Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 19:50   #1

Boat: Tanzer 22 - Sambuca
Tanzer 22 - Starting wiring from scratch again... (help!)

Hello all!

Our Tanzer 22 is in need of a complete overhaul (read: gut and re-wire) with regard to wiring. (here's to hoping I don't have to re-feed the wire the mast...)

I'm 100% competant with regard to wiring (I work in theatre), but I'm a little new to Marine Electrical code, and 12V systems.

Here's what we've got so far.

120V @ the dock
12V Battery Charger (Motomaster 10/2A 6/12V - Timed) (Product#11-1567-0)
SeaVolt 75AH (625MCA) 12V Battery

3 Switch/Fuse panel (made by... Seachoice?)
Bow Lights (Port/starboard - 12V)
Mast Light (Bow... half way up - 12V)
Cabin Lights (Kitchen/Bedroom - 12V) ... I'd like to replace with LED

12GA Marine extension cord
Metal GFI Power Bar
GFI Power adapter

What's missing (mandatory):
- 12V Hook-up for motor generator to charge battery (needs some kind of controller?) - is this even needed?
- 12V Hook-up for iCom M402S Radio

What's missing (optional... I'd like to add this, or at least add wiring harnesses so that I can add it later):
- 12V Hook-up for motor starter (future, guaranteed) (in-line breaker?)
- 12V Hook-up for 300W Inverter
- 12V Line for Bilge Pump (There may be one under the deck on the boat, small cylindrical unit, under the sink, no markings.)

- Solar Panel (15W) from Canadian Tire
- Solar Panel Charge Controller (also, Canadian Tire) (30A/450W)... I don't need 30A/450W, but the other unit (7A/105W) is only a cut-off circuit, no intelligent features.

Does anyone have photos of their Tanzer 22 all wired up?

Does anyone have any good pre-tested reliable set-ups?

Does anyone have any advice about the set-up of any of the above systems, even if you don't have the time to help me figure it out from start to finish, can you post your thoughts anyways?

Thanks! ...and I wish favorable winds to anyone that helps (and even to those that don't... maybe a few knots less :-P )
scottmcleod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 20:02   #2

Or... more importantly, can someone help me figgure out a SAFE and hands-free set-up for the battery that allows 120V (Charger) charging, a 12V Feed from the motor, and a 12V feed from a solar panel? (even if it's a matter of a 3-way switch.)... though some form of intelligent system would be better.
Old 01-06-2008, 20:50   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
A good place to start is the Blue Sea web site. Take a look at the 12 volt section. Then check out this website. There is lots more info on the web to help you do a proper job.

Boats, Yachts: Tips on Electrical System Use and Maintenance

Blue Sea Systems

When you have a specific question this is a good place to post it.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 21:28   #4

Thankyeh.

Here's a more specific question.

What do YOU use to manage your battery charging from multiple sources. How do you like it? How much was it? Why did you decide on that one?
Old 23-06-2013, 11:48   #5

Re: Tanzer 22 - Starting wiring from scratch again... (help!)

hi, just wanted to say my parents used to own this boat at the island marina...they had to come back to the UK before my dad died and had meant to keep it to return....i believe it got invaded by bees!!!! i have fond memories of the boat and wish you all the best and hope you have as happy a time with it as we all did )))
shell
shellvprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:21   #6

Hi Scott,

You have a fairly extensive list -which is good - but you might be overthinking some aspects of it, particularly the multiple charging situation.

Also - you should evaluate your need for AC wiring. Are you on a slip with 30 Amp AC? Are you ever intending to run any AC stuff when dockside, besides a battery charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcleod View Post
What do YOU use to manage your battery charging from multiple sources. How do you like it? How much was it? Why did you decide on that one?
According to your list you have only three possible charging systems - from AC, the outboard, and solar. The outboard likely has a bridge rectifier, which will isolate it from any other charger in the system. Most solar chargers have blocking diodes, so they won't care if another charger is connected either . Most AC chargers are similarly protected on the DC side.

btw, your AC charger (I have one too, in my workshop) it's not really meant for permanent mounting in a boat. The smaller 4/2 amp weather-resistant charger might be a better choice. Canadian Tire also have the intelligent "Nautilus" charger, on sale now for half-price, but I can't recommend it - there's nothing particularly 'marine' about it, besides a blue case, and one quit on me after only a year of very light use.

So for charging, not too much thinking is required, beyond having a convenient place to attach all their leads. A bus bar is nice, but many boaters simply stack up the charge leads on the battery terminal.

Lighting: two words for you - LED strips. These are the bees' knees in boats, and can be installed in all sorts of ways, and most are already set up for 12v. Dimmers are available too.

Treat yourself to one good basic book on boat electrical systems, to complement your existing knowledge. There are deep, exhaustive and highly technical books by some great authors, but if you're not about to make it your life's work, this one should suffice.

We have a small boat too. They're not the same as a 34' Beneteau Think simple.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:35   #7

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

Hi, Lake Effect. You may want to check the date of the OP !!!!!!
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 16:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgoat View Post
Hi, Lake Effect. You may want to check the date of the OP !!!!!!
-blush-

Ok. Thanks.

But... but... there's lots of Tanzer 22s out there.

Besides, I need the practice.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote