNewBee (& others) said.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 02:44   #6

Thanks everyone!

I've found a list of surveyors in New York, and I emailed everyone on the list to get the best price. I will definitely do a mini survey by myself before calling the surveyor.
aurg92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 02:49   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Before doing your own initial mini survey, it will be worth reading this:
Marine Survey 101, Do your own marine survey
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat