Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2015, 16:17   #1

Rhodes 22 vs Tanzer 22 centerboard

Fall is a great time to find a boat for gunkholing. I have come across 2 likely candidates for around $1000. Both are in fair to good condition with 2 stroke engines and about the same vintage (late 70's). The Rhodes has a furler and spinnaker and may be in better shape. I like the idea ofpositive floatation. The Tanzer is sexier and I like the cabin layout better. From what I can tell from reading reviews, the Rhodes is dryer and has less weather helm, but the Tanzer may sail better and handle coastal adventures better. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I've owned a few larger boats and can do some work, but not going to accept a project boat. I just think that considering costs, the ability to easily singlehand and exploring the Chesapeake that a boat like this would be ideal, Now the question is , Which one?
diguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:46   #2

Boat: Alberg 35
Re: Rhodes 22 vs Tanzer 22 centerboard

I can't help you with the decision; I've never sailed a Rhodes 22. But I sailed a Tanzer 22 on Grand Traverse Bay and northern Lake Michigan for about five years. Mine was the fixed keel version.
Pluses...
- Really solid boat. I can't stress this enough. Lake Michigan can get sniffy and the Tanzer took it all, she was better than I was.
- I liked the layout. Obviously, it's small inside but all the space is usable and it's easy to build things or change them if you want.
- There's a big database of information from owners. There was an active users association; not sure how active it is now.
Minuses--
- The wiring/electrical system needed work
- Mine didn't have the vented cockpit locker for a gas tank; later models had this.
- The iron keel was always a problem due to rusting in fresh water; not sure about the center board in salt water.

If you get the Tanzer, I have a full set of used sails for it including two mains. I think I also have some old issues of Tanzer Talk around here. Contact me at jeaton237@gmail.com if you have questions or are interested.
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 18:43   #3

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Rhodes 22 vs Tanzer 22 centerboard

I have owned a 1981 K/CB Tanzer 22 (with trailer) from new. She has been everywhere between Baltimore and St Augustine (with a 25 mile missing spot in northern NC) and the entire length of the Tennessee River. The boat currently stays year round on a TVA lake in the Tennessee mountains where we have kept a slip since 1983 or 84.

The boat has been remarkably problem free for almost 35 years. I kept the keel and centerboard painted with epoxy paint covered with normal bottom paint and kept zincs (now magnesiums) on both the keel and centerboard. I've never had any serious rust problems. The boat has developed a dozen or so small blisters all since we stopped hauling it out for the winter. The cushions have been recovered once and are now due (past due) for replacement. A year or two ago I replaced the sheaves in several of the original blocks after the sun destroyed them. The main and genoa have been replaced once and a cruising spinnaker and storm jib have been added to the mix. We own both the original and the new style rudder.

We did most of our coastal sailing on one or two week vacations with our two (then young) daughters aboard with us. It was crowded, but it worked until the older daughter turned 15. Then....

In 2004 when my wife and I retired we bought a 34' Pacific Seacraft which we have taken to the Bahamas eight times. Irish Eyes to the Bahamas We did not part with the Tanzer.

There is still the Tanzer 22 website Tanzer 22 Class Association

There is an active Tanzer group on Yahoo https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/tanzer/info
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centerboard