Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 07:52   #1

Mooring: Buy vs Rent

I am trying to figure out if I want to buy a mooring. Just as a rough estimate, how much would it cost to set a new mooring (all the equipment, and paying a diver)? How much to maintain? Obviously, the value of the mooring depends a lot on location (Milwaukee, not Catalina Island), but, I just wanted some idea of what it would cost for me to set a new one, vs. buy one already set.
Bristol 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:50   #2

I think the cost is going to be extremely location specific and so, unless you happen to get a response from someone who has bought a mooring in the Milwaukee area, any information you get here is going to be fairly useless. I live in the Tampa Bay area, for example, and while you can buy a dock space here (often called a dockominium), I have never heard of anyone selling or buying a mooring.

Your best bet is probably to try to track down someone who owns a mooring in the area you are interested in and ask them.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:26   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
And buying a mooring from somebody else if fraught with potential problems if the local bureaucrats require permits, registration, etc. all of which your "seller" never bothered to do.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:36   #4

As it turns out, I found someone selling a mooring here. And yes, the price probably does vary a lot by location. In Milwaukee, the only anchorages protected enough to moor are within the city breakwater. So, there is a registry of private mooring equipment. I understand some do drop their own equipment without registering.

So, the answer is: less than $1000 for a mooring here, more than $100,000 for a mooring on Catalina Island, CA.
Bristol 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2011, 00:39   #5

Mooring/Berth for sale or Rent ??

It is very hard to judge whether to just rent or lease a mooring. Personally I think that buying a mooring or marina berth is a good investment.

Check out this site for some info:

Why Invest? - Find Marina Berths and Moorings for Rent and Sale Worldwide - Ultimate Berths

I recently found a marina berth(using Ultimate Berths) for sale which I have know bought. I am also looking for another as the demand for marina berths is rising.

I have also just moved to Australia and a good mooring especially in Sydney is very hard to come by as there are all sorts of rules and regulations governing the buying & selling of Moorings. There is also a huge demand for marina berths as the amount of new boats being bought is far out weighing the amount of Marina Berths or Moorings available.
jackslate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, renting