Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 20:47   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
1975 San Juan 24ft - Advice

Hey everyone,

Found a 24ft san juan on ebay thats in seattle up for auction.

Current bid is $10, but lacks quite a bit(engine and electronics). We are looking to get our own coastal cruiser, however have a limited budget(sub 2k).

We are willing to put time in and effort to clean up the boat to make it nice again, and repair what is needed.

I'm going to see if i can go see the boat in person on Thursday to get a better feel for the current state of the boat. We have been wanting a 24-27ft sloop as it would be perfect size for the gf and I to go to san juan islands over the weekend.

Heres the ebay listing: LF 1975 San Juan 24' Sailboat Washington | eBay

Anyone have any recommendations on things to look at/check? Any known problem areas on these boats? Any general new buyer advice on these types of situations?

Last thing i want to do is buy it, then find out i need an extra 20k to get her in decent shape. I can deal with 3-5k extra, but 20k is out of budget.

Thanks everyone!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 11:53   #2

Boat: Clark, San Juan 30
Re: 1975 San Juan 24ft - Advice

Greeting's I own a San Juan 30 a Half Tonner I bought in Kind of the same condition you are looking at I paid 2000 for mine was missing the engine the inboard It had a outboard mounted on it. The interior was completely gutted so I was checking on all the other things that I would have to repair. first thing I looked at was the condition of the sails were they in good shape or bad. I found them all to be in excellent shape. next was the Rigging what shape was it in He showed the receipts For all new rigging 8000 dollars worth done 4years prior. Was in excellent shape.12 So I checked it out ran the outboard check the fuel tank checked the holding tanks water a new bladder was installed 1 year prior as well. Bottom was full of mussels and kelp so I also had to fig on haul out cost so every checked deck softness hull damage I did the hual out at my expense Just for my soundness to visual know. Well after cleaning it and having a pro look it over it had never ever hit bottom the keel skid had no scratches at all not even a ding so I figured all the costs to redo all wiring install all new interior new foam were the seacocks in good shape and in working order. so after 3 days of fully checking everything from bow to stern this Boat was in awesome shape for a 30+ year old boat also I check other's listing for one fully complete but not in as good of shape as the one that was gutted rigging on all others was in need of replacement as well as Sails a new Jib 150 was 2900+ and the main was over 3k so I thought I am going to buy this one due all the things needed new electronics' that this one new never had it came with a compass and that's it. A lot of figuring for every cost you have to keep in mind the jib hardware on the track are 200 each what shape are they in. I put 15000 worth of material to make the interior as comfortable as I possibility could My wife had to go onboard and you know women they want it nice. I spent 3700 for an engine 1000 for the hull cleaned and painted new lines for the Furler witch was in excellent condition by the way and after all being spent I now have a great Boat I mean a really great boat so ask your self this question do you want to spend a whole Summer repairing a boat to your standards are buy one all put together with still thing you will replace. Think about that it looks like in the pic's on ebay it is going to need a lot of work I have a friend selling a 21 foot sj complete for 2k with an engine and great rigging as well and Clean But I do have to tell you I had a great time refitting my Boat and it gets so many complements on my interior I made it My Sailing Vessel not someone else's Electronic's are expensive and a good Vhf will run you 300+ mine has it all it has taken a few years to get everything but Baby steps auto pilot will run 600+ I wish you good luck on what ever you choose But is the old term what my friends say BOAT bank on another Thousand I have to pay Moorage fee's as well witch is 220 per month even though I live right on the water Mooring Buoy is not allowed so in seattle I was paying for a 34' slip 409 per month I got a new home up north where I have a private dock 50 feet so my dingy has a place as well. Think about what is needed and what the costs are to replace and can you do it or will you have to pay to have it done Good Sailing Let the wind Blow your hair and keep you safe.
Jack S/V UsCa San Juan 30
Chevy1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 12:23   #3

I have raced a lot on the SJ24 back in the day. First, they did not have an inboard engine... at least none that I saw did. Is that what you mean by an engine problem? They were well built for their type, not a heavy cruising boat but competitive with other production types. Check keel bolts for rust or leaks, check sail condition as sails can cost thousands. Water intrusion in the rudder or deck is a concern in any older boat. If the cabin leaks inside then you can probably count on deck water intrusion. Beware of leaks from the aluminum toerails... these are common and very hard to fix if it's not just a bolt leak. If the boat doesn't smell mildew and seems dry it is probably OK... but then we've had a very dry year too.
Fun little boats, they are IOR racing types so do roll some going downwind in a breeze but nothing huge.
I would probably choose a different boat in the 25 foot range, maybe a Ranger 26 or a Coronado 25, but you use what you get and learn to like it. A Catalina 27 can be had pretty cheap and will retain it's value well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:32   #4

My advice is , don't do it. There are so many hidden costs to boat ownershp. Insurance, dock fees, registration. By the time you are finished with these and all the cost of materials and time spent, you may never want to sail, and/or have spent more money than you would buying a boat in sailing condition. Boat Angel is a clearing house for derelict boats that owners can't sell or have abandoned. My advice is to find a motivated seller who has a boat that they no longer can keep for health, financial or other reasons and is anxious to sell. You can get some incredible deals if a person has been relocated or lost interest and doesn't want to pay dock fees. There are plenty of boats available that can be sailed, but will needs some work. These are hard to unload to people willing to pay for a boat that they can sail without any work and as such, the price is often quite negotiable. Also spend some time visiting marinas and ask the owners if they know of any boats that are available. They have the inside scoop on the shape of a boat and often have boats that owners have abandoned for various reasons (unpaid bills). Getting title and the necessary paperwork can be a hassle, but the marinas will be glad to get some money and clear the yard or dock for paying customers. Whatever you do, don't buy a derelict boat if you want to go sailing and run, don't walk from this wreck on ebay. Take my word, you will be sorry if you buy it.
diguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 16:47   #5

The catalina 27 is a decent boat. One guy from here in New Jersey outfitted his and completed a circumnavigation. If you can't get a survey, learn all you can about what to look for before you buy a boat. There is a paperback out on how to survey a boat. Look for wet (soft or spongey) decks, blisters in hull and the all time deal killer oilcanning. Buying a quality made boat insures some help, but still leaves a lot of room for problems. Look at fittings, where the hull and deck mate and for signs of water damage. If you know a knowledgeable sailer, take them along. Make sure the sails have some life in them or you have a place to buy used sails. Lastly, make sure that you have a reserve fund or a source of income that will allow you to afford things as they come up. Boating costs! Life jackets, radios, lights, binoculars. There always seems to be some other item that will make the boat safer or more fun to sail. You won't enjoy boating if you have to use rent money to pay for it. One solution is to find another sailing couple that you have a good relationship with and share the work and expense. Most boats spend more if not all their time in dock or at their mooring. I guess what I'm saying is , do your homework. If you have a place to keep it and a vehicle to tow with, a trailer sailer is the best way to make sailing affordable.
diguerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 20:55   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

I have a San Juan 7.7. We love it, not the fastest, or the slowest but stable durable and reliable. I've heard the 24 is faster, one of the fastest in the line. But I haven't been on one.
There has been improvements to this one at some point, all lines to the cockpit, and clutches on the halyards. But it does look like it has been abandoned. Check the rigging, and sails. It lists a good stock of sails but that means nothing if they are blown out. Definitely will need a lot of cleaning.
It also shows no trailer. Not a problem if you never move it over land but it is a trailer sailor with no trailer:-?
It could be a good deal if you like projects, or a cheap boat to use short term. It could also suck your wallet dry.
Look it over carefully before committing.
Let us know if you get it:-)
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 21:11   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

It has no tiller
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 22:27   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
It has no tiller
I must have missed that in all the disclaimers. In any case, if it has a tiller head, you can get a hardwood wheelbarrow handle for a tiller for less than $20.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
san juan