Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 23:07   #1

Rent-to-Own

Hi all
Has anybody got a 35 to 40 ft sailboat for approximate
30 to $40.000 and willing to support rent to buy program , have $1000 deposit and $1000 per month , further deposit of $10,000 in 6 months
Can have rent direct debited from employer/wages , will have upon agreement between you and I a solicitor drawn contract at my expense
And will take on repairs and maintenance 100% ,desperate to live dream living on a yacht after divorce ,please call or reply to thread cheers robert
Robfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 23:21   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
That's a lot of trust. What happens if you sail off?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 00:00   #3

True, but that's not me I work for a living driving sweeper truck all over sth east qld , divorced in Melbourne and moved to gold
coast where some family is and basically I just rent a room with an Indian family , my life long dream is to have a yacht like an uncle of mine
But live on it ,I love water , I just want to live my dream and do something for myself , yes you are right about trust and sailing off
That I can promise will not happen I want to live dockside for a while , I have commitments with work and pregnant daughter and her partner here on the coast also , all I can say is if anyone can commit just meet me , I can supply any info they require or answers needed ,if they like I can join a yacht club if it helps, how cool would it be to come home from work to your on water and on weekends take her for a spin drop anchor kick back , fish take family on joy sails that's ,i am an honest person
Old 15-12-2010, 00:14   #4

Also if there is some one out there that can accommodate ,adding to last thread if it helps , I basically went through hell ,with divorce18 months ago practically walked out with nothing , I sure as anything would not want police after me or go to jail over $30 $40k if for some unknown reason I cannot meet rent the yacht would be returned at my loss of deposit and rent payed as is rented until full amount payed in rent , I would also lose on maintenance ext ext all of this would be drawn in contract
Old 15-12-2010, 04:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Good luck in your new life, single and afloat.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 04:47   #6

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Welcome aboard, I wish you well on your search. There are a lot of good people out there that just need a hand up.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 20:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Good luck in your new life, single and afloat.
Cheers thanks very much have a good xmas
Old 15-12-2010, 20:14   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227
Welcome aboard, I wish you well on your search. There are a lot of good people out there that just need a hand up.
Thank you very much ,
Have a good Xmas
Old 15-12-2010, 20:27   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Robfree what your looking for is very unusual basically if you security and bone-fides are enough why not get a loan and buy the thing. It's too difficult for the renter to securitise the deal

Dave
Old 15-12-2010, 22:23   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow
Robfree what your looking for is very unusual basically if you security and bone-fides are enough why not get a loan and buy the thing. It's too difficult for the renter to securitise the deal

Dave
Hi Dave ,
I hear what your saying , but went through divorce 18 months ago and as normal I got nothing but the bills
Very smart woman , I struggled renting on my own and defaulted a couple of times , I don't want to pay massive interest,
Now slowly getting somewhere I was informed by friends to rent to buy to get good credit rating back , I guess I look desperate
But I really want to do this ,tired of share accomodation .
Cheers and thanks for your thoughts Dave,
Robert
Old 15-12-2010, 23:21   #11

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah
Just wanted to let you know that these deals are out there. Our dream boat came along earlier than she was supposed to when we hadn't saved for her full purchase price. It ended up working better for both us and the seller to agree to pay a little over 1/3 as initial payment, and then half of the remainder in the first year in monthly installments, with an agreement to come to new terms for the remaining portion over the next year. We completed an official bill of sale (the boat is officially ours) and also wrote up a "promisary note" detailing the terms of the deal.

It's been working well for us. Have faith! By coincidence, the previous owner is a friend of one of a coworker of mine years ago. However, we would likely have come to a similar arrangement even if she had not been. I'm not sure how well it would hold up in court, but I doubt it would ever get to that point.
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 00:58   #12

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
I manage to live pretty well on my 26'. Maybe you should start slow and get the big boat when you have some more bucks?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 05:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by serah
Just wanted to let you know that these deals are out there. Our dream boat came along earlier than she was supposed to when we hadn't saved for her full purchase price. It ended up working better for both us and the seller to agree to pay a little over 1/3 as initial payment, and then half of the remainder in the first year in monthly installments, with an agreement to come to new terms for the remaining portion over the next year. We completed an official bill of sale (the boat is officially ours) and also wrote up a "promisary note" detailing the terms of the deal.

It's been working well for us. Have faith! By coincidence, the previous owner is a friend of one of a coworker of mine years ago. However, we would likely have come to a similar arrangement even if she had not been. I'm not sure how well it would hold up in court, but I doubt it would ever get to that point.
Thank you , you have just stepped my confidence up a level
Old 16-12-2010, 05:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tager
I manage to live pretty well on my 26'. Maybe you should start slow and get the big boat when you have some more bucks?
I thought about that but I feel I would probably be a bit cramped, especially with my little pup companion
Although you are right , I still need to be comfortable with space
Cheers, rob
Old 16-12-2010, 05:34   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler
Rob,
Best of luck to you- If you haven't already, be sure to search the forum for additional costs associated with living aboard. There is an active thread going right now about what people pay for docking- that might be a good place to start. Obviously the costs vary greatly based on location, size of the boat, and the standard of living, but it can add up and being educated on the whole matter can only help with your planning.

My wife and I live in different states this year because of our jobs so I'm living aboard our boat until she moves down to FL. Owning a boat and living aboard is often not any cheaper than an apartment, but it's worth every penny!

Jeff
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rent to own